Do you lose belly fat as you put on muscle?

Watch
greengiant123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wanna put on lots of muscle but I also wanna lose my big belly, does this happen at the same time?
Down_worlder
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah it does, as you exercise you burn fat as well as build muscle!
greengiant123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Down_worlder)
Yeah it does, as you exercise you burn fat as well as build muscle!
even if im in a calorie surplus to gain muscle?
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by greengiant123)
even if im in a calorie surplus to gain muscle?
That will depend on wether or not you are still in a surplus after you take into the account the effects of th e exercise you do.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
That will depend on wether or not you are still in a surplus after you take into the account the effects of th e exercise you do.
well yea i will be bc im tryna gain muscle
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Basically, yes. I believe these direct fat > muscle gains tend to be at the start of weight loss as the body somewhat reorders itself. Remember fat is in it's own way a surplus.

If you're already fat... maybe a surplus isn't the way to go?
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
greengiant123
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Basically, yes. I believe these direct fat > muscle gains tend to be at the start of weight loss as the body somewhat reorders itself. Remember fat is in it's own way a surplus.

If you're already fat... maybe a surplus isn't the way to go?/
im pretty skinny just have puppy fat, wanna be lean tho obviously, so wat should i do, deficit or surplus?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im pretty skinny just have puppy fat, wanna be lean tho obviously, so wat should i do, deficit or surplus?
Imo neither. You need to be a bit more honest about what you're doing, you can't be pretty skinny AND have a big belly of puppy fat. likewise you say you want to be lean... then that you want huge muscles? These are not the same goal and people will struggle to give you decent advice unless you can be specific.
greengiant123
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Imo neither. You need to be a bit more honest about what you're doing, you can't be pretty skinny AND have a big belly of puppy fat. likewise you say you want to be lean... then that you want huge muscles? These are not the same goal and people will struggle to give you decent advice unless you can be specific.
well i want to lose my belly fat but also gain muscle and be lean by the end of it, thats my specific goal
Unknown7863
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well i want to lose my belly fat but also gain muscle and be lean by the end of it, thats my specific goal
Me too my guy
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd still be inclined to say don't mess much with your calories/diet much yet. The most i'd maybe do is up my protein intake in general, try and run cleaner using the same calorific intake ect. I want my body to be hungry so it starts looking for a use for the surplus it already has.

If you want to build proper muscle you will want to put yourself in a surplus at some point, but I would treat that as a reactive process when you feel gains dropping off, rather than a proactive one where you try and force it on a body that's still kinda reeling from puberty.

Just my opinion right enough, and i'm pretty old fashioned in these things. (up ye gym rats! UP YE! )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (541)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (411)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (509)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
6%
Loneliness (312)
8.44%
Financial worries (136)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (167)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (330)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (346)
9.36%

Watched Threads