The Student Room Group

Reapplying for dentistry

So I decided last minute to apply for dentistry so I didn’t get any work experience and my UCAT score (2,400) wasn’t great because I only had two weeks to prepare before applying. So I didn’t get any dentistry offers, however, I want to reapply this year as I’ve been offered work experience and volunteer work for over the summer and this year I’ll work even harder for the UCAT. My predicted grades are an A* in chemistry and English literature, and an A in biology. My GCSEs are also 77,8888,99. The problem is is that I can’t take a year out this year. I’ve also been offered a pharmacy course and my parents want me to take it. So I was wondering whether it is possible to go to the Pharmacy course but also apply via ucas for dentistry. All the unis said they don’t accept transfers for dentistry, however, I wouldn’t be transferring as I plan to start from year one of the dentistry course.
Thanks for the PM @laggynaggy I was just wondering whether Birmingham ever found out about you applying to different courses. Also did the fact you were already on a uni course make it harder to get into dentistry?
yes I told them before applying and it was completely fine. Also make sure that you contact the universities that you are applying to that you are a first gear student because a first year student is usually always considered because when I emailed QUB, they said they dont take students enrolled at other universities but I applied anyways and still got an interview. Just make sure that you leave yourself enough time to practice for the UCAT or/and the BMAT. I felt like applying to dentistry whilst being at another university was no different, if not easier because I did not have to deal with the stress of A-Levels
Original post by laggynaggy
yes I told them before applying and it was completely fine. Also make sure that you contact the universities that you are applying to that you are a first gear student because a first year student is usually always considered because when I emailed QUB, they said they dont take students enrolled at other universities but I applied anyways and still got an interview. Just make sure that you leave yourself enough time to practice for the UCAT or/and the BMAT. I felt like applying to dentistry whilst being at another university was no different, if not easier because I did not have to deal with the stress of A-Levels

Ah okay thank you that makes sense now. It’s just because I also asked about this on another forum but people were saying that couldn’t reapply whilst being on a different course, but hearing that you were able to is a lot more reassuring.
Original post by Margot.smith3
Ah okay thank you that makes sense now. It’s just because I also asked about this on another forum but people were saying that couldn’t reapply whilst being on a different course, but hearing that you were able to is a lot more reassuring.

yess I get that, but its just because many people tend to think the gap year route is the only solution, even though it isn’t. Also doing a pharmacy degree would be really useful to talk about in an interview because it shows you understand aspects of healthcare that may be good and may not be. Therefore a pharmacy degree may be useful in discussing about different areas of healthcare which will make you really stand out as an applicant
So I decided last minute to apply for dentistry so I didn’t get any work experience and my UCAT score (2,400) wasn’t great because I only had two weeks to prepare before applying. So I didn’t get any dentistry offers, however, I want to reapply this year as I’ve been offered work experience and volunteer work for over the summer and this year I’ll work even harder for the UCAT. My predicted grades are an A* in chemistry and English literature, and an A in biology. My GCSEs are also 77,8888,99. The problem is is that I can’t take a year out this year. I’ve also been offered a pharmacy course and my parents want me to take it. So I was wondering whether it is possible to go to the Pharmacy course but also apply via ucas for dentistry. All the unis said they don’t accept transfers for dentistry, however, I wouldn’t be transferring as I plan to start from year one of the dentistry course.

Hey Margot :smile:

Your stats sound great, in your reapplication you'll have to retake your UCAT so if you need any help with try to achieve a higher score, we have plenty of free courses that can help you out!

We also offer 1-to-1 tutoring and online courses where you can gain access to lots of tutorials. Most of our students average around 2800 after undergoing the course and find it quite useful so I'd definitely recommend it but it's completely up to you. We also offer a free trial if you just want to see what it's like before deciding to book anything!

I've also linked an article you might find useful when you start preparing for your UCAT again:
https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/ucat-preparation/

If you have any more questions about applying, I'd be more than happy to answer!

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student at Bristol
medicmind.co.uk
Original post by Medic Mind
Hey Margot :smile:

Your stats sound great, in your reapplication you'll have to retake your UCAT so if you need any help with try to achieve a higher score, we have plenty of free courses that can help you out!

We also offer 1-to-1 tutoring and online courses where you can gain access to lots of tutorials. Most of our students average around 2800 after undergoing the course and find it quite useful so I'd definitely recommend it but it's completely up to you. We also offer a free trial if you just want to see what it's like before deciding to book anything!

I've also linked an article you might find useful when you start preparing for your UCAT again:
https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medicine-ucas-guide/ucat-preparation/

If you have any more questions about applying, I'd be more than happy to answer!

Numra
Year 3 Dental Student at Bristol
medicmind.co.uk

Ah thank you I will keep that in mind as I need to get a good score this time around. I saw that you’re from Bristol uni and I was wondering because on their website it said no transfers into dentistry, however, I’m intending to apply to start the course from the begging game so wondering whether I’d still be considered.
Ah thank you I will keep that in mind as I need to get a good score this time around. I saw that you’re from Bristol uni and I was wondering because on their website it said no transfers into dentistry, however, I’m intending to apply to start the course from the begging game so wondering whether I’d still be considered.

Yes I do go to Bristol, I haven't heard of anyone transferring from another course but I have seen lots of people who do Dentistry after they have already done a degree such as Biomedicine or Pharmacy. I'd say call them and ask any questions that you have, they should be more than happy to help and then at least you know for definite before applying :smile:

Numra
Year 3 Bristol Dental Student
www.medicmind.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest