deskio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,
So I have to make my decision for my fourth option for GCSE... German or Business? I would enjoy business so much more, and probably get a higher grade, but I also like the idea of being able to uphold basic conversations with my German friends.
I go to a challenging grammar school, and I find myself in the position of havigg by a good memory, but I can’t decide between the two.
My main setback is uni options. I don’t plan on going to Oxbridge, but I don’t want to shut them off, considering I’m in Year 9. Will the lack of a language affect my application, should I decide I want to go there in the future?
My other options so far are: English, Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics, Geography, DT and Computing.
I need help asap 😩
mangobear176
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The only way not having a language GCSE would affect your uni options is if you want to do a language degree. I know plenty of people who got accepted into top unis and never did a language GCSE. Your A-Level options are more important than GCSEs if that's your biggest concern. If you want to do German purely for having conversations with friends, I'd recommend doing the business GCSE and just using Duolingo or similar language learning apps to learn German.
deskio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by mangobear176)
The only way not having a language GCSE would affect your uni options is if you want to do a language degree. I know plenty of people who got accepted into top unis and never did a language GCSE. Your A-Level options are more important than GCSEs if that's your biggest concern. If you want to do German purely for having conversations with friends, I'd recommend doing the business GCSE and just using Duolingo or similar language learning apps to learn German.
Thank you so much! That’s really reassuring to know
mangobear176
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by deskio)
Thank you so much! That’s really reassuring to know
no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads