The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering vs Mechanical Engineering

Hello, I am going to start uni in September, and I am unsure whether or not to go for mechanical engineering or civil. What are the sort of differences there, and if specific enough, what is it like at Newcastle University?Thanks
I am hoping to go to uni to study civil engineering in 2022.

When I originally looked at engineering I looked into all the different disciplines - chemical, electrical, electronic, civil, mechanical etc and also narrowed it down to civil and mechanical eventually opting for Civil Engineering after researching further by reading engineering books/watching videos/online resources. I am working on getting a couple of work experience placements in Civil Engineering after this years exams to confirm this is what I want to do. Both Civil and Mechanical have many areas within them - Civil (structural, construction, traffic, geotechnical etc etc), Mechanical (automotive, packaging, manufacturing, marine, thermal etc etc) - this helps with some ideas https://whatisengineering.com/engineering-disciplines/

While both are engineering and obviously need strong math's skills, physics, excellent problem solving and communication skills and a desire to improve something that will have a postive impact, there a major differences between the two:

large scale public structural projects vs machines/mechanical devices
using analytical data to build a skyscraper vs develop mechanical devices
work with architects and planners on buildings which are familiar vs more creative approach to complex machinery
work with government and compliance vs minimal red tape in private companies
work on paper analysing building materials/soil etc vs hands on testing of prototypes

Research carefully to find out where your interests lie as I think engineering will be very challenging and needs a real passion to succeed, all disciplines look like great careers if they are the right one for you.

Also look into if your long term goal is to be an incorporated Engineer (BEng) or a charted Engineer (MEng) and choose the right course for that goal:

Should I become a chartered engineer or an incorporated engineer?

Is it better to aim for incorporated or chartered engineer status? The Engineering Council defines the two levels as follows:

'Chartered engineers (CEng) develop solutions to engineering problems using new or existing technologies through innovation, creation and change and they may have technical accountability for complex systems with significant levels of risk.'

'Incorporated engineers maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology, and may undertake engineering design, development, manufacture, construction and operation.'.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by kmxol15
Hello, I am going to start uni in September, and I am unsure whether or not to go for mechanical engineering or civil. What are the sort of differences there, and if specific enough, what is it like at Newcastle University?Thanks

Civil engineering is about roads, buildings, bridges - infrastructure, basically.

Mechanical is about machines - things that move, fly, etc.

Well, it's not quite as simple as that (fortunately!), but that basic line of thought can help inform what route you'd like to take if you're pre-university.

Quick Reply