The Student Room Group

Autism

Hi all, as an autistic student i was wondering if i could have some tips on how to settle into uni life and moving away?
So I have Aspergers which may/may not be relevant. My biggest issue was that university is advertised as a very sociable affair and I'm just not really that sociable. There's pressure on you everywhere to make friends, go out, join clubs..... sometimes it can feel very uncomfortable being pressured into participating. It took me maybe a term to figure out that I was forcing myself to "fit in" when really I should have been concentrating on what would make MY university experience good, and that turned out to be having a very small group of friends who I wasn't joined at the hip to, and concentrating on my studies.
Get in touch with a your university/universities of choice and ask about what support they offer for autistic and disabled students - especially in terms of accommodation. There may also be support groups or societies you can join.
Reply 3
Original post by ravens.requiem
So I have Aspergers which may/may not be relevant. My biggest issue was that university is advertised as a very sociable affair and I'm just not really that sociable. There's pressure on you everywhere to make friends, go out, join clubs..... sometimes it can feel very uncomfortable being pressured into participating. It took me maybe a term to figure out that I was forcing myself to "fit in" when really I should have been concentrating on what would make MY university experience good, and that turned out to be having a very small group of friends who I wasn't joined at the hip to, and concentrating on my studies.

I have aspergers too. this is very helpful thank you!
Original post by Anonymous
Get in touch with a your university/universities of choice and ask about what support they offer for autistic and disabled students - especially in terms of accommodation. There may also be support groups or societies you can join.

i have Asperger's.. is there anything they do in terms of accommodation?

thanks

thanks

This will depend on your university. Whilst I do not have autism myself, the accommodation team was very generous when I had issues settling into my original room and let me move into a quieter dorm. Most universities do at least have a specific transition team for settling into the university, mine offers a course where you meet students and staff at the university and gives advice about flatmates etc.

thanks

Hey! Also an aspie here, I don't know exactly what your uni will provide but often you can include details of special requirements in your accommodation application. For example, i asked for a studio flat (only turned out being about 20-30 pounds more expensive than an en-suite room) and explained my Asperger's, and that meant they actually granted me the flat, which most people don't get. I've found its by being very open about your needs (which for me was my own space) that will get you the support you need. Exeter (spef Penryn) and Aberystwyth are phenomenal for their support systems, but all decent uni's will have one in place. Hope this helps :biggrin:
Edit: They even sometimes hold back specific room times for people with special needs like ASD or disabilities.
(edited 3 years ago)
Indeed I think most university understand the needs for some students to have their own space. When I did my placement year abroad I studied at two universities that only provided shared rooms, and it was a bit of a job to explain that the concept of sharing a room with a stranger was an absolute no. Luckily, they did both accommodate my request after my university supported me.

At my home university there are some "party" blocks and some are more suitable for mature/overseas/postgrad students who may wish to have a bit more privacy and quiet.

Quick Reply

Latest