Nerdythings
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I want to take AH Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Is it as impossible as everyone makes It seem? Would you recommend it? and how did you find the workload?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nerdythings)
I want to take AH Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. Is it as impossible as everyone makes It seem? Would you recommend it? and how did you find the workload?
Hey Nerdythings Taking four advanced highers is no doubt going to be *a lot* of work for you. There's a few things to think about- What would you like to do after school? If you're thinking of university... How relevant are those Advanced Highers to the degree you'd like to go for? Are you taking any other subjects that will be challenging?

It's totally up to you, and if you're keen to do them and ready for the challenge and your school will support you then alright When I'm speaking to applicants though I'd generally say that your 6th year is a great year to consolidate your Higher knowledge in relevant areas (e.g. if you'd like to do Engineering focus on AH Maths & Physics) while also developing your extra curricular skills and projects that will look great on your Personal Statement. 5th year is the year to work really hard and set yourself a solid base for starting university applications, and your 6th year should continue to support that learning but also lets you further yourself in other ways. Grades are obviously mega important but universities will also look for evidence that you have the key skills they're looking for, so 6th year is a great time to have a part time job, tutor younger years, start your own project in an area you love, join a sports team/hobby-based society etc.

Happy to chat to you about any of this if you want to pop me a PM! Whatever you decide to do good luck! You've clearly got a fab work ethic that will be a great bonus to you whatever you want to do after you leave school :^_^:

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
chimpboss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't take 4 advanced highers, nobody should, but I know that unless you're addicted to studying and do not want any social life taking four Adv. Highers is never a good idea. Not only is it completely unnecessary, as no course at all requires more than 3 Adv. Highers, with most only requiring 5 Highers, but it is detrimental. The amount of time you'd have to spend working on them would mean you wouldn't be able to participate in other extra cirricular activities which would do far more at boosting your chances for careers or university. I know how much my friends who take 3 advanced Highers struggle, and these are straight A students, I wouldn't wish four on any of them.
anonymous.12695
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I am taking four Advanced Highers this year and its not as bad as people make it seem. I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Spanish and I still have plenty of time for a social life and taking extra curriculars. However I would recommend that one of the subjects that you choose is easier for you (for me that's Spanish) and that you enjoy, it just makes life a lot easier. You definitely don't need 4 but if you feel like you can manage and enjoy all the subjects you choose then go for it!
Nerdythings
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by anonymous.12695)
Hey, I am taking four Advanced Highers this year and its not as bad as people make it seem. I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Spanish and I still have plenty of time for a social life and taking extra curriculars. However I would recommend that one of the subjects that you choose is easier for you (for me that's Spanish) and that you enjoy, it just makes life a lot easier. You definitely don't need 4 but if you feel like you can manage and enjoy all the subjects you choose then go for it!
Ah finally someone who managed it. How much of you time would you say you spend revising?
kerm19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Next year, i'm taking two advanced highers (French and Spanish) alongside crashing higher German and the second year of a HNC and from what i've gathered schools give you a lot of support in advanced highers. For example, since i'm doing two, I get a study column in ny timetable so thats 5 periods per week of in school revision.
anonymous.12695
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Nerdythings)
Ah finally someone who managed it. How much of you time would you say you spend revising?
Uh, honestly over the holidays I have been revising for about an hour and a half 4 times a week, but I think that revision time just depends on you and how much you think you need, its been weird this year but we're essentially still sitting exams I do feel quite prepared and I don't feel overworked. I don't revise that much during the rest of the year mostly just for tests and we get quite a bit of homework. I would say I would spend the same amount of time revising as I would last year with 5 Highers. Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.76%
Uncertainty around my education (420)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (321)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (401)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (128)
4.48%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (174)
6.09%
Loneliness (248)
8.68%
Financial worries (103)
3.61%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (116)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
4.59%
Lack of real life entertainment (153)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (253)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (272)
9.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise