Is this normal or fair ?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My parents have said that once I finish college if I don’t go to uni I will have to get a job and help pay the bills like council tax and other stuff. Is this normal or fair ?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Of course it's normal and fair to contribute if you are living with your parents. What were you expecting to do after college?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Ill say its quite fair to be honest as in some households the children once they reach over the age of 18 (some cases 16) have to either pay a small fee (rent) for living in the house or help with one of the bills or help with the council tax. But it all depends on the parents as some parents will make you work and say things like you need to help with bills etc so that you save the money so you have some finacial back up for yourself if anything happens and they dont acctually want to you to help out with bills so they basically want you to collect some money for yourselfs and gain experience as your not going into further education

It all honestly depends on your educational background parents background and finacial condtion
Amin7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
As long as you are living with your parents, you will have to help with the bills.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Many parents do expect teenagers over 16 to pay housekeeping, weekly rent or a financial contribution towards household bills in order to be allowed to continue living in their bedroom.
Particularly when the household is reliant upon a single wage, receives disability benefits, the majority of monthly income is from zero hours contracts or UC.

I've never believed that it is right for employed family members in comfortable financial positions to demand money from young descendants or seek rent from close relatives.
Nor to treat them like lodgers, threaten to make them homeless/at risk of living on the breadline or issue ultimatums connected with uni and money.

Ultimatums have a 50% risk of failure in terms of obtaining the desired outcome and issuing them can ruin a close relationship forever.
Most healthy young people will eventually get fed up of being treated like a bin, carpet or cashpoint and decide to make plans to extricate themselves from a toxic daily living environment as soon as possible.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents have said that once I finish college if I don’t go to uni I will have to get a job and help pay the bills like council tax and other stuff. Is this normal or fair ?
If you weren't planning on going to uni nor getting a job, it seemed like you were expecting to enjoy free time and relax. To me it is more unfair to free ride on your parents' hard work if this is your own choice. I wouldn't expect you to pay everybody's expenses, but it seems normal to pay your share of them (e.g. 1/3 of the water bill if you are living alone with your parents)
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
yes it's normal and it's fair. not sure what you expected to do with yourself with no school and no job, but your parents' expectations really are for your own benefit as well. personally know kids at uni who have never had a job, and now that they want one they find it difficult to get one because they have no experience (you see it on TSR all the time as well). helping out with bills teaches you to be responsible with money and also helps with self esteem as you know you're not an adult freeloader.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
21.62%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
10.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (4)
10.81%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
21.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
27.03%

Watched Threads