Report 4 weeks ago
I genuinely can't believe I got an offer, but am not complaining nonetheless
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by triestostudy)
That’s great! Thank you for sharing your experience. How was the workload initially - do you feel like you were thrown into the deep end or was it a more manageable transition with more work accumulating over time?
No worries
Um, it's actually quite hard for me to reflect on that in a meaningful way because I think/hope most of my struggles with the workload were due to COVID and the weirdness of doing online lectures, which isn't really Imperial's fault. There is a lot of content but I appreciate that we get taught in lots of different ways (lectures, tutorials, labs, case studies etc) and that different areas of the course tend to 'map', so even if you don't get something first time round you get lots of attempts. Imperial has a LOT of contact hours (more than many med schools) which on the plus side means it's very structured and you're not left to your own devices worrying about what to cover, but also it can be a lot and there's little room for manoeuvre if you fall behind (I am pleased I've at least watched every lecture so can actually revise now, not try and catch up!) There's a primer course to complete in the summer and the first domain has a lot of A level-lite or A level adjacent content so you do get eased into it somewhat - the issue is really who to contact if you need help and Imperial being awful at communicating deadlines rather than "omg too much work".

Bit rambly but hopefully makes sense!
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pyruvic Acid)
I genuinely can't believe I got an offer, but am not complaining nonetheless
:yay:
Can't wait to see you at Fresher's
sometimeslight
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Mine was during COVID so unlikely to be representative :lol: AnnaBananana will know what it's usually like.

Essentially for the first 2 weeks you have introductory lectures explaining what the course is like and how it's structured which are quite chill, so except at the weekend there's uni stuff to go to. You have an occupational health appointment then as well and collect your iPad and ID card.
Most of the actual "Fresher's Fortnight" is organised by ICSU and ICSMSU (so you can go to both the medic's events and the Imperial events) and then clubs and socs will organise their own things too, usually pub nights. There's a societies fair for ICSU and ICSM which is usually where you find out what socs are doing, get on mailing lists etc. Ours were online and pretty terrible. The events are fairly typicaly uni things: a quiz, 'speed friending', a RAG treasure hunt, sport taster sessions, volunteering training sessions etc. Have a look at: https://www.icsmsu.com/freshers-space/ for way much more info on what Freshers 2020 was like
hey can I ask what iPad you get and how much use have you gotten out of it?
Josh_J
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No worries
Um, it's actually quite hard for me to reflect on that in a meaningful way because I think/hope most of my struggles with the workload were due to COVID and the weirdness of doing online lectures, which isn't really Imperial's fault. There is a lot of content but I appreciate that we get taught in lots of different ways (lectures, tutorials, labs, case studies etc) and that different areas of the course tend to 'map', so even if you don't get something first time round you get lots of attempts. Imperial has a LOT of contact hours (more than many med schools) which on the plus side means it's very structured and you're not left to your own devices worrying about what to cover, but also it can be a lot and there's little room for manoeuvre if you fall behind (I am pleased I've at least watched every lecture so can actually revise now, not try and catch up!) There's a primer course to complete in the summer and the first domain has a lot of A level-lite or A level adjacent content so you do get eased into it somewhat - the issue is really who to contact if you need help and Imperial being awful at communicating deadlines rather than "omg too much work".

Bit rambly but hopefully makes sense!
Unrelated but can a student on maintenance £10,725 and imperial bursary £4000 get by in London without having to get a job?
tinymedic
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hiya! Do you know how well commuters fit into the community at imperial? I’m definitely staying at home during the course, so was wondering if there are any commuter experiences that can be shared and any advice?
isabelmarant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Got an offer tonight!! Am going to firm as soon as possible
Medic_20
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m so pleased to have got an offer! Are there any other grad students that have offers?

tinymedic - similarly to you, I’ll be renting privately so want to be sure I can still integrate well with the rest of the year. Any experiences from current imperial medics?
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sometimeslight)
hey can I ask what iPad you get and how much use have you gotten out of it?
It's basically just a normal iPad like this (regular size): https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-10-2
Imperial give you a fancy case that says "Imperial College School of Medicine" too and I bought an Apple Pencil which is really useful, although you can get the cheap knockoff ones apparently :lol:

I use it a lot but not as much as my laptop - it's useful to draw out diagrams, self test and time stuff, and we have to take it whenever we go on campus to sign in. I don't make notes with it because I gave up on notes (just make Anki!) but I'll be using it a lot in revision to draw stuff out. Some people just use theirs, some people don't use it at all - the most common seems to be using it as a 'nice extra' with a laptop and on placement.

(Original post by Josh_J)
Unrelated but can a student on maintenance £10,725 and imperial bursary £4000 get by in London without having to get a job?
That's not my situation personally so I honestly can't comment. Some students I know with the bursary don't work and live in halls but I have no idea what their personal financial situations are. Halls costs will vary from £87-350ish a week depending on your halls, and living costs are impossible to estimate at the moment due to COVID (but expect to spend a lot on tube/buses potentially)
This may be something to flag at an offer holder day?

(Original post by tinymedic)
Hiya! Do you know how well commuters fit into the community at imperial? I’m definitely staying at home during the course, so was wondering if there are any commuter experiences that can be shared and any advice?
I've been living at home for the past 3 months with COVID and didn't really notice a difference honestly beyond not having to cook :lol:
People who have very long commutes that mean they have to catch trains and leave immediately after on campus teaching probably miss out a bit, as people get lunch and stuff, but all of those people I know would be in halls without COVID as their commutes would be too long to do every day. As a London uni we do seem to have lots of students who live at home and they seem pretty involved on the course?
tinymedic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's basically just a normal iPad like this (regular size): https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-10-2
Imperial give you a fancy case that says "Imperial College School of Medicine" too and I bought an Apple Pencil which is really useful, although you can get the cheap knockoff ones apparently :lol:

I use it a lot but not as much as my laptop - it's useful to draw out diagrams, self test and time stuff, and we have to take it whenever we go on campus to sign in. I don't make notes with it because I gave up on notes (just make Anki!) but I'll be using it a lot in revision to draw stuff out. Some people just use theirs, some people don't use it at all - the most common seems to be using it as a 'nice extra' with a laptop and on placement.

That's not my situation personally so I honestly can't comment. Some students I know with the bursary don't work and live in halls but I have no idea what their personal financial situations are. Halls costs will vary from £87-350ish a week depending on your halls, and living costs are impossible to estimate at the moment due to COVID (but expect to spend a lot on tube/buses potentially)
This may be something to flag at an offer holder day?

I've been living at home for the past 3 months with COVID and didn't really notice a difference honestly beyond not having to cook :lol:
People who have very long commutes that mean they have to catch trains and leave immediately after on campus teaching probably miss out a bit, as people get lunch and stuff, but all of those people I know would be in halls without COVID as their commutes would be too long to do every day. As a London uni we do seem to have lots of students who live at home and they seem pretty involved on the course?
PRSOM! Thank you for that, I hope to make some commuter friends if I go!
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tinymedic)
PRSOM! Thank you for that, I hope to make some commuter friends if I go!
I am sure you would! And non-commuter - off the top of my head I have 4 friends living at home not because of COVID
miapopmia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, Just got an offer tonight! I am so happy I can finally relax
Medic_20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know becausethenight has also addressed your question but I thought perhaps Imperial’s “cost of living in London” page would be helpful: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/.../living-costs/

You’ll need to pad out the recommended budget in reality as London can be quite expensive. I did my first undergraduate degree at UCL and found myself spending more than is stated on these budgets.

Hope this helps!
neff1e123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So nice to be joining this chat......I have been jumping around my room with happiness! GUYS WE DID IT!!!!
miapopmia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by neff1e123)
So nice to be joining this chat......I have been jumping around my room with happiness! GUYS WE DID IT!!!!
Congrats! I know the feeling, sameee
Medic_20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by miapopmia)
Hello, Just got an offer tonight! I am so happy I can finally relax
(Original post by neff1e123)
Congratulations!
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Medic_20)
I know becausethenight has also addressed your question but I thought perhaps Imperial’s “cost of living in London” page would be helpful: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/pg/.../living-costs/

You’ll need to pad out the recommended budget in reality as London can be quite expensive. I did my first undergraduate degree at UCL and found myself spending more than is stated on these budgets.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for sharing that, I forgot it existed!
And yeah £29.60/week on transport and £62/week on food seems...unrealistic
guava1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, just experience from my brother (he didn’t study medicine though)who had that amount of money to spend in his first year. He was absolutely fine, it covered rent, travel, food and phone bills etc . I guess it depends where your accommodation is (since some of them are really expensive) as well as other factors. He lived in Woodward btw. I’ll probably get that amount next year and he told me it would be fine.
AnnaBananana
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have a bit less than that - I don’t get the full maintenance loan and I don’t qualify for the imperial bursary because of household income, I get a lower loan which my parents top up by a monthly DD.

I was in WW during year 1 and I’m now in a shared flat near charing cross hospital. My rent now is similar per week to WW except we have bills on top and its a 52 week lease. I’m not a party animal but I do like to have a social life... Pre covid i’d go out 1-2 nights a week, eat well but take lunch into uni most days, and i liked to batch cook so I had something in the fridge ready to heat up for dinner after a long day. Obviously its been different this year. I’ve actually been fine for money - I've had to keep a eye on my budget but I've had the money to do all the things I've wanted to do. I did have a bit of money in the bank when I started from my job during sixth form and I spent a bit of that during freshers but I've still got most of it in case i need it. I don’t work in term time but quite a few of my friend do online tutoring.
kosh_ki
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
heya just a few questions
- is it possible to defer to 2022 entry now or is it too late?
- I'm a private candidate and i can't find any test centres right now - i have a conditional offer to fulfil by Aug this year, is there any indication that unis will take a similar approach to last year and reinstate offers to those who were unable to meet them due to exam cancellations?
- is the imperial bursary available to those who already have a degree?
- is anyone else a graduate (pls hmu)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (198)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (571)
14.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (443)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (541)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (196)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (236)
6%
Loneliness (330)
8.39%
Financial worries (145)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (153)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (178)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (221)
5.62%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (352)
8.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (369)
9.38%

Watched Threads