UK needs to stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia

Watch
IQRAKHAN077
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know this is a student form and a lot of discussions are study related but as humans we have moral responsibility of raising our voices against stuff that is wrong. UK government selling weapons to Saudi Arabia is killing thousands if not millions of innocent people in Yemen and before you all hop on the "False news " band wagon all this information was given by VICE news. They have documented it and even made a video about it and posted it on Facebook. Kindly check out the video. The reason why I am posting this on here is that a lot of students here are from the UK and Europe. You guys have more power compared to some one whose not a UK citizen. UK has done its damage on the world by stealing, by dividing people, by supporting war and getting away scratch free. I am kindly requesting you guys to spread it around in your communities and to oppose what your government is doing. Before you all go protecting the said government keep in mind that mothers in Yemen are watching helplessly as their kids are dying from hunger. They must be cursing all of those responsible for this and this does include us who are ignorant and happily let the governments do whatever they want because it doesn't concern us. UK is selling weapons and then preaching about peace? like how much more money do you need?. Its not like its used for the benefit of the citizens and even if a small teeny tiny amount is used all the UK citizens should be ashamed that their luxury and comfort comes at the price of an entire nation burning to the ground. the VICE video is titled "I broke Into an Arms Factory to destroy Fighter Jets" UK is a democratic state and that is why every UK citizen will be held responsible for all the wars that their government is actively or secretly taking part in.

I est my case
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your case is somewhat undercut my the patent absurdity of the first line, blaming the UK for killing "millions" in Yemen indeed. It's a shame, theres a good moral argument for restricting the flow of weapons to terrorists but when said argument is made in such a slaternly manner and completely ignores the complexity of it (thousands of jobs in britain depend on this and i rather doubt you'd have the stones to tell one of these people that theyre to live on the dole for the rest of their live with their family because you have recently watched a Vice video and decided there is a moral absolute here).

The fact of the matter is, whilst Yemen is currently popular in the media, it betrays a stunning ignorance of Britains (and many other countries for that matter) foreign and trade policy that you think this is somehow an exception. We sell guns to plenty of bad people and yet activists couldnt give a toss for them. Basing opposition to a trade on whats fashionable with twitter dwellers does little but utterly undermine the cause in my book.

As an addendum though, what makes you think that a teenager or student in the UK has any kind of power over government policy? Compared to a foreigner or not. If 1 million people marching against an illegal war doesnt change government policy i doubt a few hundred poorly written letters to an MP is going to do much. Especially when the defence sector is so important to the UK in terms of trade and foreign policy.
Iqra0903
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Your case is somewhat undercut my the patent absurdity of the first line, blaming the UK for killing "millions" in Yemen indeed. It's a shame, theres a good moral argument for restricting the flow of weapons to terrorists but when said argument is made in such a slaternly manner and completely ignores the complexity of it (thousands of jobs in britain depend on this and i rather doubt you'd have the stones to tell one of these people that theyre to live on the dole for the rest of their live with their family because you have recently watched a Vice video and decided there is a moral absolute here).

The fact of the matter is, whilst Yemen is currently popular in the media, it betrays a stunning ignorance of Britains (and many other countries for that matter) foreign and trade policy that you think this is somehow an exception. We sell guns to plenty of bad people and yet activists couldnt give a toss for them. Basing opposition to a trade on whats fashionable with twitter dwellers does little but utterly undermine the cause in my book.

As an addendum though, what makes you think that a teenager or student in the UK has any kind of power over government policy? Compared to a foreigner or not. If 1 million people marching against an illegal war doesnt change government policy i doubt a few hundred poorly written letters to an MP is going to do much. Especially when the defence sector is so important to the UK in terms of trade and foreign policy.
Addressing your last past of the comment even if UKs youth just realizes that whats happening is wrong does more then enough for me. These students will be leaders in the future and lets be honest the new generation does not give a **** what anyone thinks of them and does alot more to contribute to make the world a better place then someone born in the 1940s to 1980s period where the wars that were happened has no doubt had an impact on them. We realise that the earth is dying from the violence thats happening and trying our best to help it. All these leaders are going to die in the next 10 to 20 years so they do not give a dime how they leave this earth for the new generation. Its certainly about making sure the youths moral compass is healthy and active.

Secondly the people who are justifying on the fact that theres economic benefit to this, lose the right to have opinions about terrorists that come from these countries. Your helping in tearing a country to the ground yet when someone in anger and revenge decide to kills your people its immoral. Its saying like your going to beat someone black amd blue but they re just to take it all and if and when they retaliate in any sense and form its illegal and violent. Dont be justifying that with "well they should go after the people who are responsible for that and not innocent people" well these same people watch their kids being bombed to pieces in front of their eyes yet the armies would give no justice to those people as they were just merely in their way.

The same shameless countries make rules and then go against them without any repercussions. Lets all do this in the name of economy and jobs. Let just start selling our nuclear data to other countries. If your providing weapons to Saudia USA or Germany might start providing weapons to vengeful Yemen. Lets see how that turns out and we'll also see who is painted the villain here. If some of the so called 'best countries' dont give a **** about rules let all try to break it and see how far we can go.

Lets not forget how much UK and other countries are paying countries to keep all of its wraps. Does that not effwct the economy?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll be held responsible for all the wars my government is openly or secretly taking part in? Aye, jog on son, and take your Vice rhetoric with you.
Iqra0903
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I'll be held responsible for all the wars my government is openly or secretly taking part in? Aye, jog on son, and take your Vice rhetoric with you.
When ur taking the economic benefit why not take the responsibility? In this world nothing is free. If ur gaining something u better be ready to lose something. And come on Vice rhetoric?? Thats the best you got? Are u mad I am keeping myself educated? If thats true be mad😂. UK citizens complain immigrants taking your jobs and stuff well thats the least you guys owe them. Be thankful they aren't retaliating and thinking of revenge instead want to lead a simple life in ur country.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Iqra0903)
When ur taking the economic benefit why not take the responsibility? In this world nothing is free. If ur gaining something u better be ready to lose something. And come on Vice rhetoric?? Thats the best you got? Are u mad I am keeping myself educated? If thats true be mad😂. UK citizens complain immigrants taking your jobs and stuff well thats the least you guys owe them. Be thankful they aren't retaliating and thinking of revenge instead want to lead a simple life in ur country.
You're educating yourself... with Vice magazine, is Penthouse next?

If you come out with this 'Silence is Violence' stuff don't be surprised when people bristle and dismiss you. I've also never voiced any of these complaints you accuse me of.. where's the part where we discuss my revenge against false accusers? Maybe Gawker has a video on it. :rolleyes:
IQRAKHAN077
Rep:
?
You're educating yourself... with Vice magazine, is Penthouse next?

If you come out with this 'Silence is Violence' stuff don't be surprised when people bristle and dismiss you. I've also never voiced any of these complaints you accuse me of.. where's the part where we discuss my revenge against false accusers? Maybe Gawker has a video on it. :rolleyes:
Yes. Its a magazine and a news resource. its only one of the many resources I use to educate myself. Reason I quoted this specific magazine is because it is a UK based company. Moving on you are right you never made any complaints but as someone gave a brief account of why UK is selling weapons I summed it all in one comment. by the way the "ur" here that im using is referencing to general UK citizens
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by IQRAKHAN077)
UK is a democratic state and that is why every UK citizen will be held responsible for all the wars that their government is actively or secretly taking part in.
Are you attempting to justify terrorism?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes. Its a magazine and a news resource. its only one of the many resources I use to educate myself. Reason I quoted this specific magazine is because it is a UK based company. Moving on you are right you never made any complaints but as someone gave a brief account of why UK is selling weapons I summed it all in one comment. by the way the "ur" here that im using is referencing to general UK citizens
Vice News, Headquartered in New York City.
Vice Magazine, founded by Canadians.
Vice Media, American company.
IQRAKHAN077
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Are you attempting to justify terrorism?
I dont know are you justifying selling arms to a terror mongering state ? every action has a reaction. Violence breeds violence. War breeds more destruction.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I dont know are you justifying selling arms to a terror mongering state ? every action has a reaction. Violence breeds violence. War breeds more destruction.
All I need is a yes or no answer.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Iqra0903)
Addressing your last past of the comment even if UKs youth just realizes that whats happening is wrong does more then enough for me. These students will be leaders in the future and lets be honest the new generation does not give a **** what anyone thinks of them and does alot more to contribute to make the world a better place then someone born in the 1940s to 1980s period where the wars that were happened has no doubt had an impact on them. We realise that the earth is dying from the violence thats happening and trying our best to help it. All these leaders are going to die in the next 10 to 20 years so they do not give a dime how they leave this earth for the new generation. Its certainly about making sure the youths moral compass is healthy and active.
Id beg to differ, they seem to care a hell of a lot what people think of them. to the point that its risible how upet and angry it makes them. That applies to older people as well but the students age seems a stand out example at present.
What violence sorry? As to the earth 'dyng' im not sure your hyperbole helps here. Climate change is not the same as seeing the planet turn into a barren rock which you just stated. After all, lets be quite honest here, the problem is less the climate changing as opposed to the speed of it (the earth has been much warmer in distant history than it is now). Climate change is a problem, it isnt a global extinction event problem tough and certainly not in our lifetimes.
What makes you think tjhe youths 'moral compass is healthy and active'? As with all youths their politics will change as they get to grips with the fact life is different from what they might think it is living in their family bubbles. Just look at the 'flower [power' generation as a case in point, as theyre the ones youre currently bashing after all.
What does any of that have to do with arms sales though?

\
Secondly the people who are justifying on the fact that theres economic benefit to this, lose the right to have opinions about terrorists that come from these countries. Your helping in tearing a country to the ground yet when someone in anger and revenge decide to kills your people its immoral. Its saying like your going to beat someone black amd blue but they re just to take it all and if and when they retaliate in any sense and form its illegal and violent. Dont be justifying that with "well they should go after the people who are responsible for that and not innocent people" well these same people watch their kids being bombed to pieces in front of their eyes yet the armies would give no justice to those people as they were just merely in their way.
To be perfectly frank, if anything, you just lost the right to have an opinion by trying to deny anyone else it for no particular reason. You can disagree with their rationale all you like but you have no business telling them their opinion is worthless, especially when its likely more grounded in facts than this emotive one of yours.
"I" am doing nothing. I dont even live in the UK at present.
Either way is there a point in this paragraph? As it doesnt seem to be addressing anything in particular as there is a quantum difference between sellng someone a gun and their decision to use it. There is no moral equivilence between the two.
The same shameless countries make rules and then go against them without any repercussions. Lets all do this in the name of economy and jobs. Let just start selling our nuclear data to other countries. If your providing weapons to Saudia USA or Germany might start providing weapons to vengeful Yemen. Lets see how that turns out and we'll also see who is painted the villain here. If some of the so called 'best countries' dont give a **** about rules let all try to break it and see how far we can go.
Welcome to the world of realpolitik.
Our nuclear data?
I doubt it, Yemen doesnt have any money and it can hardly be 'vengeful' given theyre in the middle of a civil war so obviously some of them are perfectly happy with what KSA is doing. Case in point, dont try and simplify a highly complex civil war to suit your political narrative. Its ridiculous and completely undermines any point you migt once have had.
Lets not forget how much UK and other countries are paying countries to keep all of its wraps. Does that not effwct the economy?
The UK is payig a country to keep it under wraps? What? :lol: That makes no sense at all? Asiide from it not being a secret whats happening in Yemen the UK (or whoever youre portraying as evil this time round) cant 'pay a country' to do anything, countries arent papers.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its also a 3rd rate source of news that is little more respected than the DM in terms of accuracy or bias. As Diddy said it certainly isnt Brtish.
I find it amusing that you think 'UK citizens' have a say over defence export policy though, never mind your justification for terror attacks based on a cursory reading of a claptrap magazine that is about as authoritative on FP as that odd guy in the pub garden yelling about 'araps takin our women'.
AlphaZeta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This should clear everything up.......

imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Look at you saying something I agree with...
MatureStudent37
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know this is a student form and a lot of discussions are study related but as humans we have moral responsibility of raising our voices against stuff that is wrong. UK government selling weapons to Saudi Arabia is killing thousands if not millions of innocent people in Yemen and before you all hop on the "False news " band wagon all this information was given by VICE news. They have documented it and even made a video about it and posted it on Facebook. Kindly check out the video. The reason why I am posting this on here is that a lot of students here are from the UK and Europe. You guys have more power compared to some one whose not a UK citizen. UK has done its damage on the world by stealing, by dividing people, by supporting war and getting away scratch free. I am kindly requesting you guys to spread it around in your communities and to oppose what your government is doing. Before you all go protecting the said government keep in mind that mothers in Yemen are watching helplessly as their kids are dying from hunger. They must be cursing all of those responsible for this and this does include us who are ignorant and happily let the governments do whatever they want because it doesn't concern us. UK is selling weapons and then preaching about peace? like how much more money do you need?. Its not like its used for the benefit of the citizens and even if a small teeny tiny amount is used all the UK citizens should be ashamed that their luxury and comfort comes at the price of an entire nation burning to the ground. the VICE video is titled "I broke Into an Arms Factory to destroy Fighter Jets" UK is a democratic state and that is why every UK citizen will be held responsible for all the wars that their government is actively or secretly taking part in.

I est my case
I’ll take it you’re Iranian.

Are you going to stop you’re government sending weapons to the Rebels in Yemen? I thought not. You’d be disappeared within minutes if you broke ranks.

How’s that new Nokia Siemens monitoring kit coming along. Have those lovely German engineers ironed out all of the flaws?

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/me...uit/index.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (160)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (479)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (368)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (459)
14.01%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (154)
4.7%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (199)
6.07%
Loneliness (280)
8.54%
Financial worries (114)
3.48%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (150)
4.58%
Lack of real life entertainment (180)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (295)
9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (307)
9.37%

Watched Threads