MJC29
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am currently applying for my study abroad year in the US which is in my fourth year rather than my third year due to my year abroad getting cancelled last year. Will the process still work the same as before?

Also, when applying for the travel grant, does it have to be return flights or can I claim back for a single flight to my host institution if I am planning to travel to other states after my studies have finished?

Thank you in advance
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi,
As long as your university have confirmed that Year 4 will be a year abroad on the course database this should be fine. If not, we may need them to confirm this to us once you've made the application including the tuition fee you will be charged.

You can claim for single flights on the travel grant. If you're awarded two return flights for example you can choose to have these reimbursed as four single journeys.

Thanks, Tegan
MJC29
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,
Thank you for your reply! I am glad to hear that the process will be the same. I am currently awaiting to hear back from SFE at the moment. What is the average turn around time at the moment?

I am also glad to hear that I can claim for single flights on the travel grant. How strict are they when it comes to reimbursement? Like would I have to pay for my return flight at the same time as my flight to the host institution?

I would be flying into Chicago as my host institution is in Illinois, however I would like to go to New York at the end of my stay. Would I be able to get reimbursed for my flight to Chicago, even though I will be flying home from New York?

Thank you in advance
Shaun SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MJC29)
Hi,
Thank you for your reply! I am glad to hear that the process will be the same. I am currently awaiting to hear back from SFE at the moment. What is the average turn around time at the moment?

I am also glad to hear that I can claim for single flights on the travel grant. How strict are they when it comes to reimbursement? Like would I have to pay for my return flight at the same time as my flight to the host institution?

I would be flying into Chicago as my host institution is in Illinois, however I would like to go to New York at the end of my stay. Would I be able to get reimbursed for my flight to Chicago, even though I will be flying home from New York?

Thank you in advance
Good Morning,

You would still be able to have the flight to Chicago reimbursed and a return ticket doesn't have to be purchased at the same time as your departure flight.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
Last edited by Shaun SFE; 5 months ago
MJC29
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Brilliant, thank you so much for your help!
Shaun SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by MJC29)
Brilliant, thank you so much for your help!
You're most welcome
MJC29
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, just a quick follow up question. Will I still be able to reimburse my flights even if they are bought last minute? Currently I am unable to get an earlier visa appointment which means I will need to fly out as soon as I have received my passport back and therefore do not yet know which day this will be. Therefore, I want to double check I would still be able to claim the money even if it is a last minute flight despite it being more expensive?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MJC29)
Hi, just a quick follow up question. Will I still be able to reimburse my flights even if they are bought last minute? Currently I am unable to get an earlier visa appointment which means I will need to fly out as soon as I have received my passport back and therefore do not yet know which day this will be. Therefore, I want to double check I would still be able to claim the money even if it is a last minute flight despite it being more expensive?
Hi, our Travel Grant team will need to review this.

Our guidance states:

Acceptable claims may include the following:

To be eligible to claim 3 return journeys or equivalent (for example, 6 single journeys). The student will need to be in attendance at their overseas institution for at least 50% of 3 out of the 4 academic quarters (terms). If they don't meet this requirement they won't be eligible to be reimbursed for 3 return journeys.

The class and method of travel should be deemed reasonable (ie no business class,) standard economy is expected, if no hold luggage is included in the flight price we will cover the cost of 1 hold bag (general guide is up to 23KG). However if enhanced economy class flights have been purchased e.g. Economy Flex or Economy Flex Plus, we would require evidence to show that this was the only or least expensive option available at the time of booking as these fares offer additional benefits. If a student advises that they wish to purchase an Economy Flex fare (not Plus) due to not knowing their return dates they should advise this at the time of claiming for consideration

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.37%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
15.69%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.18%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
14.71%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
27.45%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (40)
19.61%

Watched Threads