ruthmckeown1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey!

I have an essay to write, the question is ‘religion is the root of all conflict in these novels’, and I’m supposed to compare and contrast between the Book Thief and The Kite Runner. Could anybody offer me any help? I’m really struggling to find comparisons between the two on the theme of religion
lkshmiseta
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ruthmckeown1)
Hey!

I have an essay to write, the question is ‘religion is the root of all conflict in these novels’, and I’m supposed to compare and contrast between the Book Thief and The Kite Runner. Could anybody offer me any help? I’m really struggling to find comparisons between the two on the theme of religion
In the 'Kite Runner if I am not mistaken religion is the root to all conflict as the protagonist belong to a particular tribe which in terms of numbers is smaller compared to other tribe. Due to this, acts of violences are committed against one of them which later leads to a sense of shame and separation between the two main protagonist.
Later in the text the search for the abused protagonist takes on a larger meaning when there is a realisation that due to caste differences, he could not be acknowledged as a part of the family.
All this unfolds very gradually. You read about this mainly as a subtext.

While in the 'Book Thief', I would say the very basis of Nazism is based on the superiority of one segment of people over the other. There is an unsaid war between the followers of Old Testament and the followers of New Testament.(This may seem like an oversimplification but for the purpose of the essay it makes sense ) The atrocities committed can be labelled as " race hatred". the very fact that knowledge ( learning) will break the barriers of religious hegemony is a powerful tool that the author uses it to distinguish the characters in the book. Some are helpless, others by the very act of reading and learning are rejection age old conventions of labelling people based on their religion.

You cold look at the two books and find quotes to support your argument. Unfortunately I don't have the text to help with quotes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads