The Student Room Group

Why are mothers so strict?

We are told to respect our parents, but our mothers are so strict, while our fathers are laid back. Why?
Reply 1
Mine isn't
Original post by Anonymous
We are told to respect our parents, but our mothers are so strict, while our fathers are laid back. Why?

It’s not always like that...
Not all mothers are.
My parents were equally controlling.
They just had different tactics, priorities and motivations.
It's interesting because for half of my life my mother was extremely strict and I sometimes felt on edge around her but now she's more laid back and understanding. Have you ever tried to talk to her about it? Respectfully of course. I remember talking to her about it and I really felt like I got through to her. I actually trust her more than ever before.

Point is it could just be the stage at which she's parenting, if it's really excessive talk to her or try find a compromise to where she feels like she's doing a good job but you also have you're own freedom.

Give her tokens of trust, so she doesn't have to keep you on a leash e.g doing the grocery shopping yourself. Volunteering to do something she usually does around the house etc. (these are just vague examples, whatever you think will help her be more relaxed will do)

Hope this helps!
Well, it's not always like that but my mother was less the controlling type and more the negative-demotivating type. My father was the opposite, optimistic and encouraging. Sadly for me my father was never at home so I was stuck with my mother who saw obstacles and difficulties everywhere...
Life’s difficult when you’re related to toxic people is all I can say about family. It really does make self esteem a farfetched idea
in an african household, its normal bro
just firm it then leave

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending