Turn on thread page Beta

Loosing wieght watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    course you do
    No, you dont, and I really cant be arsed to argue over such a ridiculous comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    doesn't eating celery consume more calories than it provides? that's *kinda* negative-calories isn't it?
    Nah, it doesnt, as foods like celery are mostly water, they dont provoke a decent thermogenic response. Your stomach is churning around all the time, even without food in it, and when you eat celery, your stomach simply carries on doing what it was doing before, it basically doesnt notice the celery is there, and you'd have to eat a lot of celery to do that, which means a lot of calories, which means that you would infact eat more calories then the processing of your celery by your stomach would require.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Nah, it doesnt, as foods like celery are mostly water, they dont provoke a decent thermogenic response. Your stomach is churning around all the time, even without food in it, and when you eat celery, your stomach simply carries on doing what it was doing before, it basically doesnt notice the celery is there, and you'd have to eat a lot of celery to do that, which means a lot of calories, which means that you would infact eat more calories then the processing of your celery by your stomach would require.
    Actually in my nutrition lecture (metabolism) today my lecturer said that celery does burn off more than it provides.

Although i can't find a link to prove it. Hmm may have to challenge her. Still she was fairly adamant about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Actually in my nutrition lecture (metabolism) today my lecturer said that celery does burn off more than it provides.
    k, hes right, Im wrong.

More to the point, why would you want to eat food which burns off more calories than it provides?

ReputationRep:
    k, hes right, Im wrong.

More to the point, why would you want to eat food which burns off more calories than it provides?

Because in theory you could burn calories without eating but still filling yourself up? Celery is rank though. And she doesn't like being called he, i tried it once.

ReputationRep:
    (I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if I repeat anything)

sleep more, and dont worry about losing weight. being healthy is far more important. And 11stone isn't bad for someone of your height. I'm 3 inches shorter than you, and was weighed at 11stone at the doctors today, which she said is about average for my height and age (18, nearly 19). Just make sure you eat ur greens and some fruit as often as possible. Most people don't need to lose weight, just to tone up the weight you carry. Also muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're toned and eat well then there's nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

Because in theory you could burn calories without eating but still filling yourself up? Celery is rank though. And she doesn't like being called he, i tried it once.
    Did your lecturer tell you that whilst in theory thats fine, in practice it doesnt work?

ReputationRep:
    Did your lecturer tell you that whilst in theory thats fine, in practice it doesnt work?
    No she didn't. I don't claim to be a fountain of knowledge on the subject. Why would it not work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    No she didn't. I don't claim to be a fountain of knowledge on the subject. Why would it not work?
    Like I said, to eat enough to fill you up would mean that you would be eating more calories than burning up by eating the celery..

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, to eat enough to fill you up would mean that you would be eating more calories than burning up by eating the celery..
    But the more you eat the more you burn...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Why are apples bad?! I thought they were 'negative calorie' food. Hmm.
    lol...negative calorie food..course not. They contain about 50 cals per average apple...looks positive to me!

(and apples dont contain the same cals as chocolate, unless u eat about 5 apples in exchange for one chocolate bar...now which seems more tempting!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    But the more you eat the more you burn...
    Say you eat 100g of celery which has 100 calories(dont know the actual values) and it takes 110 calories to burn that celery, thats 10 calories burned overal. Now adding another 100g wont take another 110 calories to burn it, i.e. the connection between amount consumed and calories burned isnt linear..

ReputationRep:
    Say you eat 100g of celery which has 100 calories(dont know the actual values) and it takes 110 calories to burn that celery, thats 10 calories burned overal. Now adding another 100g wont take another 110 calories to burn it, i.e. the connection between amount consumed and calories burned isnt linear..

No thats true, you're right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temilola)
    I've recently turned 18 and it has just dawned on me that i'm not getting any taller (or any prettier for that matter). I come from a family of stunning siblings, and im sick of being the ugly duckling in the family. So i've decided that the only thing to do is loose wieght. I'm about 5ft7 and weigh about 11 stone (although i dont look like i do).

Has n e 1 got ne ideas on how to loose wieght?? I will admit that i'm a bit of a glutton and i thoroughly enjoy my food, so ideas on how to prevent over eating and gorging would be much appreciated!
    well

if you dont LOOK like 11 stone why are you trying to lose weight. im about 9 stone flat and 5'7. I merely have set times to eat.....and of course, I am a glutton. but by eating smaller meals more often you can trick your brain into thinking you eat all the time. ALSO if you are going to start counting calories or kilajuwels, DONT COUNT VEGGIES....they are SO low calorie and filling that it is better not to count them. this way, you think it's ok to eat buckets and buckets of them....AND YOU CAN! because they are SO LOW CALORIE and good for you.

seriously, like a whole tomato only has bout 40 calories. a whole bunch of celery has about 30. and a pound of lettuce has about 100.....really, that is 16 servings of something for only 100 calories!

it doesnt get ANY better.

but of course, I'm a vegan, so.....

ReputationRep:
    No, you dont, and I really cant be arsed to argue over such a ridiculous comment.
    I agree - THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NEGATIVE CALORIE FOOD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemisshala)
    lol...negative calorie food..course not. They contain about 50 cals per average apple...looks positive to me!

(and apples dont contain the same cals as chocolate, unless u eat about 5 apples in exchange for one chocolate bar...now which seems more tempting!)
    I ate a lovely apple today. <-- random comment.

http://www.playgroundofdeath.com/vault.html The "Fatkins diet" rant on there is entertaining (but bad language and violent squirrels so don't click the link unless you're hardcore ) <-- random link.

So long as I do enough excercise I can eat pretty much what I like. Sure, I could starve myself or survive on some mutant pink power drink/soup, but I enjoy cooking and eating... life is for enjoying I reckon <-- less random comment.

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight doesn't make you any happier. It doesn't make you feel prettier or any better about yourself. It's really not worth the hassle - and it IS a lot of hard work. Just eat healthily and excercise moderately and enjoy life. Seriously. I mean say you do get to x weight, and you wear x size clothes, you're the same person, in the same situation, in the same life, just smaller. Not worth it. (Unless a doc has said so, but I don't think you're overweight, so I'd doubt that)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    Losing weight doesn't make you any happier. It doesn't make you feel prettier or any better about yourself.
    that's not true at all. some people feel that they'll only be happy and feel more confident about themselves if they lost weight. so if someone wants to lose weight, then why not? it's up to them do what they wish with their bodies.
    and it's quite simple if you put your mind to it..eat healthily, exercise more as others have previously said

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight doesn't make you any happier. It doesn't make you feel prettier or any better about yourself. It's really not worth the hassle - and it IS a lot of hard work. Just eat healthily and excercise moderately and enjoy life. Seriously. I mean say you do get to x weight, and you wear x size clothes, you're the same person, in the same situation, in the same life, just smaller. Not worth it. (Unless a doc has said so, but I don't think you're overweight, so I'd doubt that)
    Sorry, but Im going to compeltely disagree with you.

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight doesn't make you any happier. It doesn't make you feel prettier or any better about yourself. It's really not worth the hassle - and it IS a lot of hard work.
    I agree that it is hard work, but not with any of the rest. I lost lots of weight once, and I felt much prettier and better about myself. Granted, it wont get rid of every issue you have with your looks, but if you think you look fat, then generally losing weight gets rid of that hang-up. Worked for me anyway.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.