The Student Room Group

Referees for Personal Statements (Job Applications\Uni graduate)

Hi I am going to apply for jobs soon and need two referees. I have one who is my tutor at university but understand I cannot use a colleague, friend or relative as the second. Who could I use who would prove I have completed at least 3 years of education? Thanks!
Reply 1
surely your uni tutor proves you have been in education for 3 years?
Original post by twentystraveller
Hi I am going to apply for jobs soon and need two referees. I have one who is my tutor at university but understand I cannot use a colleague, friend or relative as the second. Who could I use who would prove I have completed at least 3 years of education? Thanks!

You should think of a few referees who can offer advice on a range of skills. Contact them and ask them if they will act as your referee and make it clear that you will be applying for a number of jobs over the next 6 months - that way you don't have to ask them every time.

The point of a reference is that someone puts their professional reputation on the line by vouching for you. The bonds of family and friendship are seen to overcome this, which is why you can't use family and friends. However, you can ask people like faith leaders, volunteering managers, sports coaches, club leaders, as well as past lecturers, supervisors, tutors etc.

It's rare for a referee to have to prove anything specific, like 3 years of education. Generally only jobs in education, finance and others that have safeguarding or honesty concerns specify in that detail.

You don't offer details of referees in applications unless directly asked. It benefits you to give referee details as late as possible in the process, so you have a better understanding of what the employer prioritises as skills, then you can forewarn the referee of that (and perhaps choose the more suitable referees).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending