The Student Room Group

Answered

Answeredddd
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I've moved your thread to the pharmacy forum so hopefully some current or former pharmacy students can advise :smile:

Unless they have studied both pharmacy and medicine I'm not sure they are really in a position to comment on whether one is more conceptually harder than the other. Also I never got the impression that medicine was difficult because it was conceptually hard (unlike say, the maths in a maths degree, or a lot of the more abstract elements of courses like philosophy or linguistics), just that there was an enormous amount of material to cover in a relatively short amount of time.

It sounds more like something they are saying in a self-aggrandizing way, to make themselves seem exceptionally clever, without really thinking of the effect that has on prospective students to the course...
Original post by Ohnourlp
I’ve been accepted in pharmacy and I am so glad because I was so nervous in the interviews. I’ve been asking some students and they’ve told the course is terribly hard, even conceptually harder than medicine. My performance at school is just about average and I don’t see myself as particularly intellectual. I also have ADHD and can’t focus for too long but it hasn’t seriously impacted my learning. Can anyone here tell me their experience of pharmacy school ?

I studied Pharmacy from 2009-2013.

If you're good at sciences in school you'll find it a natural transition. Topics in university are more advanced and a lot of it you'll find is just information you need to pass exams and not relevant to your practice in the future. It's not overwhelmingly advanced information but more so things you need to remember. You just become an encyclopaedia of medicines, pharmacy law and how to counsel patients and I would argue that university only gives you a core knowledge. The vast majority of your usable knowledge comes in your pre-registration year, when you pass the exam and then once you start practicing.
Original post by Ohnourlp
I’ve been accepted in pharmacy and I am so glad because I was so nervous in the interviews. I’ve been asking some students and they’ve told the course is terribly hard, even conceptually harder than medicine. My performance at school is just about average and I don’t see myself as particularly intellectual. I also have ADHD and can’t focus for too long but it hasn’t seriously impacted my learning. Can anyone here tell me their experience of pharmacy school ?

Congratulations on your offer @Ohnourlp :awesome: You're right to be so happy with yourself, that's a great achievement! Imposter syndrome can really make you doubt yourself, but you've been given an offer for a reason and you've earned that just as much as anyone that'll be joining the course with you has :smile: I'm sure you're not the only one that'll be starting uni feeling this way! If you go in to your degree ready to tackle it and feeling ready to learn then I'm sure you'll set yourself off on the right path. If you're concerned about your ADHD and how that will impact your studies, be sure to bring this up with a course leader once you start so that they are aware and can support you as best as they can.

You've totally earned your place, so don't give anyone the power to put you off the course before it's begun. No doubt it will be hard- and some times may be harder than others- but you can succeed and you wouldn't have been accepted if the uni didn't see that in you :^_^:

Keep working hard, I'm sure you'll be amazing!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending