Danyal124
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Help!!!!!! Urgent I don’t understand why methanol reacts to replace the H on the carboxylic acid group. Could someone explain this in terms of a reaction ie a nucleophile attacks a polar bond also is h2s04 a catalyst I can’t see any use for it
Attached files
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Danyal124)
Help!!!!!! Urgent I don’t understand why methanol reacts to replace the H on the carboxylic acid group. Could someone explain this in terms of a reaction ie a nucleophile attacks a polar bond also is h2s04 a catalyst I can’t see any use for it
It doesn't replace the H, it is the OH that is replaced.

It is standard esterification. You'll easily find the mechanism is you google for it. I doubt that the mechanism is on your spec, though. That said, I don't know them all in detail.
TSRTD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Danyal124)
concentrated sulfuric acid is the catalyst for esterification. Methanol has an OH group and glutamic acid has COOH groups so the esterification reaction can occur.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.91%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
19.09%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
8.18%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.18%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.91%

Watched Threads