The Student Room Group

Neuroscience

I would like to study a neuroscience degree to eventually work as a data scientist or within AI. To do something like this would a neuroscience degree be enough? As I have seen posts on Reddit claiming that I would also need to do a "major/minor" in computing but we don't get to do that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by yeahmanidk
I would like to study a neuroscience degree to eventually work as a data scientist or within AI. To do something like this would a neuroscience degree be enough? As I have seen posts on Reddit claiming that I would also need to do a

Also need to do a what?

I'd be very careful looking at which neuroscience degrees you do, the vast majority to my knowledge focus on molecular neuroscience which would not prepare you as much for data science/AI work (unless this work would involve processing data from molecular neuroscience related areas like drug screening data). Unfortunately I don't think the degrees exist yet that properly train people for this stuff (although I am seeing more shifts in that direction), if you want to go down that route you would probably have to train yourself in programming externally
Reply 2
Original post by QuentinM
Also need to do a what?

I'd be very careful looking at which neuroscience degrees you do, the vast majority to my knowledge focus on molecular neuroscience which would not prepare you as much for data science/AI work (unless this work would involve processing data from molecular neuroscience related areas like drug screening data). Unfortunately I don't think the degrees exist yet that properly train people for this stuff (although I am seeing more shifts in that direction), if you want to go down that route you would probably have to train yourself in programming externally

need to do a "major/minor" in computing but we don't get to do that.
Original post by yeahmanidk
need to do a "major/minor" in computing but we don't get to do that.

You can do a combined honours degree at several universities where you do get a chance to "major" and "minor" in different subjects, but that's the extent of my knowledge on that stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending