How is St Andrews' Medical Degree awarded?

Watch this thread
pinkduvet
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
From St Andrews' website, it states that:

"Students entering Medicine at St Andrews have the unique opportunity to graduate after three years at St Andrews with a BSc Honours degree in Medicine before moving on to one of the University's partner medical schools to complete their training as a doctor and graduate with an MBChB/MBBS."

However, it does not specify who awards the MBChB/MBBS degree. Is it St Andrews or the partner medical school?

Disclaimer: I understand that many people will say "it doesn't matter which university you're getting it from, it's all the same in the UK." However, I am an international student, hence this becomes important to me as some countries have restrictions on who can practice in said country depending on which UK medical school awards their Medicine degree. So I hope someone can enlighten me! Thank you )
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I've moved your thread from the St Georges, University of London forum (a completely different uni!) to the medical schools forum, since it is about medicine specifically, and several medical schools in particular

The MBBS itself seems to be awarded by the second medical school, where you do the clinical placements. The webpage makes it pretty clear what you are getting from St Andrews is a "BSc Medical Science" (not a medical degree in of itself, but the first half of a medical degree) after which you transfer to a partner medical school and graduate with an MBBS/MBChB (is a medical degree).

The fact that the final award is not specified between MBBS/MBChB at this point also seems to indicate that it is dependent on the partner medical school and thus awarded by them. I suspect then that the final award will be from the partner medical school (which from their website seems to suggest for all overseas fee students that they go to Manchester).

ecolier might know better/otherwise though?
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Hi, I've moved your thread from the St Georges, University of London forum (a completely different uni!) to the medical schools forum, since it is about medicine specifically, and several medical schools in particular

The MBBS itself seems to be awarded by the second medical school, where you do the clinical placements. The webpage makes it pretty clear what you are getting from St Andrews is a "BSc Medical Science" (not a medical degree in of itself, but the first half of a medical degree) after which you transfer to a partner medical school and graduate with an MBBS/MBChB (is a medical degree).

The fact that the final award is not specified between MBBS/MBChB at this point also seems to indicate that it is dependent on the partner medical school and thus awarded by them. I suspect then that the final award will be from the partner medical school (which from their website seems to suggest for all overseas fee students that they go to Manchester).

You are absolutely right.
pinkduvet
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)

Hi! Thank you so much. I don't know how TSR works. I only put the post title, the description and hit the "post" button. I had no idea which forum my post went into. Really sorry about that! I'm aware that St George's is a completely different school altogether. I have no idea how that came about! lol.

Thank you so much for your reply!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...alf-a-century/

I have chanced upon this news article, stating that St Andrews was actually banned from awarding degrees, but the ban has recently been lifted. Would this mean that the medical degree at the end of 6 years would be awarded by the partner school, St Andrews and partner school, or St Andrews only?
Scarlet-Ibis
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pinkduvet)
Hi! Thank you so much. I don't know how TSR works. I only put the post title, the description and hit the "post" button. I had no idea which forum my post went into. Really sorry about that! I'm aware that St George's is a completely different school altogether. I have no idea how that came about! lol.

Thank you so much for your reply!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...alf-a-century/

I have chanced upon this news article, stating that St Andrews was actually banned from awarding degrees, but the ban has recently been lifted. Would this mean that the medical degree at the end of 6 years would be awarded by the partner school, St Andrews and partner school, or St Andrews only?
No... the University of St Andrews plans to award ScotGEM students the full degree. ScotGEM is a graduate entry medical degree which the Universities of St Andrews, Dundee and Highlands and Islands jointly teach. Not sure if you’ve read the whole article but it explains the background of it quite well.

If you go for the undergrad route you still get to graduate from the University of St Andrews once you finish the 3 years; you get to wear a gown, attend the ceremony etc. then you go to the other medical school and at the end of that you get another graduation ceremony. And there’s a variety of Universities people go to for their clinical years: Manchester, Barts, Edinburgh, Glasgow and I believe a small number even go to Cambridge.
Last edited by Scarlet-Ibis; 1 year ago
Angiogram1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Scarlet-Ibis)
No... the University of St Andrews plans to award ScotGEM students the full degree. ScotGEM is a graduate entry medical degree which the Universities of St Andrews, Dundee and Highlands and Islands jointly teach. Not sure if you’ve read the whole article but it explains the background of it quite well.

If you go for the undergrad route you still get to graduate from the University of St Andrews once you finish the 3 years; you get to wear a gown, attend the ceremony etc. then you go to the other medical school and at the end of that you get another graduation ceremony. And there’s a variety of Universities people go to for their clinical years: Manchester, Barts, Edinburgh, Glasgow and I believe a small number even go to Cambridge.
I don’t think Cambridge is even remotely likely - they explained that it was reliant on someone from Cambridge effectively wanting to swap with someone from StA and about 2 people had done it in the last 20 years. Defo check with uni. Which uni you end up at depends on your route so for example if you are England route it will be Manchester or Barts and depend on your ranking in the year as to getting your preferences/ it’s explained on the website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (37)
35.24%
The paper was reasonable (40)
38.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
16.19%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
10.48%

Watched Threads