The Student Room Group

GCSE Choices

Hi, I chose my GCSEs earlier today and I was just wondering if anyone who is or has taken any of the following could tell me how they were:
-WJEC English (not sure why we're WJEC I live in England)
-Edexcel Maths (I'm assuming I'll take the higher paper instead of foundation)
-AQA (Higher) Triple Science
-OCR Music
-AQA History
-Edexcel (Pearson?) DT/Product Design

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did GCSE DT in 2019 but mine was AQA (I think) and I absolutely loved it! I liked the balance between theory and the practical project in second year. Definitely a good decision and I hope you like it!
I did AQA history - it was actually really interesting, just make sure you learn the answer structure the examiners want as well as the actual content
Triple science has a reputation for being a lot of work but its really not as long as you keep on top of it
For all of them when it comes to revision do practice questions!! Even English...
i'm warning you now, i've done triple science higher and it was very difficult, please please please start making notes as soon as you start otherwise you'll regret it
Original post by Mgc25
I did GCSE DT in 2019 but mine was AQA (I think) and I absolutely loved it! I liked the balance between theory and the practical project in second year. Definitely a good decision and I hope you like it!

im in year 11 now doing aqa dt gcse and my opinion is the complete opposite to you!! its the gcse i regret taking the most and my nea is due at the end of term and i havent finished it. it was fun at the start of year 10 when we were doing practical nearly every other lesson but as soon as lockdown happened its been full on theory and nea ever since so i only got 2 terms of the fun bit. and we arent even making our project because of lockdown, just the powerpoint with the design process and drawings...
it would have probably been better in non covid times
Original post by noturhabibti
i'm warning you now, i've done triple science higher and it was very difficult, please please please start making notes as soon as you start otherwise you'll regret it

im in year 11 now and have been doing triple science. its very good and all that but i agree, there is quite a lot of content and some parts of chemistry are really hard so just make sure you understand everything by asking questions but as long as you keep on top of the work you should be fine.
Original post by isabel.b
im in year 11 now and have been doing triple science. its very good and all that but i agree, there is quite a lot of content and some parts of chemistry are really hard so just make sure you understand everything by asking questions but as long as you keep on top of the work you should be fine.

yess samee, i never kept up especially last year in the 1st lockdown and im struggling sm noww
yess samee, i never kept up especially last year in the 1st lockdown and im struggling sm noww

i kept up during lockdown but am still so lost which is great. i just dont get homeostasis in bio and all the equilibrium stuff in chem!! that is exactly why i am doing all humanities alevels, i would never do stem subjects
i kept up during lockdown but am still so lost which is great. i just dont get homeostasis in bio and all the equilibrium stuff in chem!! that is exactly why i am doing all humanities alevels, i would never do stem subjects

yeahh, i did nothing over lockdown so i'm having to self teach everything and its really difficult, and samee i'm doing humanities/social sciences
yeahh, i did nothing over lockdown so i'm having to self teach everything and its really difficult, and samee i'm doing humanities/social sciences

oh thats great haha. yesss im going to do politics, economics, geography and spanish, what about you? and they also seem loadsss more interesting than chem or maths alevel... like no thanks
Original post by gemi
Hi, I chose my GCSEs earlier today and I was just wondering if anyone who is or has taken any of the following could tell me how they were:
-OCR Music
-AQA History

i'm currently doing AQA History as my year 10 one year and i've really enjoyed it!
oh thats great haha. yesss im going to do politics, economics, geography and spanish, what about you? and they also seem loadsss more interesting than chem or maths alevel... like no thanks

yess people who take chem, phys or maths at a level confuse me so muchh
and im doing business, economics and english lang
yess people who take chem, phys or maths at a level confuse me so muchh
and im doing business, economics and english lang

yess exactly, especially those doing further maths!! those seem really cool.
yess exactly, especially those doing further maths!! those seem really cool.

i think i would die if i did further maths
and thankyouuu
i think i would die if i did further maths
and thankyouuu

omg yes i would diee. economics seems really cool and interesting. also because you learn about the economy so it could possibly help me moneywise in the future HAHA
omg yes i would diee. economics seems really cool and interesting. also because you learn about the economy so it could possibly help me moneywise in the future HAHA

yess deffo, i feel like economics makes someone seem more sophisticated and its the perfect balance of business and maths so it makes u seem smart as well lol
yess deffo, i feel like economics makes someone seem more sophisticated and its the perfect balance of business and maths so it makes u seem smart as well lol

yes exactly!! saying you do economics makes you seem like some clever investment banker who has their whole life sorted. and also because how i am only doing essay subjects, even though it classifies as essay subject, i will still have a very tiny bit of maths even if its really easy, its still maths. ahh i cant wait for alevels!!
Reply 17
im in year 11 now doing aqa dt gcse and my opinion is the complete opposite to you!! its the gcse i regret taking the most and my nea is due at the end of term and i havent finished it. it was fun at the start of year 10 when we were doing practical nearly every other lesson but as soon as lockdown happened its been full on theory and nea ever since so i only got 2 terms of the fun bit. and we arent even making our project because of lockdown, just the powerpoint with the design process and drawings...
it would have probably been better in non covid times

Aw that’s not good, it’s definitely a hard subject if you can’t actually be in class to do it. Hope you do well anyways!
Reply 18
Op, what are your predicted science grades? As a yr11 triple student I would advise that you think about it properly- you will get roughly a grade higher in each doing combined and there is no advantage other than 3 separate grades- even if you want to do a levels whatever the teachers say
Original post by gemi
-OCR Music
-AQA History

ok so I did triple (but mine was WJEC) and I did English, maths and history (again all WJEC)
English was boring but that's just because I've never liked it.
Maths- my favourite. But you've got to keep on top of the work and practise questions throughout the year.
Triple science- not much more work than double tbh. Also easier in some ways because you have an overall better understanding of science as a whole.
History- for WJEC it was really hard. There's a ton of info to learn and the exams are very very hard to finish in the given time. I don't know what AQA would be like though. But don't let that put you off, it was still enjoyable but you have to really like history.

Quick Reply

Latest