lisawebb15
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I really hate chemistry and find it really difficult to revise for it, how can I enjoy it and revise it, any techniques?
Charlie_Campbell
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
The best thing I did for chemistry revision was to sit down, after going over course content, and just do lots of past papers/practice questions. Also, for the stuff I was struggling with, I googled "AH Chemistry Unit 3 PowerPoints" (was always a weak point for me) and went through different PowerPoints to get a different view of course content. What course/level are you at?
Micklett
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Yeah, I’ve written my notes on most of the course and done it so that definitions or key terms are in colours so I can scan a page before I do questions on it.

Useful to write out how to do calculations (gravimetric analysis is a b****). Also make a poster or something for the synthesis part as there’s a web of reactions for it but beyond that past papers are the way forward...
lisawebb15
Rep:
(Original post by Charlie_Campbell)
The best thing I did for chemistry revision was to sit down, after going over course content, and just do lots of past papers/practice questions. Also, for the stuff I was struggling with, I googled "AH Chemistry Unit 3 PowerPoints" (was always a weak point for me) and went through different PowerPoints to get a different view of course content. What course/level are you at?
I’m doing aqa gcse
Charlie_Campbell
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lisawebb15)
I’m doing aqa gcse
That’s a shame because I could’ve given you some SQA chemistry resources (idk how similar the Scottish and English courses are). My other points still stand though about trying to do past papers. If GCSE chemistry is anything like N5 then it’s probably quite theoretical but if you decide to do A Level (Advanced Higher for me in Scotland) you’ll probs find it gets much more interesting. If there’s any other advice I can give you or any other questions you have let me know.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I really hate chemistry and find it really difficult to revise for it, how can I enjoy it and revise it, any techniques?
Sounds like that you have no connection to that subject, that makes it difficult the most to learn for it. To gain an insight in chemistry, I would watch videos about chemistry in our evefryday life or about where chemistry is an important part of our life. Also some videos about experiments might help. All those things just to develop an imagination and to get a connection.

For terms, you can use cue cards to get the words in your mind. That is always the best method to learn.

For reactions and mechanisms, even for chemical industrial products and their uses you can create a mind-map or a poster you can stick on your walls. Look at them usually and make clear the meanings (products) and the steps (reactions and mechanisms) for yourself.

And the most important thing: talk about the chemistry stuff, as if you are in front of a mirror and try to explain a person what did you learn. Explain it in your own words! if you don't soliloquize and really talk to people (students, parents, etc.), make sure that your discussion partners are productive and able to stimulate a discussion. It has no effect, if you and the people are bored and demotivated to talk about that stuff.

Sounds like a lot of work just to grasp the lessons! yeah, exactly that is! no pain, no gain! it is up to you...
Last edited by Kallisto; 8 months ago
username5696767
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Make it relevant.
lisawebb15
Rep:
That’s a shame because I could’ve given you some SQA chemistry resources (idk how similar the Scottish and English courses are). My other points still stand though about trying to do past papers. If GCSE chemistry is anything like N5 then it’s probably quite theoretical but if you decide to do A Level (Advanced Higher for me in Scotland) you’ll probs find it gets much more interesting. If there’s any other advice I can give you or any other questions you have let me know.
Ok thank you
lisawebb15
Rep:
(Original post by Kallisto)
Sounds like that you have no connection to that subject, that makes it difficult the most to learn for it. To gain an insight in chemistry, I would watch videos about chemistry in our evefryday life or about where chemistry is an important part of our life. Also some videos about experiments might help. All those things just to develop an imagination and to get a connection.

For terms, you can use cue cards to get the words in your mind. That is always the best method to learn.

For reactions and mechanisms, even for chemical industrial products and their uses you can create a mind-map or a poster you can stick on your walls. Look at them usually and make clear the meanings (products) and the steps (reactions and mechanisms) for yourself.

And the most important thing: talk about the chemistry stuff, as if you are in front of a mirror and try to explain a person what did you learn. Explain it in your own words! if you don't soliloquize and really talk to people (students, parents, etc.), make sure that your discussion partners are productive and able to stimulate a discussion. It has no effect, if you and the people are bored and demotivated to talk about that stuff.

Sounds like a lot of work just to grasp the lessons! yeah, exactly that is! no pain, no gain! it is up to you...
Ok thank you I’ll try my best
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Ok thank you I’ll try my best
And working with test and past papers is another thing you can do to test your understanding. Just to mention it!
clayt0n
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
That’s a shame because I could’ve given you some SQA chemistry resources
hey im doing ah chem this year, could you possibly let me know what resources you have?
Charlie_Campbell
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by clayt0n)
hey im doing ah chem this year, could you possibly let me know what resources you have?
Hi I made a ton of Quizlets for each unit and key area. I’ll link the class below. I’ve also done AH Bio and stuff for Higher and N5. Hope it helps you a bit.

https://quizlet.com/class/14449735/
clayt0n
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi I made a ton of Quizlets for each unit and key area. I’ll link the class below. I’ve also done AH Bio and stuff for Higher and N5. Hope it helps you a bit.

https://quizlet.com/class/14449735/
thank you so much!
Charlie_Campbell
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by clayt0n)
thank you so much!
No worries.
scimus63
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
try this site, it might help a bit www.science-revision.co.uk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed