The Student Room Group

Do you lose belly fat as you put on muscle?

I wanna put on lots of muscle but I also wanna lose my big belly, does this happen at the same time?
Reply 1
Yeah it does, as you exercise you burn fat as well as build muscle!
Original post by Down_worlder
Yeah it does, as you exercise you burn fat as well as build muscle!

even if im in a calorie surplus to gain muscle?
Reply 3
Original post by greengiant123
even if im in a calorie surplus to gain muscle?

That will depend on wether or not you are still in a surplus after you take into the account the effects of th e exercise you do.
Original post by JaseyB
That will depend on wether or not you are still in a surplus after you take into the account the effects of th e exercise you do.

well yea i will be bc im tryna gain muscle
Basically, yes. I believe these direct fat > muscle gains tend to be at the start of weight loss as the body somewhat reorders itself. Remember fat is in it's own way a surplus.

If you're already fat... maybe a surplus isn't the way to go?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
Basically, yes. I believe these direct fat > muscle gains tend to be at the start of weight loss as the body somewhat reorders itself. Remember fat is in it's own way a surplus.

If you're already fat... maybe a surplus isn't the way to go?/

im pretty skinny just have puppy fat, wanna be lean tho obviously, so wat should i do, deficit or surplus?
im pretty skinny just have puppy fat, wanna be lean tho obviously, so wat should i do, deficit or surplus?

Imo neither. You need to be a bit more honest about what you're doing, you can't be pretty skinny AND have a big belly of puppy fat. likewise you say you want to be lean... then that you want huge muscles? These are not the same goal and people will struggle to give you decent advice unless you can be specific.
Original post by StriderHort
Imo neither. You need to be a bit more honest about what you're doing, you can't be pretty skinny AND have a big belly of puppy fat. likewise you say you want to be lean... then that you want huge muscles? These are not the same goal and people will struggle to give you decent advice unless you can be specific.

well i want to lose my belly fat but also gain muscle and be lean by the end of it, thats my specific goal

well i want to lose my belly fat but also gain muscle and be lean by the end of it, thats my specific goal

Me too my guy

I'd still be inclined to say don't mess much with your calories/diet much yet. The most i'd maybe do is up my protein intake in general, try and run cleaner using the same calorific intake ect. I want my body to be hungry so it starts looking for a use for the surplus it already has.

If you want to build proper muscle you will want to put yourself in a surplus at some point, but I would treat that as a reactive process when you feel gains dropping off, rather than a proactive one where you try and force it on a body that's still kinda reeling from puberty.

Just my opinion right enough, and i'm pretty old fashioned in these things. (up ye gym rats! UP YE! :tongue: )

Quick Reply

Latest