The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Do Durham students deserve their reputation?

Durham's English course looks amazing, and the city is beautiful, but I have been so put off applying by everything I've heard about the student body. I've heard about huge problems with racism and classism specifically. Beyond this, it's that everyone is a posh Oxbridge reject, or clones of each other in flares and puffer jackets. I'd love to go to Durham for the academics but I feel like I'd honestly just be miserable.

I know not everyone is like this, and there'll be people who you just don't get on with everywhere you go, but have people found the stereotypes to have some truth to them?
Original post by amybower
Durham's English course looks amazing, and the city is beautiful, but I have been so put off applying by everything I've heard about the student body. I've heard about huge problems with racism and classism specifically. Beyond this, it's that everyone is a posh Oxbridge reject, or clones of each other in flares and puffer jackets. I'd love to go to Durham for the academics but I feel like I'd honestly just be miserable.

I know not everyone is like this, and there'll be people who you just don't get on with everywhere you go, but have people found the stereotypes to have some truth to them?

Hi,
Luckily you are likely to have the opportunity to visit the universities you're interested in before applying, especially if you're not applying to Oxford or Cambridge, as the UCAS deadline is mid-January.
I applied to both Oxford and Durham (for English) this year, but only managed to visit Oxford before lockdown. However, what I'd say about about all the students I encountered at Oxford when visiting the various colleges is that none of them fitted the class stereotype of an Oxford student, and at no time did I, as someone who goes to a London comprehensive, think 'This place isn't for people like me.' But, coming from London, I was aware that it wasn't as diverse racially.
Of course there will be a whole range of people in any of the top universities, including people from private and public schools, and the only way to decide how a place feels (and whether it is overwhelmingly 'posh' or lacking in racial diversity) is to visit.
So, my advice would be to check out all the courses you're interested in, do as much research as you can on the places, including YouTube videos, and once you've narrowed down your list, visit.
Good luck!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Daughter at a Bailey college having gone to a state comp previously. She has met loads of lovely people from all walks of life. I would not let the sterotype put you off. The Bailey colleges are a bit more Rah than the Hill colleges but there will be people at any college who you will like and have similar interests. Yes diversity is a problem as overall Durham is very white but they are trying to encourage diversity as much as they can. The college system is much more welcoming than a standard uni halls experience.

Quick Reply

Latest