The Student Room Group

ICL A100 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlishAsh
How do we sign up for it?

Not too sure sorry, I'm a first year but you'll probably get an email about it closer to the date.
Original post by Gunner772
Not too sure sorry, I'm a first year but you'll probably get an email about it closer to the date.

No worries. Thank you!
How does the tutorial system work at Imperial?
No worries. Thank you!

Welcome!
Original post by Pyruvic Acid

We usually have tutorials after having covered some content on a topic. For example, we had a tutorial on digestion after having had 3-4 lectures on the digestive system. Tutorials involve working in small groups on a case and discussing the answers with tutors.
We usually have tutorials after having covered some content on a topic. For example, we had a tutorial on digestion after having had 3-4 lectures on the digestive system. Tutorials involve working in small groups on a case and discussing the answers with tutors.

How often would you have tutorials? Thanks
How often would you have tutorials? Thanks

Depends on the topics tbh, but mostly 1-2 times a week and lectures are either delivered live with powerpoints uploaded beforehand or pre recorded and uploaded.
Depends on the topics tbh, but mostly 1-2 times a week and lectures are either delivered live with powerpoints uploaded beforehand or pre recorded and uploaded.

Do you have placements in first year?
Do you have placements in first year?

Yup, Imperial actually updated their curriculum two years ago to make it more patient centered and less based on some of the older unnecessary topics like niche Biochem stuff. In the first and second terms you'll have a GP placement day once every two weeks where you'll shadow doctors and talk to patients and then you'll have a two week hospital placement in May.
Second year you continue with the fortnightly GP days for the first two terms and also have two x two week placements, one in December and one in March. Third year has three x 10 week placements, one at a GP practice, one in a surgical speciality and one in a medical speciality. Fourth year is intercalation.

@Gunner772 has given a very helpful answer already but I thought I'd just chip in to mention that tutorials at Imperial can be vary varied and depend a lot on who's teaching them and which module they are. It's certainly not the Oxbridge 1-1/2 small group system.
Just to give you an idea, our tutorials have included: gastro ones in breakout rooms of 50 people, with a tutor there all the time taking us through some questions, cases and anatomy (very very much the tutor talking and you listening, so like a slighlty more interactive lecture); neuro tutorials in breakout rooms of 10-20 where you're left to get on with a case study for 20mins or so with the tutor dropping in occasionally and overseeing multiple groups; a cardiorespiratory tutorial where we basically just went in to SAF and learn how to take blood pressure in groups of 30 (tables of 3).

It may well be different for you guys if there's more in person teaching but basically 'tutorial' sessions are just anything which isn't a lecture and can include a hell of a lot of stuff.
Original post by becausethenight
@Gunner772 has given a very helpful answer already but I thought I'd just chip in to mention that tutorials at Imperial can be vary varied and depend a lot on who's teaching them and which module they are. It's certainly not the Oxbridge 1-1/2 small group system.
Just to give you an idea, our tutorials have included: gastro ones in breakout rooms of 50 people, with a tutor there all the time taking us through some questions, cases and anatomy (very very much the tutor talking and you listening, so like a slighlty more interactive lecture); neuro tutorials in breakout rooms of 10-20 where you're left to get on with a case study for 20mins or so with the tutor dropping in occasionally and overseeing multiple groups; a cardiorespiratory tutorial where we basically just went in to SAF and learn how to take blood pressure in groups of 30 (tables of 3).

It may well be different for you guys if there's more in person teaching but basically 'tutorial' sessions are just anything which isn't a lecture and can include a hell of a lot of stuff.

^^
Original post by becausethenight

Thanks!
HI everyone, I was offline for sometime. I am wondering, has anyone received offer holder email? Thanks
I am a gap year student and I just realized that my offer is conditional. I am wondering why? My grades are over the required. I have already received an unconditional offer from another uni. What could be the reason for this I am wondering? Any thoughts? Thanks
Original post by miapopmia
I am a gap year student and I just realized that my offer is conditional. I am wondering why? My grades are over the required. I have already received an unconditional offer from another uni. What could be the reason for this I am wondering? Any thoughts? Thanks

What are the conditions?

Some universities will not issue unconditional offers "as a matter of principle", and the conditions may be something trivial that the vast vast majority will pass (e.g. DBS checks, occupational health etc.)

Post originally created by ecolier.
The conditional offer states the minimum requirements (grades) and DBS check. The unconditional offer just states that it is final if DBS is passed.
Original post by miapopmia
The conditional offer states the minimum requirements (grades) and DBS check. The unconditional offer just states that it is final if DBS is passed.

Yep, as I have guessed.

99.999% potential med students will pass the DBS checks, so it is an "in effect" unconditional offer.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Rip to the 0.001%
Thanks for clarification. So Imperial by principle does not give unconditional until DBS is passed? When can we expect the DBS process, I am so impatient to finish everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest