pinkcandyfloss03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Q. In an investigation, a student wanted to identify the solutions is two beakers, A and B. She knew one beaker contained maltose solution and the other beaker contained glucose solution. Both solutions had the same concentration.
She did 2 separate biochemical tests on a sample from each beaker.

TEST 1- used benedicts solution to test for reducing sugar
TEST 2- added the enzyme maltase heated the mixture at 30 degrees
celc for 5 mins, and then used benedicts solution to test for
reducing sugar.

Results shown....
Test 1 Test 2
A red red
B red dark red

Explain the results for...
beaker A
beaker B
Sadjan_Stevens
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For Test 1, Benedict's solution showed a positive result for the reducing sugars Maltose and Glucose as expected, both with an equal and high concentration. Considering Test 2: Adding maltase to Beaker B broke down maltose into more glucose molecules (the moderate temperature allowing this to occur in a relatively short amount of time), since there are now more molecules/moles than we originally had (whilst the solvent remains the same) in Beaker B, the concentration has been increased and so Benedict's solution detected this larger concentration with more reduced Cu ions resulting in the darker colour. Maltase has no effect on Beaker A's glucose because of its tertiary structure and hence specific active site for maltose contrastingly explaining its repeated result between Test 1 and Test 2.
(This was,
1) Way too convoluted
2) Way too detailed
3) Wrong about Cu reduction?)
pinkcandyfloss03
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Sadjan_Stevens)
For Test 1, Benedict's solution showed a positive result for the reducing sugars Maltose and Glucose as expected, both with an equal and high concentration. Considering Test 2: Adding maltase to Beaker B broke down maltose into more glucose molecules (the moderate temperature allowing this to occur in a relatively short amount of time), since there are now more molecules/moles than we originally had (whilst the solvent remains the same) in Beaker B, the concentration has been increased and so Benedict's solution detected this larger concentration with more reduced Cu ions resulting in the darker colour. Maltase has no effect on Beaker A's glucose because of its tertiary structure and hence specific active site for maltose contrastingly explaining its repeated result between Test 1 and Test 2.
(This was,
1) Way too convoluted
2) Way too detailed
3) Wrong about Cu reduction?)
Thank you ! it helped a lot !
tai_lung95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi does anyone have the edexcel biologyAS papers 2020. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
16.3%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (57)
30.98%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (21)
11.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.7%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (9)
4.89%
I think it's an unfair expectation (48)
26.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.63%

Watched Threads