SuckatMaths
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm doing my individual oral literally end of next week and I'm panicking. I'm using the global issue my teacher told me to use but I'm worried it's definitely not a global issue. It's about how people still achieve great things despite oppression, which sounds way too happy to be a global issue right? I originally had just about oppression in regimes but he changed it to that and I went with it. Did I make a mistake? Will I lose marks for it?
sam_rondas
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SuckatMaths)
I'm doing my individual oral literally end of next week and I'm panicking. I'm using the global issue my teacher told me to use but I'm worried it's definitely not a global issue. It's about how people still achieve great things despite oppression, which sounds way too happy to be a global issue right? I originally had just about oppression in regimes but he changed it to that and I went with it. Did I make a mistake? Will I lose marks for it?
Here's a quote from the IB about the requirements for your global issue:

"The global issue chosen for consideration should be significant on a wide scale, be transnational in nature, and be an issue that has an impact felt in everyday local contexts. The issue should be clearly evidenced in the extracts or texts chosen."

There are no criteria that assess how convincing or 'good' your global issue actually is. The key is that you can explain and analyze how your chosen global issue is demonstrated in your texts. The only criterion where you could be marked down for is criterion c (focus and organization). But so long as you can justify (that magical IB word!) your global issue and your texts, you'll do just fine. The key is to be confident, as it is an oral presentation, and being apprehensive about your chosen topic can make your presentation sound unconvincing (which could definitely cost you marks). It sounds like you are quite far into your course to be changing your oral topic, so I would personally recommend sticking with it and focusing on making it perfect, rather than trying to find the perfect global issue.

I did my IO last week and it feels awesome to finally get it over and done with. I know it's a stressful time but I'm sure that you will do just fine.

Good luck!
SuckatMaths
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by sam_rondas)
Here's a quote from the IB about the requirements for your global issue:

"The global issue chosen for consideration should be significant on a wide scale, be transnational in nature, and be an issue that has an impact felt in everyday local contexts. The issue should be clearly evidenced in the extracts or texts chosen."

There are no criteria that assess how convincing or 'good' your global issue actually is. The key is that you can explain and analyze how your chosen global issue is demonstrated in your texts. The only criterion where you could be marked down for is criterion c (focus and organization). But so long as you can justify (that magical IB word!) your global issue and your texts, you'll do just fine. The key is to be confident, as it is an oral presentation, and being apprehensive about your chosen topic can make your presentation sound unconvincing (which could definitely cost you marks). It sounds like you are quite far into your course to be changing your oral topic, so I would personally recommend sticking with it and focusing on making it perfect, rather than trying to find the perfect global issue.

I did my IO last week and it feels awesome to finally get it over and done with. I know it's a stressful time but I'm sure that you will do just fine.

Good luck!
Thank you so much, was really stressing about it.

Can’t wait to get it over with now, hope yours went well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.2%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.66%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.06%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.13%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (263)
48.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.33%

Watched Threads