Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have an offer for chemical engineering at southampton but am not sure if its worth putting as my firm or insurance yet. I've been to a virtual open day but that's about it. What do current students think of the uni in terms of its teaching, exposure to industries, the night life, city etc.

thanks in advance
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have an offer for chemical engineering at southampton but am not sure if its worth putting as my firm or insurance yet. I've been to a virtual open day but that's about it. What do current students think of the uni in terms of its teaching, exposure to industries, the night life, city etc.

thanks in advance
Hi!

Our Chemical Engineering Undergraduate course will be starting off in September 2021, so you'd be in the first cohort! Chemical Engineering will be based across the subject areas of Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering, so I've asked a Chemistry student if they could reply to say how they find the university and course.

Niamh said: "I am a third year Chemistry student and have loved my time at Southampton! Chemistry is intensive with approximately 25 hours of contact per week, ranging from lectures to workshops but there is plenty of time to explore the city. The night life here is excellent because there is so many different clubs and bars to choose from including the famous Jesters, Turtle Bay and more!"

Edited (11/05/2021 to add new quote from a Mechanical Engineering student, Emily.)

Emily said: "I’m a second year Mechanical Engineer at University of Southampton. I have found the teaching good, and even maintained a high standard through corona times. It varies lecturer to lecturer of course, but we also have a very good head of department who encourages, and is very responsive to, any feedback given.

"Industry exposure wise, Southampton encourage taking a year out to work in the engineering industry, which you do have to source on your own accord, but there are lots of careers services, talks from big company’s like Rolls Royce etc.

"The night life at Southampton is brilliant, it’s a very student dense area, so there’s an endless variety of bars, clubs, pubs to go to. From main stream clubs, to cheesy, to dnb, there’s really something for everyone.

"The city is also great, big shopping centre and lots of restaurants. There’s also a smaller town nearer campus called Portswood which is home to a lot of the nightlife and also supermarkets, so you don’t always have to go into the city.

"I personally put Southampton as my firm and so far I’m having a great uni experience and don’t regret it! Hope this helps "

Bronwyn
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 4 weeks ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above it's a new course so, there won't be any former students yet. That said both it's engineering and chemistry departments are among their "flagship" departments, in my opinion, and I believe the course is embedded in their chemistry department administratively. So that might be a good sign. In terms of industry there is the Fawley refinery in Southampton which may provide opportunities for placements or internships during the course in your doorstep.

CheeseIsVeg is a chemistry student there (and soon to be grad already I think!) And might be able to advise on life in the chemistry department at Southampton if not about the chemical engineering course specifically
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

thanks in advance
Hiya
If you haven't already, I would check out the website. Not sure if Chem Eng will be doing labs in chemistry but if so, the undergraduate labs were just refurbished so they are super nice and shiny :woo:
I would go with your gut, remember it's the first year they are doing this at Southampton so that may influence your decision.

Uni has pretty great teaching and the department is well-linked with industrial partners around the UK :yes:. Apparently the night life is good but I wouldn't know I hate clubs.
City is nice! It's not crazy big like London but has a good variety of shops, cinemas, bowling, escape rooms etc. and there is a ferry to the isle of wight if you want a fun trip
There are also great buses in the city linking up all campuses, uni accommodation sites and the city centre/train station around Southampton.

Hope this helps,
Cheese
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above it's a new course so, there won't be any former students yet. That said both it's engineering and chemistry departments are among their "flagship" departments, in my opinion, and I believe the course is embedded in their chemistry department administratively. So that might be a good sign. In terms of industry there is the Fawley refinery in Southampton which may provide opportunities for placements or internships during the course in your doorstep.

CheeseIsVeg is a chemistry student there (and soon to be grad already I think!) And might be able to advise on life in the chemistry department at Southampton if not about the chemical engineering course specifically
:yep:
haha yes how crazy is that! I graduate very soon :eek3:
:ta: as ever! :hugs:
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi!

Our Chemical Engineering Undergraduate course will be starting off in September 2021, so you'd be in the first cohort! Chemical Engineering will be based across the subject areas of Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering, so I've asked a Chemistry student if they could reply to say how they find the university and course.

Niamh said: "I am a third year Chemistry student and have loved my time at Southampton! Chemistry is intensive with approximately 25 hours of contact per week, ranging from lectures to workshops but there is plenty of time to explore the city. The night life here is excellent because there is so many different clubs and bars to choose from including the famous Jesters, Turtle Bay and more!"

Edited (11/05/2021 to add new quote from a Mechanical Engineering student, Emily.)

Emily said: "I’m a second year Mechanical Engineer at University of Southampton. I have found the teaching good, and even maintained a high standard through corona times. It varies lecturer to lecturer of course, but we also have a very good head of department who encourages, and is very responsive to, any feedback given.

"Industry exposure wise, Southampton encourage taking a year out to work in the engineering industry, which you do have to source on your own accord, but there are lots of careers services, talks from big company’s like Rolls Royce etc.

"The night life at Southampton is brilliant, it’s a very student dense area, so there’s an endless variety of bars, clubs, pubs to go to. From main stream clubs, to cheesy, to dnb, there’s really something for everyone.

"The city is also great, big shopping centre and lots of restaurants. There’s also a smaller town nearer campus called Portswood which is home to a lot of the nightlife and also supermarkets, so you don’t always have to go into the city.

"I personally put Southampton as my firm and so far I’m having a great uni experience and don’t regret it! Hope this helps "

Bronwyn
thank you for replying it was very helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (106)
27.53%
England (130)
33.77%
Belgium (30)
7.79%
Germany (41)
10.65%
Spain (8)
2.08%