The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

A girl I know is spreading false rumours that I raped her, what do I do about it?

Recently one of my friends at university has told me that a girl I know has falsely accused me of raping her and I'm worried about the issues this may cause.

I do not understand why she has decided to do this but she has. The encounter in question was consensual and at the social gathering it took place at there are witnesses to support this. I was incredibly drunk but from what I remember she was the one who even initiated, so I truly don't understand why she is telling people I took advantage of her. The friends of hers who informed me know that she is lying and have told me not to worry about it as she is known for making things like this up but I can't help but still feel scared anyway as I believe she may continue to spread these false rumours to more and more people.

I tried messaging her to try and talk to her and maybe gain some understanding as to why she keeps telling people these things. She did not respond to my message for a day but I know she saw it as when I went to check this morning, she had blocked me.

I don't know what to do now and I am very worried as to what this all could mean. I fear she may take this up with the police and despite the fact that this should work out in my favour I have no faith in this countries justice system and as cynical as it may be, as a black male I feel like it's built to work against me and if it does end up in court it will not go well.

What should I do about this? I wanted to try and let it blow over but I am a person who is very easily stressed, its weighing on my mind and I cannot properly function in my life because of it.
Personally, I think you should talk to the police first before she does. As u have many witnesses including her friend, it will be in ur favour. Do not be afraid that u are black. Quickly talk to a lawyer and seek advice from him. Then proceed to talk to the police as then they'll arrest her and she'll have to back up her claim and you'll be on the safe side. If u don't talk to the officers and she does before you, unfortunately, society has a way of always believing the female when talks about rape turn up. that's y i recommend you to go to the police first so that they won't arrest u and will have to question the girl to back up her claims. She will not have any witnesses as u said and u will have plenty. so don't feel scared to tell the police. But I implore u to talk to a lawyer as quick as possible. I implore u not to wait as if she talks to the police first, then they will arrest u and it will go down the harder and longer way. pls talk first.
How do I go about doing this? Where do I go to talk to a lawyer or someone like that?
I'm considering doing this but I wasn't sure if this was acting rashly as I'm not sure if she plans on telling the police. Do you think this is definitely the best course of action for me to take?
I'm really sorry, this is awful. You need to seek some sort of help, whether that be a member of staff at the university, the police, etc. I don't know which is your best option, but you need to talk to someone.
Firstly, ask her why she is accusing you, she must have a reason, then follow the advice of the others talking on this thread.
tell the police
Original post by Dracorius
Firstly, ask her why she is accusing you, she must have a reason, then follow the advice of the others talking on this thread.

I wouldn't talk to her, I'd do immediately to the police. She may use you talking to her as evidence against you
The friends of hers who told you...how do they know she is lying? Surely, as her friends, they'd be inclined to believe her, unless she provided some reason for them NOT to believe her. This evidence could be key.
And remember that this country doesn't even prosecute actual rapists 99% of the time so unless she has hard evidence nothing will happen. And I doubt she will go to the police if she is lying.
#1: Absolutely do not contact her under any circumstances.

#2: If your friend has any proof of this accusation (e.g. messages), get copies of it.

For some much better legal advice than I or a student forum can give, consider posting on Reddit at r/LegalAdviceUK.
I don't think it's accurate to say that he will end up in jail. Only 1.7% of rape accusations in England and Wales are actually prosecuted (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rape-prosecution-england-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html), and of course, the majority of those accusations will involve actual rapes, with actual evidence. Since there is no evidence against this man, there is really no way he could be sent to prison, unless they make up evidence.
But I definitely agree with the rest of what you say. It still shouldn't be taken lightly and it sounds like a great idea to get a lawyer.
I would also add that you need to see a legal professional who has an expertise in cases like this.
Why are you using a username that identifies you....?
No its not. According to statistics, false accusations of rape are very low and certainly no higher than other types of crimes.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/key-facts-about-how-CPS-prosecutes-allegations-rape
Original post by josiahcampbell24
Recently one of my friends at university has told me that a girl I know has falsely accused me of raping her and I'm worried about the issues this may cause.

I do not understand why she has decided to do this but she has. The encounter in question was consensual and at the social gathering it took place at there are witnesses to support this. I was incredibly drunk but from what I remember she was the one who even initiated, so I truly don't understand why she is telling people I took advantage of her. The friends of hers who informed me know that she is lying and have told me not to worry about it as she is known for making things like this up but I can't help but still feel scared anyway as I believe she may continue to spread these false rumours to more and more people.

I tried messaging her to try and talk to her and maybe gain some understanding as to why she keeps telling people these things. She did not respond to my message for a day but I know she saw it as when I went to check this morning, she had blocked me.

I don't know what to do now and I am very worried as to what this all could mean. I fear she may take this up with the police and despite the fact that this should work out in my favour I have no faith in this countries justice system and as cynical as it may be, as a black male I feel like it's built to work against me and if it does end up in court it will not go well.

What should I do about this? I wanted to try and let it blow over but I am a person who is very easily stressed, its weighing on my mind and I cannot properly function in my life because of it.

Did you end up doing anything or just leaving it? I’m dealing with the same stuff, and the encounter happened about 2 years ago, everything was completely consensual. Nothing has happened and she only told a couple friends. But I think about it almost every day and I’m scared because it’s her word against mine because it was just us 2 at her house. Do you think I should leave it?

Latest

Trending

Trending