The Student Room Group

Should I go Into Marketing or Engineering?

I want to go into Marketing in the future since it is a subject that I enjoy; my extracurriculars also match marketing pretty well. However, I also really do enjoy the Sciences + Math. I am so conflicted - please help!!
Original post by rabialtaf
I want to go into Marketing in the future since it is a subject that I enjoy; my extracurriculars also match marketing pretty well. However, I also really do enjoy the Sciences + Math. I am so conflicted - please help!!

Hi @rabialtaf,

It is great to hear you are interested in studying Marketing in the future. I am a current Marketing Management Student at Lancaster University and thoroughly enjoying it!

The great part about marketing in my opinion is pretty much everything needs marketing, so it could be that in the future you could combine your love for Science and Math with the marketing discipline. For example, you might choose to be a Marketing Assistant/ Executive/Manager/Director for a company that specializes in science. It could be a pharmaceutical company for example.

I completed my placement year in a marketing role at a large FMCG/Pharmaceutical/Medical company and learnt so much about the science behind eyes, it was one of the best years of my life!

I would recommend checking out University course outlines and entry requirements for the subjects you are interested in, chat to current students and look at potential career prospects and hopefully you will start to have a clearer picture about the direction you want to take but remember that often it takes years for people to figure out what they want their career to be, so don't worry if you aren't sure yet.

Please let me know if I can share any more information on what studying a marketing degree is like :smile:. If not, I wish you all the best with whatever direction you decide to take.

Rebecca
Final Year BSc Hons Marketing Management Student

id vote engeneering

Hey @rabialtaf!

Choosing what to study at university is a very difficult decision. If you want to go into marketing in the future, I'd say go for it! If you really are having trouble deciding between both I'd recommend to look at the modules in both courses and how you'd be assessed to have a better idea about them both. Alternatively, you can ask current students in those subjects more specific questions. If you have any questions about Marketing please ask. I'm in my second year at Surrey and really enjoying it :smile: Personally I just wouldn't have been able to do engineering.

You can view the courses at Surrey here:
Marketing
Engineering (this is a link to all UG degrees as there are different engineering courses you might want to look into)

Hope that helped.
Elena,
Business Management Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest