Claudio1319
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
is there anybody I can speak with about applying for a MSc in Behavioural Science at LSE? I’d like to know what the admission office is looking for, any kind of advice is very welcomed.
chemainus11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Claudio1319)
is there anybody I can speak with about applying for a MSc in Behavioural Science at LSE? I’d like to know what the admission office is looking for, any kind of advice is very welcomed.
I did not do a MSc in your area but I did two MSc with LSE (in IR and SRM). So I can give you (and any lurkers) the following generic advice:

Above all (and aside from their published hard criteria i.e. grades that you absolutely have to meet - oh, and nice LoR's don't hurt either) they are looking for academic fit - you need to demonstrate that your academic interests align with the program you are applying to (have a look at the courses they offer this year and tell them how this relates to / helps you understand your academic interest - especially important is here to demonstrate why the core courses that they offer and require - PB405, PB413, PB4A7 - relate to / help you). Don't be afraid to cite academic literature in your personal statement. Look here for an overview of courses: https://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/cale...ralScience.htm

To give you an example: For my IR MSc I told them I was applying specifically for the MSc core course IR436 to get training in taking IR Theory apart from historical and philosophical perspectives because I wanted to understand how the very different theories relate to each other metatheoretically. This is what the core course offered to do.

Also a good tip is to include in your personal statement how extra-curricular activities that LSE offers help you find advance your academic interest (i.e. for me it was volunteering for LSE's own student run journal in IR to get exposure to cutting edge esoteric and critical IR research).

Research experience or publications are at master's level nice to have but not necessary. I did not have any and got in....

Hope this helps, good luck!
Claudio1319
Rep:
?
Thank you very much, it helps me for sure! I am enrolled in Economics at Cattolica University in Milan and here is very unlikely for a student to have the possibility to do a research experience within the university so my question is...

do you think they do care about extra-curricular activities such being involved in student associations or it’s pretty useless?

Because as I understood most of the success will be based on grades and personal statement.

Thank you once again for your precious advices!
Last edited by Claudio1319; 4 weeks ago
Claudio1319
Rep:
?
Thank you very much, it helps me for sure! I am enrolled in Economics at Cattolica University in Milan and here is very unlikely for a student to have the possibility to experience a research experience within the university so my question is...do you think they do care about extra-curricular activities such being involved in student associations or it’s pretty useless? Because as I understood most of the success will be based on grades and personal statement. Thank you once again for your precious advices!
chemainus11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Claudio1319)
Thank you very much, it helps me for sure! I am enrolled in Economics at Cattolica University in Milan and here is very unlikely for a student to have the possibility to do a research experience within the university so my question is...

do you think they do care about extra-curricular activities such being involved in student associations or it’s pretty useless?

Because as I understood most of the success will be based on grades and personal statement.

Thank you once again for your precious advices!
Any kind of extra-curricular activity that you do / did is welcome from a selector's perspective of "Oh, this tells me a bit about that person aside from his academic interests." So I would definitely include it - particularly if it is university or research centred. In your case, student associations are great and should absolutetly be included on your CV (and if they are relevant as to why you apply to the MSc you can also include them in your statement)!

But yes, grades, statement, and overall "fit" to the program are (IMHO) the deciding factors - with a particular focus on (1) what you can bring to the program & (2) what the program can do for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (408)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (311)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (389)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (126)
4.54%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (168)
6.06%
Loneliness (239)
8.62%
Financial worries (100)
3.61%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (111)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (129)
4.65%
Lack of real life entertainment (148)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (243)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (265)
9.56%

Watched Threads