Unknownn1.x
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A student warms a mixture of methanal HCHO and acidified potassium manganate. The student observes gas bubbles. Explain this observation in terms of electrode potentials and equilibria. Include overall equations in your answer.

1 = CO2 + 2H+ + 2e- —>HCOOH (EV =-0.11)
2 HCOOH + 2H+ + 2e- —> HCHO + H2O (EV= -0.03)
3 Ag+ + e- —-> Ag (EV= +0.80)
4 MnO4- + 8H+ + 5e- —> Mn2+ + 4H2O (EV= +1.51)

Can someone help me I have no clue what to do
Last edited by Unknownn1.x; 1 month ago
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
Methanoic acid HCOOH can be used in a fuel cell. The fuel HCOOH is supplied at one electrode and the oxidant (oxygen) at the other electrode.

The standard cell potential for this fuel cell is 1.34V.

The overall reaction is shown below:

HCOOH + 1/2O2 -> H2O + CO2

Deduce the half equation for the reaction at the oxygen electrode and calculate the standard electrode potential for the oxygen half cell.

Can someone help me idk where to start on this question
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unknownn1.x)
Methanoic acid HCOOH can be used in a fuel cell. The fuel HCOOH is supplied at one electrode and the oxidant (oxygen) at the other electrode.

The standard cell potential for this fuel cell is 1.34V.

Deduce the half equation for the reaction at the oxygen electrode and calculate the standard electrode potential for the oxygen half cell.

Can someone help me idk where to start on this question
Name:  8E730279-0F55-408B-A54B-3284CA77747E.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  23.6 KB
Yun0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well first of all, the gas/bubbles formed are definitely the CO2, so that's gotta be part of the last equation, And since we're starting by oxidizing methanal (an aldehyde) to methanoic acid using manganate ions, that's gotta be first.
So the first equation after balancing everything out is (5HCHO)+(2MnO4-)+(6H+)-> (2Mn2+)+(3H2O)+(5HCOOH) with change in voltage being (1.51+0.03=+1.54V) (as methanal is getting oxidized and manganate reduced, and reduce V- oxidize V) positive so thermodynamically feasible.
With methanoic acid obtained, next we use the silver ions to get CO2 (gas).
(HCOOH)+(2Ag+)-> (2Ag)+(CO2)+(2H+) with change in V being (0.8+0.11=+0.91V) (reduce V- oxidize V) Positive so thermodynamically feasible and the gas is CO2.
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
Well first of all, the gas/bubbles formed are definitely the CO2, so that's gotta be part of the last equation, And since we're starting by oxidizing methanal (an aldehyde) to methanoic acid using manganate ions, that's gotta be first.
So the first equation after balancing everything out is (5HCHO)+(2MnO4-)+(6H+)-> (2Mn2+)+(3H2O)+(5HCOOH) with change in voltage being (1.51+0.03=+1.54V) (as methanal is getting oxidized and manganate reduced, and reduce V- oxidize V) positive so thermodynamically feasible.
(HCOOH)+(2Ag+)-> (2Ag)+(CO2)+(2H+) with change in V being (0.8+0.11=+0.91V) (reduce V- oxidize V) Positive so thermodynamically feasible and the gas is CO2.
Sorry how do u know that methanal is being oxidised? And also thank you so much, this is so helpful
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
Also if you can, would you be able to help me with this question too:

Methanoic acid, HCOOH, can be used in a fuel cell. The fuel, HCOOH, is supplied at one electrode and the oxidant (oxygen) at the other electrode. The standard cell potential for this fuel cell is 1.34V.

Using the information below use the half equation for the reaction at the oxygen electrode and calculate the standard electrode potential for the oxygen half cell.

1 CO2 + 2H+ + 2e- —>HCOOH (EV =-0.11)
Yun0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry how do u know that methanal is being oxidised? And also thank you so much, this is so helpful
Acidified potassium manganate is an oxidising agent, and methanal is an aldehyde which can be oxidized to methanoic acid/carboxylic acid (unlike ketones)
r0yyjte
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
answer
Yun0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by r0yyjte)
answer
HA, being a while since that happened
Yun0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Methanoic acid, HCOOH, can be used in a fuel cell. The fuel, HCOOH, is supplied at one electrode and the oxidant (oxygen) at the other electrode. The standard cell potential for this fuel cell is 1.34V.

Using the information below use the half equation for the reaction at the oxygen electrode and calculate the standard electrode potential for the oxygen half cell.

Yikes, not quite sure about this, but this is how i will do it:
Overall charge =+1.34, and we know that the oxygen is acting as the oxidizing agent here (the oxidant), thus the HCOOH should be reduced in the other electrode, which is what is happening with equation number 2.
Let's set standard electrode potential for the oxygen half cell as X.
So oxygen is gonna get reduced (since it's oxidizing at it's electrode), so based on reduced V-oxidized V, X-(-0.03)=1.34 X+0.03=1.34 X=+1.31V
(let me know if i get it right )
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
Yikes, not quite sure about this, but this is how i will do it:
Overall charge =+1.34, and we know that the oxygen is acting as the oxidizing agent here (the oxidant), thus the HCOOH should be reduced in the other electrode, which is what is happening with equation number 2.
Let's set standard electrode potential for the oxygen half cell as X.
So oxygen is gonna get reduced (since it's oxidizing at it's electrode), so based on reduced V-oxidized V, X-(-0.03)=1.34 X+0.03=1.34 X=+1.31V
(let me know if i get it right )
Thank you!! I will. Thank you so much you really helped me
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
You know where you balanced the first equation, when I balanced mine I got HCHO + MnO4- + 6H -> Mn2+ + 3H2O + HCOOH

what did I do wrong ?
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You know where you balanced the first equation, when I balanced mine I got HCHO + MnO4- + 6H -> Mn2+ + 3H2O + HCOOH

what did I do wrong ?
The number of electrons in each half-equation needs to be the same.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Yun0)
There is no mention of using silver ions in the question.

The methanoic acid is further oxidised by excess manganate(VII) in acid.
Yun0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by charco)
There is no mention of using silver ions in the question.

The methanoic acid is further oxidised by excess manganate(VII) in acid.
OH, yea yea yea
That makes more sense, i thought i had to use all the equations. (don't )
So the last one is (5HCOOH)+(2MnO4-)+(6H+)-> (2Mn2+)+(8H2O)+(5CO2) and 1.51+0.11=1.62V
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
OH, yea yea yea
That makes more sense, i thought i had to use all the equations. (don't )
So the last one is (5HCOOH)+(2MnO4-)+(6H+)-> (2Mn2+)+(8H2O)+(5CO2) and 1.51+0.11=1.62V
Thank you!
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?

charco could you also help me with this question so I can gain a better understanding?
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
For the change in voltage of the first equation you did: 1.51+0.03 = 1.54, but 0.03 is negative so would it not be 1.51 + (-0.03) = 1.48 v

Or is that wrong ?
Yun0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s 1.51-(-0.03), double negative so it’s plus
Unknownn1.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yun0)
It’s 1.51-(-0.03), double negative so it’s plus
Ohhh sorry silly mistake 😅I got it thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads