This discussion is closed.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pythian)
11/12 years old! That's a bit young , isn't it.
Transphobe!!

On a serious note though, its interesting that people judge children to be incompetent of making any meaningful decision in life, except ones that will effect their bodies for the rest of their lives. Be it in terms of dosing them on hormones or surgery later on. Made all the more interesting by people taking the view that blind acceptance is the only way forward and sending said, by definition, confused child to a shrink is nothing but a violent transphobic and intolerant act. Say what you will on the issue of people identifying as what they want but the mental gymnastics used in such instances are impressive given the exact opposite arguments are used in every other instance.
Pythian
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Transphobe!!

On a serious note though, its interesting that people judge children to be incompetent of making any meaningful decision in life, except ones that will effect their bodies for the rest of their lives. Be it in terms of dosing them on hormones or surgery later on. Made all the more interesting by people taking the view that blind acceptance is the only way forward and sending said, by definition, confused child to a shrink is nothing but a violent transphobic and intolerant act. Say what you will on the issue of people identifying as what they want but the mental gymnastics used in such instances are impressive given the exact opposite arguments are used in every other instance.
Have you seen this case? The question hinges on informed consent.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-common-sense-
Anyone with a brain knows that an 11 y/o is still a baby and should be protected from themselves.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pythian)
Have you seen this case? The question hinges on informed consent.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-common-sense-
Anyone with a brain knows that an 11 y/o is still a baby and should be protected from themselves.
Ah yes, im familiar with the case if not this particular article so ill give it a read now
But yes, it beggars belief that some deviants think allowing children to harm themselves is 'acceptable'. By all means do what you want once you've reached the age of maturity but theres a good reason we dont let kids drink, do drugs, smoke, vote or drive cars. Theyre idiots. The only conclusion i can realistially reach is that the people pushing such nonsense either:
a) had warped childhoods
b) are dishonestly pushing their agenda to the detriment of general medical sense
c) are simply morons who dont recognise that outrageous irony and hypocrisy present in their, err, 'arguments'.

Simply put, children have many fun ideas and change their minds accordingly, its called growing up, the fact these people ignore this fact of life to push an agenda is troubling. Especially as theres nothing stopping them going through said cosmetic surgery later on in life if they do actually suffer from said condition - the fact most children used to simply grow out of this before being enabled speaks for itself.
Pythian
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Ah yes, im familiar with the case if not this particular article so ill give it a read now
But yes, it beggars belief that some deviants think allowing children to harm themselves is 'acceptable'. By all means do what you want once you've reached the age of maturity but theres a good reason we dont let kids drink, do drugs, smoke, vote or drive cars. Theyre idiots. The only conclusion i can realistially reach is that the people pushing such nonsense either:
a) had warped childhoods
b) are dishonestly pushing their agenda to the detriment of general medical sense
c) are simply morons who dont recognise that outrageous irony and hypocrisy present in their, err, 'arguments'.

Simply put, children have many fun ideas and change their minds accordingly, its called growing up, the fact these people ignore this fact of life to push an agenda is troubling. Especially as theres nothing stopping them going through said cosmetic surgery later on in life if they do actually suffer from said condition - the fact most children used to simply grow out of this before being enabled speaks for itself.
I have a theory about this.

Quite a lot of the "older" generation were - shall we say - a bit on the rough side when it came to discipline; a smack, a belting, a thump when you misbehaved. I don't mean the lunatic parents who go crazy and into 'punch-bag' mode for forgetting to say "excuse me". I mean a bit on the heavy-handed side. Mums and dads were at the top of the food chain. Those kids grew up with a chip on their shoulder and raised their kids with the unending anxiety of possible mini- and micro- aggressions. Discipline and order were considered oppressive on a child's development. Let them make all the decisions they want.

I think its a pendulum that had swung to the other extreme. What you need some degree of moderation.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
You don't find that a problem..?
No, because as I said there were other things going on.
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
falsely believe that disagreeing with trans identities is criminal, which it isn't.
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Yes, family violence, which includes psychological abuse. It was a combination of three things:

1. The father refusing to call their son by their preferred pronouns and preferred name.
You can't have it both ways.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (440)
14.75%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (335)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (417)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.03%
Loneliness (256)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.65%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (162)
5.43%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (263)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (282)
9.45%

Watched Threads