The Student Room Group

Triple science vs double science

For most of high school, I decided that I would do triple science gcse. I’ve never horrible at science and I do enjoy it-I would get mostly average some good some bad. However in year 11 something changed. I started revising year 10 but when lockdown came I was not as productive but in year 11 I started revising more, but I still wouldn’t consider myself smart. More recently I have been triple science cag mini exams and for science I have been getting really bad even though I revised for them. I honestly feel like kms every time I get a result. For biology I revised from a week before and I don’t find the content hard at all and ended getting 56% compared to someone who got 75%. If u don’t think that’s bad, in chemistry I got 20% and my friend who doesn’t even study got higher. When I got those results I thought maybe I should drop down to double even though I really want to do triple but I still decided to stick with triple. So I recently did my physics exam, and my results were 44% which is not good compared to other people...The people who did double did way better. I honestly thought I did amazing in that test since I found it so easy so I’m so disappointed now and don’t know if I should stay to double or triple it’s honestly messing with my mind so please help
Well if you’re doing higher on AQA then you’re around a 7 in biology so I would say you really need to think carefully about dropping to do double as it’s not much less to revise and that 7 (or whatever it was) will be brought down by the other sciences. 20 % is a U I think so maybe you should drop down to foundation but I think you have to do foundation in all the sciences (this might be something to check) so you would be limited to a 5 in biology and your about a 5 in physics anyway. To be honest passing all of them is better than failing one so I would talk to your teachers about doing foundation if you aren’t already. I remember doing double papers to revise for triple and they weren’t really any different in difficulty. Did the people doing double do the same sort of paper as you (foundation/higher)? Are there other advantages of doing double do they have better teachers for example?

Your science teachers are the best people to talk to about this as I don’t know what your options actually are.

Original post by Daddydingdong
For biology I revised from a week before and I don’t find the content hard at all and ended getting 56% compared to someone who got 75%.

Did you only have a weeks warning before the test? Do you make flashcards etc as you go or did you just cram in the last week before the test? If you just did a weeks revision 56% is really good.
Original post by Hellllpppp
Well if you’re doing higher on AQA then you’re around a 7 in biology so I would say you really need to think carefully about dropping to do double as it’s not much less to revise and that 7 (or whatever it was) will be brought down by the other sciences. 20 % is a U I think so maybe you should drop down to foundation but I think you have to do foundation in all the sciences (this might be something to check) so you would be limited to a 5 in biology and your about a 5 in physics anyway. To be honest passing all of them is better than failing one so I would talk to your teachers about doing foundation if you aren’t already. I remember doing double papers to revise for triple and they weren’t really any different in difficulty. Did the people doing double do the same sort of paper as you (foundation/higher)? Are there other advantages of doing double do they have better teachers for example?

Your science teachers are the best people to talk to about this as I don’t know what your options actually are.

Did you only have a weeks warning before the test? Do you make flashcards etc as you go or did you just cram in the last week before the test? If you just did a weeks revision 56% is really good.

sorry for late response but i ended up dropping to double and talked to my teachers about it. I'm doing ocr gateway and triple basically means a lot more extra content and an extra grade and benefits of doing double is less content but one less grade. and no our teachers don't change due to corona but I think all are the same. honestly I thought a weeks revision was a lot but thanks lol. most of my exams I've been cramming due to short notice because...government. thanks for ur reply tho!

Quick Reply

Latest