Why is Europe in such a mess with their vaccinations?

Watch
MatureStudent37
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Who would have thought that bloated, overly complex, multi-national bureaucracies aren't actually very good at organising things in a efficient manner during a crisis.....
If you look at the original EU vaccination strategy it was going to be very heavily reliant on German and French vaccines.

the French have failed to deliver a viable vaccine so the EU had a choice between a not for profit British vaccine and a very expensive for profit German vaccine (Pfizer)

Although Pfizer is an American company, the vaccine is German designed, so biontech will get a nice royalty for every vaccine produced.

the massive German pharmaceutical sector is now gearing up to mass produce the Pfizer jab to meet most of the EUs needs.

I wouldn’t be supposed if the EUs plan with AstraZeneca is to force upon the whole of the EU the Pfizer jab to enable a wealth transfer from poorer country’s to the German economy. They also have the added bonus of portraying the benevolent EU as Europe’s saviours.

No matter what happens in the world there will people attempting to make money and political capital from it.
UnclePete
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
To be fair to the EU, we are talking about a pretty lethal pandemic. This isn't banana bendiness or even fishing quotas.
I fully appreciate where you are from on this, and don't think the EU would deliberately have put people's lives on the line, but in its bumbling tunnel vision way and arrogantly playing politics, it has scored an own goal, endangered its own citizens, and by default us in the UK especially if the brush off of a third wave crosses The Channel as it surely will, and discredited itself immensely.
I had my doubts when I voted leave as to if I had made the right decision, but the more I see of their carry on as of late the more I believe I did so.
Last edited by UnclePete; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (437)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (413)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (138)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.07%
Loneliness (255)
8.59%
Financial worries (109)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (160)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.44%

Watched Threads