KatieLondon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I applied to oxford 2021 and had two interviews for Chemistry but did not get through. I am concerned about re-applying given the odds are so tough, and the process is so draining. I worry about spending my first year at another university in lockdown. I worry about COVID.. I go to a private school so I worry about contextualisation counting against me (my parents simply work hard to keep me at school sacrificing many things but this counts against me somewhat). I am predicted 4 A* I received gold awards in the Chemistry and Maths Olympiads. I love learning and love Chemistry but am now very demotivated. The A level grades / exams / process is severely disrupted or discounted..no exams / no true measure of failure / success... Does anyone know what Oxford re-application statistics like? Any tips on how to prepare? Is there anything different to consider about a re application? Will I be competing against pupils that have actually taken final A level exams as opposed to receiving assessed grades? Is this an ongoing stigma current A level students will face? Do I keep the personal statement broadly the same? How do I "stand out" with respect to what I can do in a year off? Given COVID will reapplications rise significantly given all the disruptions? Is there any point ? I'm worried about going to my second choice Uni and not feeling challenged enough ... anyone in the same boat ?
Kayle1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by KatieLondon)
I applied to oxford 2021 and had two interviews for Chemistry but did not get through. I am concerned about re-applying given the odds are so tough, and the process is so draining. I worry about spending my first year at another university in lockdown. I worry about COVID.. I go to a private school so I worry about contextualisation counting against me (my parents simply work hard to keep me at school sacrificing many things but this counts against me somewhat). I am predicted 4 A* I received gold awards in the Chemistry and Maths Olympiads. I love learning and love Chemistry but am now very demotivated. The A level grades / exams / process is severely disrupted or discounted..no exams / no true measure of failure / success... Does anyone know what Oxford re-application statistics like? Any tips on how to prepare? Is there anything different to consider about a re application? Will I be competing against pupils that have actually taken final A level exams as opposed to receiving assessed grades? Is this an ongoing stigma current A level students will face? Do I keep the personal statement broadly the same? How do I "stand out" with respect to what I can do in a year off? Given COVID will reapplications rise significantly given all the disruptions? Is there any point ? I'm worried about going to my second choice Uni and not feeling challenged enough ... anyone in the same boat ?
I’m sorry I can’t really answer your questions, but what I would say is to really ask yourself why it is you want to go to Oxford so badly. Do you really need to take a gap year you don’t really want and start the whole draining process again just to potentially be rejected and be left in the same situation? Your questions are valid when considering whether to reapply but it is always a game of odds and the odds are always against you. I was rejected for PPE post interview this year and although it sucks, Oxford isn’t the only great uni and you should definitely not be worried about not being sufficiently challenged elsewhere. Any study at university level will be challenging, Oxford or not. You said that you love learning, and you will be able to enrich your love of chemistry elsewhere. It is difficult when going to Oxbridge is a long dreamed goal, but sometimes we’re rejected for the best when it wasn’t meant for us. And I hope that the COVID situation will be settled by September so try not to worry about that. That said, if you genuinely feel it’s worth another shot and you have it in you, then by all means go for it, but I would first take the time to consider why you want it so bad and be more open to your alternatives.
matt7089
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kayle1)
I’m sorry I can’t really answer your questions, but what I would say is to really ask yourself why it is you want to go to Oxford so badly. Do you really need to take a gap year you don’t really want and start the whole draining process again just to potentially be rejected and be left in the same situation? Your questions are valid when considering whether to reapply but it is always a game of odds and the odds are always against you. I was rejected for PPE post interview this year and although it sucks, Oxford isn’t the only great uni and you should definitely not be worried about not being sufficiently challenged elsewhere. Any study at university level will be challenging, Oxford or not. You said that you love learning, and you will be able to enrich your love of chemistry elsewhere. It is difficult when going to Oxbridge is a long dreamed goal, but sometimes we’re rejected for the best when it wasn’t meant for us. And I hope that the COVID situation will be settled by September so try not to worry about that. That said, if you genuinely feel it’s worth another shot and you have it in you, then by all means go for it, but I would first take the time to consider why you want it so bad and be more open to your alternatives.
couldn't agree more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (224)
43.24%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (40)
7.72%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (109)
21.04%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (59)
11.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed