alishahz30
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It is very difficult and confusing for international students to choose a university on the basis of rankings, I am also among them, I chose my universities on the basis of the best world subject rankings and now guardian rankings show them to be worst. Which rankings should we trust and which one is better to follow.
e.g economics in sussex is ranked in top 10 in UK in world rankings where as guardian shows it to be in the 40's.
Last edited by alishahz30; 4 weeks ago
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alishahz30)
It is very difficult and confusing for international students to choose a university on the basis of rankings, I am also among them, I chose my universities on the basis of the best world subject rankings and now guardian rankings show them to be worst. Which rankings should we trust and which one is better to follow.
e.g economics in sussex is ranked in top 10 in UK in world rankings where as guardian shows it to be in the 40's.
Remember that these newspaper rankings are partially designed to draw in views, comments and click, they each use fundamentally different metrics so need to be used with some care and their statistical analysis tends to be pretty sketchy in places. THE tends to be pretty solid and relatively consistent year to year in my opinion, but the Guardian throws up some really odd rankings, and it’s also very prone to MAJOR shifts in position from year to year, which is simply not “physical”, that is an indication of the methodology changing a lot. It tends to weight student satisfaction (which is a very poor metric and exceptionally hard to benchmark between universities) rather than research strength. Sure, universities do go up or down over time, but do they really “improve” or "fall" 20-40 places ?
Last edited by Mr Wednesday; 4 weeks ago
lodulalit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
QS rankings seem to be the best and the most reliable amongst all these. Don't trust guardian, it shows the opposite of all other rankings.
RoyalBeams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Guardian rankings (and all other domestic rankings) are thrash for prestige/reputation assessment of universities.

Don't use them for that assessment.

End of!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The QS and THE rankings are measuring research publications, citations, funding and reputation with academic staff. If you’re applying for an undergraduate degree then none of those measures are relevant (in the UK research income actually indicates how much tuition fees are syphoned away from teaching to subsidise research - the research funding assumes 20% of costs will be sourced from other sources of income - tuition fees).

Look at which metrics Sussex scores poorly on in the guardian. Dig into more details on the discover uni website and decide if those weaknesses are important for you to thrive on the course.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Remember that these newspaper rankings are partially designed to draw in views, comments and click, they each use fundamentally different metrics so need to be used with some care and their statistical analysis tends to be pretty sketchy in places. THE tends to be pretty solid and relatively consistent year to year in my opinion, but the Guardian throws up some really odd rankings, and it’s also very prone to MAJOR shifts in position from year to year, which is simply not “physical”, that is an indication of the methodology changing a lot. It tends to weight student satisfaction (which is a very poor metric and exceptionally hard to benchmark between universities) rather than research strength. Sure, universities do go up or down over time, but do they really “improve” or "fall" 20-40 places ?
The Guardian methodology doesn’t change substantially year on year. - it just doesn’t have 2003-2014 REF data buffering the rankings.

And the weighting on NSS is lower in the subject tables than the Complete and Times rankings.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
The Guardian methodology doesn’t change substantially year on year. - it just doesn’t have 2003-2014 REF data buffering the rankings.

And the weighting on NSS is lower in the subject tables than the Complete and Times rankings.
The Guardian has some seriously big jumps from 2020 to 2021, Chichester from 73 to 29, Heriot-Watt from 61 to 35, Nottingham from 18 to 38, Lincoln from 17 to 52, Liverpool Hope from 43 to 84. When you see single year place changes of 20-30 or more in a table with only 120 entries that tells me something about the "robustness" or otherwise of the methodology. Did Hope really get 41 places "better" in one year ? Did Lincoln get 35 places "worse" ? These are jumps of order 1/3 of the entire table.
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey alishahz30,

I understand that university rankings play an important role in choosing which university to go to.

I have found that focusing on the course content and whether the course is properly accredited is more important than looking at the overall rankings, as the rankings can fluctuate a lot and there are numerous factors that come into play.

You may be disappointed if you choose a university sorely off of university rankings, and find out later that the rankings have gone down when you graduate. I would advise you to look at the course content and choose a university where you will enjoy spending 3+ years of your time. If you are enjoying university life, you will probably perform better in return as you are more motivated.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions please let me know!

Kind Regards,
Erica
(3rd Year BSc Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (77)
4.76%
Uncertainty around my education (247)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
10.94%
Lack of purpose or motivation (228)
14.09%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (72)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (95)
5.87%
Loneliness (140)
8.65%
Financial worries (58)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (73)
4.51%
Exposure to negative news/social media (80)
4.94%
Lack of real life entertainment (85)
5.25%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (139)
8.59%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (147)
9.09%

Watched Threads