Tinder to introduce background checks

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure how to feel about this to be honest. On the one hand it could well have a good impact in terms of harm reduction (several plods have gone on record as saying it could have helped prevent murders such as that of Grace Millaine and other crimes) On the flip side, the idea of some shoddy app (or people for that matter) being allowed to invade your privacy in such a manner is very troubling. One would have to give it some serious thought as to whether the potential for protecting people (both women and men) outweighs the serious privacy concerns. In turn, i'd like to see if this has any notable benefit - after all, on paper it can appear quite good but theres a difference between theory and practice after all.

I think my main gripe here is allowing the owners of tinder the right to actually run these checks (i take it people remember that unfortunate data theft from that cheating website a few years ago?) or, depending on how its done, allowing strangers to literally vet you. I get the harm reduction aspect of it and respect it but theres something deeply anathema to me in allowing strangers to comb through your background. Although in some ways they can already but nevertheless.

What does everyone else think about this? Do you think this move will help protect people or are these claims over hyped and the privacy concerns should come formost?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56409427
64Lightbulbs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The article doesn't seem to clarify whether it is something existing users have to consent to before it is done (and you'd assume it'd be included in the privacy policy/tos upon sign up for new users). That would be my only worry, that you wouldn't have a chance to delete your account if you decided you didn't want to give tinder access to that data. Otherwise it's just a check for information that is already publicly available.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Gambling companies and the like require background checks, obviously for different reasons, but the idea of a private online company checking your details before your allowed membership to safeguard people isn’t exactly new.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
Gambling companies and the like require background checks, obviously for different reasons, but the idea of a private online company checking your details before your allowed membership to safeguard people isn’t exactly new.
I cant say ive ever been vetted by a gambling company?
This isnt the company doing it though, its allowing the users to.. that is a completely different thing to a copany vetting a customer which, as you noted, is relatively common. Allowing a stranger to vet you though..
Later this year, Tinder will allow users to view public records information of prospective dates using their name or mobile number.
RedGiant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
I cant say ive ever been vetted by a gambling company?
This isnt the company doing it though, its allowing the users to.. that is a completely different thing to a copany vetting a customer which, as you noted, is relatively common. Allowing a stranger to vet you though..
Gambling is a highly regulated industry so they must do AML/identity checks (as do lots of businesses in lots of sectors, such as auction sites, digital service providers, lettings agencies, dating sites, etc). As for what Tinder is doing in the USA, it is all public-record information which anybody can obtain if they know where to look; Tinder is just making it easier for people to do so. For example, you can look up anyone's full name, address, time of residency and co-residents by using the open electoral register here in the UK (which anyone can opt out of).

A defined data-controller can legally do whatever they like provided that it is fairly defined in the relevant privacy policy that the user has agreed to, and provided that it is compliant with data protection legislation. The simple solution is to not use a service that processes data in a way that the data subject laments, which will of course require them to read the privacy policy.
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If it's an issue, why don't they just ban these violent people from using the app?

While perhaps Tinder wouldn't be legally liable for the murder if a woman read that a man had killed his previous 5 dates on the first date yet still decided to give him a chance because his profile said he had a Ferrari, does it really make sense to be matching people to someone who needs a health warning?
Djtoodles
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
If it's an issue, why don't they just ban these violent people from using the app?

While perhaps Tinder wouldn't be legally liable for the murder if a woman read that a man had killed his previous 5 dates on the first date yet still decided to give him a chance because his profile said he had a Ferrari, does it really make sense to be matching people to someone who needs a health warning?
Lol she would surely be a Darwin Award recipient.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (439)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (334)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (416)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.67%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.57%
Financial worries (109)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (161)
5.41%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (262)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (281)
9.44%

Watched Threads