The Student Room Group

Can you email a University asking if they know when they will reply to you?

Talking about Bristol... I don't want to annoy them or waste their time but the waiting process is really getting to me. Do you think they would tell me the general window for when I can expect a reply e.g. next couple of weeks, not until close to the deadline?
(edited 3 years ago)
yes you can
Yes you can but they wont give you an exact date.
It can take weeks to get a response from Unis at the moment - and it wont 'hurry up' any decision.
Reply 4
Original post by fatima6776
yes you can

Original post by Moonlight rain
Yes you can but they wont give you an exact date.

Okay that's good. Do you know how I should word the email?
Original post by aor_blue
Okay that's good. Do you know how I should word the email?

Just ask them. No point putting effort into it, they’re not gonna tell you what you wanna hear. They’re so busy
"Please can you tell me when you are likely to make a decision about my application?"
Make sure you include your name, the course you have applied for, and your UCAS id.

The response you will get back will be something non-committal like 'We will make a decision as soon as we can.'
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
It can take weeks to get a response from Unis at the moment - and it wont 'hurry up' any decision.

I know I've been waiting for two months now so I just want to know how much longer I'll be waiting, not actually get them to reply quicker.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
"Please can you tell me when you are likely to make a decision about my application?"
Make sure you include your name, the course you have applied for, and your UCAS id.

The response you will get back will be something non-committal like 'We will make a decision as soon as we can.'

Okay, thank you!
Talking about Bristol... I don't want to annoy them or waste their time but the waiting process is really getting to me. Do you think they would tell me the general window for when I can expect a reply e.g. next couple of weeks, not until close to the deadline?

I have this irrational fear that contacting them = they get annoyed with me and see me as impatient = my rejection.

lol but you can definitely check up. But remember they’ll give a very basic and standard response. Bristol put me on the waitlist for a month. I called them up and all they just told me that they’ll take time to respond. they will give you no specific update (ex. you’re gonna be in our next batch, you rank high, etc.)
Reply 10
Original post by qwert7890
I have this irrational fear that contacting them = they get annoyed with me and see me as impatient = my rejection.

lol but you can definitely check up. But remember they’ll give a very basic and standard response. Bristol put me on the waitlist for a month. I called them up and all they just told me that they’ll take time to respond. they will give you no specific update (ex. you’re gonna be in our next batch, you rank high, etc.)

Don't worry I have that fear too! That's why I was asking in the first place haha. If I email them at least it'll remind them of my existence maybe lmao. Can I ask did you get a reply from Bristol then?
Don't worry I have that fear too! That's why I was asking in the first place haha. If I email them at least it'll remind them of my existence maybe lmao. Can I ask did you get a reply from Bristol then?

I didn’t email them, I called them up directly. Just gave them my UCAS PID and they told me the status - again genetic words lol.

Edit. I now realise you could be talking about a decision on my application haha. Yes, after 1.5 months of being on hold, an offer!!! (For Medicine)
Reply 12
I didn’t email them, I called them up directly. Just gave them my UCAS PID and they told me the status - again genetic words lol.

Edit. I now realise you could be talking about a decision on my application haha. Yes, after 1.5 months of being on hold, an offer!!! (For Medicine)

Oh that's great! Congratulations!!!
ALL Unis are being very cautious about final offer numbers - they are waiting to see how many of their earlier offers go Firm and working out how many more offers they can make to meet targets.

This happens every year - but they are likely to be being even more cautious this year because they know that overall grades will be higher than normal but they are under pressure from the government not to overshoot.
One key thing to ask if you do email or phone (a phone call is usually quicker) is that you haven’t missed any communication asking you for information or evidence.
Reply 15
I ended up emailing, its been a couple days now. I know it will just be a generic reply so not sure why I'm anticipating it so much but does anyone know if they reply on week ends or will I be waiting till Monday now?
I ended up emailing, its been a couple days now. I know it will just be a generic reply so not sure why I'm anticipating it so much but does anyone know if they reply on week ends or will I be waiting till Monday now?

Usually they don’t reply on weekends. Also maybe they’re on an Easter break from Monday? Not sure.
Usually they don’t reply on weekends. Also maybe they’re on an Easter break from Monday? Not sure.

University staff don't get 'Easter holidays' - this isnt school.
All Unis will be closed over the Easter weekend - so next Friday until Tuesday - but otherwise it'll be business as usual.

Quick Reply

Latest