The Student Room Group

Teacher Training- fitness to teach

I have been offered a conditional teacher training place on the SCITT programme. I am absolutely over the moon. However I am also really worried about the fitness to teach questionnaire. I take an anti anxiety medication (my condition is completely controlled). I also suffer from a bad shoulder for which I have a repeat prescription of painkillers. I only take these as and when necessary (usually at night). I’m terrified this will have an impact on my offer. Any help/advice would be really appreciated x
Original post by GemX1
I have been offered a conditional teacher training place on the SCITT programme. I am absolutely over the moon. However I am also really worried about the fitness to teach questionnaire. I take an anti anxiety medication (my condition is completely controlled). I also suffer from a bad shoulder for which I have a repeat prescription of painkillers. I only take these as and when necessary (usually at night). I’m terrified this will have an impact on my offer. Any help/advice would be really appreciated x

Hey @GemX1 :^_^: Congrats on receiving your conditional offer, that's amazing news! Well done :biggrin: Try not to panic too much about this, although I understand why you feel worried. Answer it honestly, and they may ask you for additional info from your GP, so be ready to provide any additional evidence needed. The more organised you can be might help you feel a bit more in control :smile: Maybe @Get into Teaching could help a bit more with this?

Best of luck with it!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by GemX1

Hello @GemX1

Fantastic news! Congratulations and well done. Welcome to the exciting world of teaching young people.

The fitness to teach isn't something to fear. It's there to safeguard you and the children you'll teach. You'll either have a questionnaire to fill in yourself or some providers will ask you to consult with your doctor. If you are currently managing your anxiety well, there is no need for additional arrangements to help you with that, and providing the pain-relief you take doesn't affect you getting to from a workplace or operate machinery, then nothing to consider adjusting there either.

If either of the conditions you describe are exasabated during training or working, then reasonable adjustments would need to be made to allow you to thrive in your new career. :smile:

Wishing you all the best! Jane

Quick Reply