The Student Room Group

Would you date someone who doesn't drive?

Both guys and girls, is it a deal breaker if the person you're dating or interested in doesn't drive?

As a guy, personally it's not an immediate deal breaker. But I'm quite an ambitious person. For someone to commit to passing their test and being able to run/maintain a car seems pretty ambitious and attractive. Not everyone can or wants to drive for various reasons (e.g. Anxiety, or medical reasons) but that ambition can manifest in other ways. If that makes sense?

I passed my test when I was 18 but didn't actually buy a car until I was 22 (I needed refresher lessons at this point).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Both guys and girls, is it a deal breaker if the person you're dating or interested in doesn't drive?

As a guy, personally it's not an immediate deal breaker. But I'm quite an ambitious person. For someone to commit to passing their test and being able to run/maintain a car seems pretty ambitious and attractive. Not everyone can or wants to drive for various reasons (e.g. Anxiety, or medical reasons) but that ambition can manifest in other ways. If that makes sense?

I passed my test when I was 18 but didn't actually buy a car until I was 22 (I needed refresher lessons at this point).

Nah idrc as long as she's still finding other ways to transport to meet
Ain’t that deep
what is it with people wnating to date ppl who drive
not everyone will drive
Reply 4
It would be something I'd have to consider. I live quite rural and if there's any distance between us or anything planned such as a trip, it would mean I would have to drive. My ex got to the point where he expected me to be a chauffeur and to run around after him, so I'd be really reluctant to get back into that sort of situation again. I like independence and someone who's self-sufficient. It doesn't mean that I wouldn't be happy to date someone who doesn't drive but it has to go both ways.
Why would it matter at all? Unless you live in rural areas there is little actual need to have a vehicle of one's own. Using "passing a driving test" as a measure of ambition is also very misguided because a) it's a very low bar for those who are able to pursue that goal and b) many people may be unable to due to personal or financial situations.

Learning to drive is actually relatively expensive if you are paying for it by yourself, and also time consuming, especially if you are already working or in a full time degree programme or similar. Not everybody has the opportunity to learn to drive on afternoons after school, so arbitrarily discriminating against them in relationships because of this seems kind of dumb.

Also as noted for those who do or did have the opportunity, passing ones driving test does not really require a great deal of effort or motivation outside of having several hours of free time each week and the money to pay for the lessons. For people whose parents are paying for their lessons that they go to once a week after school, learning to drive is really just the sum of minimally turning up and paying attention. Hardly a state that I would call "motivated".

Basically it seems pretty dumb and shallow to judge people on the basis of whether they can drive or not.
Well personally, I would prefer someone that can drive so it's more fun for long drives or something.
But if someone can't or isn't willing to, I wouldn't take it as a deal breaker ,it's their life and I can't pressure them. If you really like them, you'd stay?
Yes.
I don't have a 'must drive', have own car/motor vehicle or drivers licence type of dating dealbreakers.
Although I wouldn't date a guy ideologically hostile towards other people driving or car ownership.
Nor get closely involved with anyone that viewed me as a potential means of accessing free transport.
Yes. I can drive, but I don’t have a car at the minute. Why are you anon and is there a particular reason why you started the thread?
Original post by artful_lounger
Why would it matter at all?

Basically it seems pretty dumb and shallow to judge people on the basis of whether they can drive or not.

Some people have an intense ideological hostility against driving motor vehicles due to reasons connected with family tradition, religious beliefs or ecology.
My mother grew up in an ultra-traditionalist religious household during the 1960s where electricity, the telephone, secular sweets, painkillers, vaccines and a few dozen other things were all classified as evil sins.
I would date a girl who doesn't drive
No, because we can walk to places which take longer which means more time spent together.
Original post by ImagineNotDating
No, because we can walk to places which take longer which means more time spent together.

Don't you mean yes then?
Original post by GabiAbi84
Being able to run and maintain a car is ambitious and attractive??

Wtf sort of mentality is that?

Yes because when you learn to drive are determined to be able to pass your test, get a car and everything so its setting goals for yourself which is good. It also shows you have a resposabilty to maintain a car
No worries, we'll get a driverless car:biggrin:
I’d want them to at least be planning to learn to drive. Life is just more convenient if you can.
I drive so I don't mind if they do not. I like driving them to places. But then they'd owe me and we can roleplay... perhaps...:redface:
Original post by GabiAbi84
Being able to run and maintain a car is ambitious and attractive??

Wtf sort of mentality is that?

Plenty of people view driving within the law & car ownership as indicative of a variety of characteristics and positive elements.
Independence, sensible priorities, having incentive/focus/foresight, making an effort to boost standard of living & employability and create favourable first impressions.
Sometimes it can get taken to obsessive levels when seeking assessing a stranger's standard of living and potential.
I already do. My boyfriend doesn't drive and neither do I. We take uber everywhere, in todays day and age it shouldn't really be a big thing seen as taxi's are readily available.

It would only be a problem if he wanted to take the bus everywhere like my ex did haha, he was big on saving money and didn't like always taking a taxi... even though I offered to pay for it most of the time he was still kinda anal about that. So just find yourself a guy who is into taking uber.
Original post by Anonymous
Don't you mean yes then?

Yeah I meant yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending