I need to gain weight but i don’t know how

Watch
charnlaye
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Right so i am a 17 year old girl, 5ft4 and i’m only 6stone 13pounds. And yes i know i am underweight but i literally can’t gain weight, i find it so hard. I would say i eat a lot of carbs because they’re my favourite thing to eat ever and i also eat chicken and beans and things like that quite a lot. I also eat a lot of chocolate and sweets which i probably shouldn’t do but because i don’t gain weight i don’t really think about it.
Basically, i think my stomach is fine, like you can’t see my ribs or anything like that, by belly doesn’t look that skinny (it’s flat but not you know bony), my legs aren’t too skinny but i do want to gain weight on my legs (i also horse ride which is a lot of work on your thighs), my main problem is my arms. They’re SO skinny and my wrists are tiny and bony and my fingers are too, i don’t know if there’s a specific way i can gain weight on my arms,wrists and fingers, probably not but that is what i am asking, but i also just want to gain weight in general
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe consider buying some light weights? One of the benefits is that once you gain muscle mass, it’s hard to lose it. Not that I’m particularly knowledgeable on that kind of thing but consider looking online and getting something which would be comfortable for you and adjust your diet to an increase in protein (to accommodate for the increased muscle mass) and a *slight* increase in carbs to give your body the energy it needs for the workout.

Obviously stop when you’re happy with the results. 🙂
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 4 weeks ago
Nutritionist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You just need to eat more. If you get full easily then eat things that are more calorically dense. That is, things high in calories that don’t take up much room eg. Nuts, granola, oils, non-lean meats etc. Make sure you enjoy what you’re eating as well. Don’t go crazy with it and slowly gain the weight with sustainable changes.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
You just need to eat more. If you get full easily then eat things that are more calorically dense. That is, things high in calories that don’t take up much room eg. Nuts, granola, oils, non-lean meats etc. Make sure you enjoy what you’re eating as well. Don’t go crazy with it and slowly gain the weight with sustainable changes.
I think at 17, their metabolism will still be very high, hence the difficulty in gaining weight. When I was 17, I could buy a Big Mac meal and a second Big Mac and not hold back on the crisps and choc and gain nothing.

Now in my mid 20s, just watching GBBO makes me gain weight...
Last edited by Scienceisgood; 4 weeks ago
LangasLasagne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe eat above your bmr consistantly??
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
I think at 17, their metabolism will still be very high, hence the difficulty in gaining weight. When I was 17, I could buy a Big Mac meal and a second Big Mac and not hold back on the crisps and choc and gain nothing.

Now in my mid 20s, just watching GBBO makes me gained weight...
It’s higher if they’re still growing but not drastically so. It still comes down to just eating more 😅
Nutritionist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LangasLasagne)
Maybe eat above your bmr consistantly??
TDEE not BMR
PollyParrot23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know how you feel! Up until my early twenties I was 7 stone 2 at 5 ft 7 so I was massively underweight. One thing I will mention is that you can't choose where the weight goes on and it sounds as if your body shape is pear so don't be discouraged if you don't seem to be gaining upper body weight straight away (it'll get there!)

I'm in my mid twenties now and am up to 9 stone and a little bit last I checked, for me things that helped were basically the reverse of what they tell people trying to lose weight. Being generous with condiments, dressings, butter and oils. Take an extra spoon of pasta. Get full fat yoghurts. One that helped me was protein bars or nut bars as they can easily pack in 200cals a bar. Be mindful of the types of food you eat, you still want to eat a healthy and balanced diet but to gain weight you simply need to eat more! Like with weight loss, it's about consistent little habits that add up over time

Providing you have no underlying health conditions, eating more should get you there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (543)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (413)
11.13%
Lack of purpose or motivation (511)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.93%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.98%
Loneliness (313)
8.43%
Financial worries (136)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (211)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (332)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (349)
9.4%

Watched Threads