The Student Room Group

25:75

Hi, for my degree the best 200 credits will be taken from second and third year but also the weighting for my degree is 25:75. What percentage would I need to achieve in second and third year to get an overall First. Many Thanks!
Original post by al___
Hi, for my degree the best 200 credits will be taken from second and third year but also the weighting for my degree is 25:75. What percentage would I need to achieve in second and third year to get an overall First. Many Thanks!

The short answer is 70% across the board, with more emphasis on your third year units than your second.

If you scored 0 in your second year units, you will need an average of 93.33% across your third year units to get a 1st class. If you score nothing in your third year, the most you will get if you maxed out your score in your second year is 25%, which is a defintie fail.

As I don't know what credits you have in your second and third years, and I don't know what grades you already have, I can't determine what grades you will need to get a first. If you have this information, I could give you a more insightful answer.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
The short answer is 70% across the board, with more emphasis on your third year units than your second.

If you scored 0 in your second year units, you will need an average of 93.33% across your third year units to get a 1st class. If you score nothing in your third year, the most you will get if you maxed out your score in your second year is 25%, which is a defintie fail.

As I don't know what credits you have in your second and third years, and I don't know what grades you already have, I can't determine what grades you will need to get a first. If you have this information, I could give you a more insightful answer.

Hi, thank you for replying. Basically this is what it says on the website on how the marks are calculated . 1. A second algorithm based on the marks from the best 100 credits achieved at Level 6 and the next best 100 credits achieved at Level 5 or 6. 2. The credits will be weighted 25:75 between Level 5: Level 6.

I have 6 modules for year two: and they are 20 credit
Original post by al___
Hi, thank you for replying. Basically this is what it says on the website on how the marks are calculated . 1. A second algorithm based on the marks from the best 100 credits achieved at Level 6 and the next best 100 credits achieved at Level 5 or 6. 2. The credits will be weighted 25:75 between Level 5: Level 6.

What's the first algorithm?

Which university?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by al___

Thanks for replying.

Presuming each module for year 3 is also 20 credits per unit, this means that the marks from the best 5 modules from each year will be used to calculate your marks, which makes sense. Grading is leaning more towards the marks of your third year modules than your second year's (i.e. they're worth 3x as much as your second year modules).

However, that still doesn't tell me much about the grades you need to get. You would ideally score 70%+ on at least 5 modules per year to score the 1st class grade.

If you already have grades for your modules in your second year, I would be able to confirm what grades you might need in your third.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for replying.

Presuming each module for year 3 is also 20 credits per unit, this means that the marks from the best 5 modules from each year will be used to calculate your marks, which makes sense. Grading is leaning more towards the marks of your third year modules than your second year's (i.e. they're worth 3x as much as your second year modules).

However, that still doesn't tell me much about the grades you need to get. You would ideally score 70%+ on at least 5 modules per year to score the 1st class grade.

If you already have grades for your modules in your second year, I would be able to confirm what grades you might need in your third.

Thank you that was very helpful!!I haven't finished year two yet. However, I'm averaging a low 2:1 at the moment. What would I need in year 2 in order to achieve a First?Considering it's a 25:75 split. Many thanks :smile:
Original post by al___
Thank you that was very helpful!!I haven't finished year two yet. However, I'm averaging a low 2:1 at the moment. What would I need in year 2 in order to achieve a First?Considering it's a 25:75 split. Many thanks :smile:

Unless you post your actual marks, credits per module etc no-one can answer that question accurately.

In addition, most unis have methods of upgrading near-misses eg those who get 1-2% below what they need for a higher classification. The exact formula depends on your university's degree regulations.
Original post by al___

Again, that tells me very little in terms of the grades.

Presuming you have got a low 2:1 (I presume you're doing an essay based subject like History, where there is little to no maths involved) for all your 5 modules in the second year:
70% = 0.25*60% + 0.75x
70 = 15 + 0.75x
55 = 0.75x
x = 73.33%. You need to get an average of 73.33% on your relevant modules in Year 3 to get the first class.

If you're vying for the 65% mark, which is necessary for some masters at some universities
65% = 0.25*60% + 0.75x
65 = 15 + 0.75x
50 = 0.75x
x = 66.67%. You need to get an average of 66.67% on your relevant modules in Year 3 to get 65%

If you're aiming for a low 2:1 (why?), you would need a 60% average in your third year as well.
Original post by al___

70%+
their are a near infinite number of permutations
Reply 9
How do you work this out? 53% in second year weighted at 25% and 65% in 3rd year weighted at 75% what becomes the overall grade?
Original post by Xshooter
How do you work this out? 53% in second year weighted at 25% and 65% in 3rd year weighted at 75% what becomes the overall grade?

It would have been better to create your own thread rather than tack onto one that's 9 months old.

That said:

(53*0.25) + (65*0.75) = 62.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending