The Student Room Group

Revising

I'm in year 13 and I will be having mock exams and tests after Easter. I'm studying history and RS and want to know what is the best way to do so as I'm hoping to start university in September and I need ABB at the minimum. Any tips on how to revise I'm doing the WJEC exam board.
Original post by x_cait13_x
I'm in year 13 and I will be having mock exams and tests after Easter. I'm studying history and RS and want to know what is the best way to do so as I'm hoping to start university in September and I need ABB at the minimum. Any tips on how to revise I'm doing the WJEC exam board.

Hi! @x_cait13_x

I use to study psychology, law, and geography. I know they're not the same subjects but the revision tips may still apply and help. I managed to improve my grades massively by doing this...

I use to try and revise at the end of each module in that subject.
When I was doing revision I made sure I went through the module and noted down all the key fact and terms etc on an A3 poster and hung it on my bedroom wall so I would always be remembered of the key facts. Every so often I would try and write down everything I could from the poster. The facts which I missed off or got wrong I would then write over in a different colour so I would know where I went wrong. Doing this little and often is really useful.
You could always scan and print a copy of the poster to take with you to college/school to revise in breaks.

Also, speak to your teachers and ask for help. they should be able to think of specific revision tools for you, maybe like a website or something. If you do past papers often enough and get them marked by your teacher, they'll be able to recognise where you're making mistakes and be able to provide you with some constructive feedback. Doing this from the start is extremely useful.

Don't forget taking time for yourself is really important! going out for a walk every day or even just watching tv even helps to give your brain some rest. However, exercise, diet and rest/sleep is key.

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

hi! i’m also in year 13 and study history, my mocks were back in february and i managed to get an A*. personally, i made flash cards of only the facts for the subject (e.g. im doing the civil rights movement in USA 1863-2009) and then pretty much just learnt them. then i’d basically go through the most recent past paper questions (so from around 2016) and briefly plan both essay questions that they give but only write the one i find harder. for the source question i would just make a table specific to the question, so if it was on using both to assess the validity of each source towards a given statement, my table would be: how source 1 agrees w/ the statement, how source 2 does and then the last would be comparing both sources (these would basically be each paragraph if i fully wrote out the question). hope that made sense, it’s basically just trying to fit as much info onto the page without wasting time writing out full answers. good luck and i hope you get the grades! xx

Quick Reply

Latest