rhiannaashley7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,
I've enrolled onto a second degree, BSc Biology with the Open University. I was under the impression that as it is part time and is an eligible STEM degree, I can receive funding from student finance despite it being my second degree.
I previously studied 3 months at a brick uni and then dropped out, I then studied 18 months at Oxford Brookes uni (adult nursing) and the tuition was funded by the NHS but I did get a small amount of maintenance from student finance (around 2k). I never completed this degree though and I left.
2017-2020 I completed a degree in Maths with the Open University (part time) and it was fully funded by student finance, I graduated last year.
Will I still be eligible for tuition fee loan for BSc Biology as my second degree, despite having some funding at a brick uni previously?
Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The part time funding exemption for second degrees in stem subjects doesn’t apply to distance learning courses.
rhiannaashley7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
The part time funding exemption for second degrees in stem subjects doesn’t apply to distance learning courses.
I know many people studying with open uni who are doing a second degree in STEM and get funding, student finance website says nothing about distance learning impacting it?
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by rhiannaashley7)
Hi,
I've enrolled onto a second degree, BSc Biology with the Open University. I was under the impression that as it is part time and is an eligible STEM degree, I can receive funding from student finance despite it being my second degree.
I previously studied 3 months at a brick uni and then dropped out, I then studied 18 months at Oxford Brookes uni (adult nursing) and the tuition was funded by the NHS but I did get a small amount of maintenance from student finance (around 2k). I never completed this degree though and I left.
2017-2020 I completed a degree in Maths with the Open University (part time) and it was fully funded by student finance, I graduated last year.
Will I still be eligible for tuition fee loan for BSc Biology as my second degree, despite having some funding at a brick uni previously?
Thanks!
Hi Rhianna,

Distance learning courses are included in the exception list so studying Biology at the Open University means that we would disregard your previous study and qualifications. You'll be able to apply for Tuition Fee Loan for this as a second degree if you meet the other eligibility criteria.

Thanks, Tegan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads