Which GCSEs are you awarded for combined science?

Watch
V Lee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So if we do all 3 subjects for combined science but only get 2 GCSEs which one do we get?
Sorry if this is dumb but basically I am good at chem and bio but terrible at psychics so which one is my grade?
I was told that it’s my 2 best grades but that was by a friend not a teacher so I still don’t fully know
I don’t want to get my whole gcse score ruined by psychics
Last edited by V Lee; 2 months ago
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
When you do combined science you still do all three sciences but you just get two grades
V Lee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by wizkid44)
When you do combined science you still do all three sciences but you just get two grades
Umm..that’s exactly what the question was asking. I want to know what GCSEs I’ll get
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You will get a double GCSE in Combined Science with a grade such as 7-7, 6-5 (i.e. the grades will be no more than one different). Combined Science is made up of 2/3 of the content of the GCSEs for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The overwhelming majority of 6ht forms accept Combined Science (at or above a specified grade) as being suitable to study one or more Science A levels. If the sixth form website is unclear whether or not they accept it then check with them.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As above, you get a double award in "combined science" or similar (I think mine just said science but it's been years since I've looked at my GCSE certificates). If you're doing combined science you will study all three sciences simultaneously. You will not cover quite as much detail in all of them as if you were doing "triple" science, where you do each single award individually in the three sciences.

A-level sciences are designed to dovetail to combined science, and do not inherently assume any knowledge from the single awards beyond what is covered in combined science. Some schools may structure their teaching such that they do assume this knowledge, but that is down to the school, not the syllabus of the course itself. As suggested previously, check with the 6th form whether they will accept combined science for those A-levels (they should, in principle).
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, you get a double award in "combined science" or similar (I think mine just said science but it's been years since I've looked at my GCSE certificates).
It used to be Science (Double Award), then it went to Science and Additional Science as 2 separate GCSEs and now it is Combined Science.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Compost)
It used to be Science (Double Award), then it went to Science and Additional Science as 2 separate GCSEs and now it is Combined Science.
Ah, I think I had the first one :getmecoat:
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Ah, I think I had the first one :getmecoat:
I'm so old I was allowed to avoid Biology and just take Physics and Chemistry
ConfusedDemon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by V Lee)
I want to do the chemistry and biology a level at college but I must have a gcse in chemistry and biology. But if I’m doing combined science how do I know if I might get psychics. Can I ask my teachers?

I can’t find it anywhere what GCSEs I’ll be awarded from combined science,it’s really stressing me out.
Yes you can! I did combined science (got an 8-8) but you should be able to get into chem and bio if you get the maths GCSE at 6 or something, but all the best luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (42)
5.78%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.55%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (77)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (93)
12.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.36%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (78)
10.73%
Financial worries (48)
6.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.26%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
5.91%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.3%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.84%

Watched Threads