The Student Room Group

I have a question

Maths - Network Analysis

It is shown in the next message
Reply 1
I have a question on network analysis. For this diagram, I want to show that activity C requires activity A, activity D requires A, activity E requires activity A and B, activity F requires activity E and B. I have introduced dummy activities but now it looks like activity C requires activity A and B, and activity D requires activity A and B. How do I fix this problem?

I have attached a picture on the next message
Reply 2
IMG_20210319_230411.jpg
Usual disclaimer of "this isn't something I'm familiar with": Have you got a link to what "network analysis" is in this context?

Almost certainly a stupid question, but are you sure your activities are supposed to be edges and not vertices? If you were using vertices this would basically be a DAG (and showing up the dependencies would be trivial).
Reply 4
Original post by DFranklin
Usual disclaimer of "this isn't something I'm familiar with": Have you got a link to what "network analysis" is in this context?

Almost certainly a stupid question, but are you sure your activities are supposed to be edges and not vertices? If you were using vertices this would basically be a DAG (and showing up the dependencies would be trivial).

This is to do with projects in operations research.

Activities are not supposed to be vertices.
Original post by Mhall357
This is to do with projects in operations research.

Activities are not supposed to be vertices.

OR allows for both activity on arc (AoA) and activity on node (AoN). If you have the choice, as DFranklin said, the latter makes life easier and doesn't require the use of dummy activities.

If you're stuck with using AoA, it would help to label the nodes so they can be refered to - can't talk about it much otherwise.

Clearly you can't have the upwards vertically running dummy as you're already realised, so remove it.

I would create a new node just for the start of E. Edit: Or hang it directly off B.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest