Hancxoxo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Is transferring unis after first year easy? I was considering moving to the university in my city- the offer for the course which I’m currently on already is bbb as opposed to the course at my current uni which is abb, however my a level grades from the pandemic 2020 year were bbc (i got in on an unconditional).
I just don’t know where I would even start or who I’d speak to in terms of university communications. I’m planning on finishing the year at my current university and don’t want to disrupt this year however I have no clue about potential transfer deadlines or clauses. if anyone could give insight it’d be great!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Your explanation of what your grades are vs what course you are applying to or already on is extremely ambiguous and impossible to tell whatever you are talking about. I have no idea what "the offer for the course which I’m currently on already is bbb as opposed to the course at my current uni which is abb" is supposed to mean, because you've essentially just written that the same course, which is the one you are studying, has two different entry criteria.

In any case, in general terms, it depends on what you mean by "transferring". If you mean, going from year 1 at one uni, to year 2 at another, then yes it is rather since it's quite unusual and you have no guarantee other unis will accept your first year as equivalent to their own. Normally if that were your intention you would need to contact the "target" uni well in advance to see if they will consider it, and get essentially confirmation they will consider (or accept) your application before you apply through UCAS.

However if you mean going from year 1 at one uni to year 1 at another uni, then maybe less so. It's really just applying through UCAS the normal way, except with some additional, slightly different study under your belt. Unis in that situation may stipulate you get a certain average in your first year at the other uni, or they may make a decision just on the basis of your school qualifications.

In all cases the usual UCAS deadlines apply, which have now passed. Of course, some courses and unis do consider applications after the deadline, but you would need to contact them to find out. Also you can still apply through clearing in the normal way, after A-level results day (although clearing technically opens before that, the majority of courses aren't added to it until A-level results day and some unis won't start making offers through clearing until then).

The exception is if both courses are at the same uni, in which case you may be able to switch courses entirely internally. As this would be an internal matter for the university, only your uni can tell you if that is possible, or what requirements there may be. So you should ask them in the first instance.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Hancxoxo)
Is transferring unis after first year easy? I was considering moving to the university in my city- the offer for the course which I’m currently on already is bbb as opposed to the course at my current uni which is abb, however my a level grades from the pandemic 2020 year were bbc (i got in on an unconditional).
I just don’t know where I would even start or who I’d speak to in terms of university communications. I’m planning on finishing the year at my current university and don’t want to disrupt this year however I have no clue about potential transfer deadlines or clauses. if anyone could give insight it’d be great!
The Transfer FAQ will answer many of your questions:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424
Hancxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Your explanation of what your grades are vs what course you are applying to or already on is extremely ambiguous and impossible to tell whatever you are talking about. I have no idea what "the offer for the course which I’m currently on already is bbb as opposed to the course at my current uni which is abb" is supposed to mean, because you've essentially just written that the same course, which is the one you are studying, has two different entry criteria.

In any case, in general terms, it depends on what you mean by "transferring". If you mean, going from year 1 at one uni, to year 2 at another, then yes it is rather since it's quite unusual and you have no guarantee other unis will accept your first year as equivalent to their own. Normally if that were your intention you would need to contact the "target" uni well in advance to see if they will consider it, and get essentially confirmation they will consider (or accept) your application before you apply through UCAS.

However if you mean going from year 1 at one uni to year 1 at another uni, then maybe less so. It's really just applying through UCAS the normal way, except with some additional, slightly different study under your belt. Unis in that situation may stipulate you get a certain average in your first year at the other uni, or they may make a decision just on the basis of your school qualifications.

In all cases the usual UCAS deadlines apply, which have now passed. Of course, some courses and unis do consider applications after the deadline, but you would need to contact them to find out. Also you can still apply through clearing in the normal way, after A-level results day (although clearing technically opens before that, the majority of courses aren't added to it until A-level results day and some unis won't start making offers through clearing until then).

The exception is if both courses are at the same uni, in which case you may be able to switch courses entirely internally. As this would be an internal matter for the university, only your uni can tell you if that is possible, or what requirements there may be. So you should ask them in the first instance.
The course I’m doing is criminology and I want to stay on that course. I did initially get an offer for the university I was thinking about transferring to, also.
Hancxoxo
Rep:
?
Is it possible to transfer universities come September and continue with my degree if I stay on the same course?
Hancxoxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hancxoxo)
The course I’m doing is criminology and I want to stay on that course. I did initially get an offer for the university I was thinking about transferring to, also.
I’ve just realised I made a typo. What I meant to say is that the course I’m on currently had a requirement of Abb, and the one I wanted to transfer to was bbb
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
—-
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads