Will I get taller and can I boost my height potential?

Watch
UMP43
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am 5ft 8in at 16 years old and I am not happy with my height. I would like to be taller as all of my school friends are much taller and I always feel left out and 'just the short guy'. I HATE it and I am really hoping I can growth a few or lots of inches before 18... Is there anyway I can BOOST my max height potential by myself?

Thanks
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yes height is both genetic and environmentally-determined but at your age you don't have much chance for the environmental factors to have a strong impact

i was probably taller than you at 16 but only by an inch or two, nevertheless i kept growing for at least 3 years so there's still a chance you'll continue growing. when did you start going through puberty? that might be indicative of whether you'll still grow

if not, though, learn to live with it because feeling you're being left out because of your height is a really self-destroying feeling and you already sound oddly bitter for someone not-that-far-below the average height
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
yes height is both genetic and environmentally-determined but at your age you don't have much chance for the environmental factors to have a strong impact

i was probably taller than you at 16 but only by an inch or two, nevertheless i kept growing for at least 3 years so there's still a chance you'll continue growing. when did you start going through puberty? that might be indicative of whether you'll still grow

if not, though, learn to live with it because feeling you're being left out because of your height is a really self-destroying feeling and you already sound oddly bitter for someone not-that-far-below the average height
I honestly cant remember exactly but I think I started puberty later instead of on time or earlier so does this mean I will have a late growth spurt in my 17 or 18's? Also I sound bitter and I am because it is not great when everyone is taller than you
Anonymous #1
Report 2 months ago
I’m 21 and 5 ft 6.....there is always someone in the world in a worser situation than you lol, wish I was 5 ft 8 just whatever you do don’t believe these miracle pills that make you grow and chances are you might grow a little at 17-18.
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 21 and 5 ft 6.....there is always someone in the world in a worser situation than you lol, wish I was 5 ft 8 just whatever you do don’t believe these miracle pills that make you grow and chances are you might grow a little at 17-18.
Well the saying is true there is always someone worse off I guess. But I just really want to be a couple inches taller! Like 5ft 10inch! Hopefully I can grow a little more before my plates close up
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by UMP43)
I honestly cant remember exactly but I think I started puberty later instead of on time or earlier so does this mean I will have a late growth spurt in my 17 or 18's? Also I sound bitter and I am because it is not great when everyone is taller than you
I had late puberty as well and a late growth spurt.
People with late growth spurts often end up being taller
I was probably 162 cm tall when I was 15-16 and I'm now 183 cm as a 19 year old-I am probably taller than the people I was shorter than back in the day.
Alongside good nutrition you can try stretching (like hanging from a bar for 1 or 2 minutes)
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_J_B)
I had late puberty as well and a late growth spurt.
People with late growth spurts often end up being taller
I was probably 162 cm tall when I was 15-16 and I'm now 183 cm as a 19 year old-I am probably taller than the people I was shorter than back in the day.
Alongside good nutrition you can try stretching (like hanging from a bar for 1 or 2 minutes)
That is great to hear! So hopefully I can follow suit! Did you do anything to maximize your growth before you were 19?
A_J_B
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by UMP43)
That is great to hear! So hopefully I can follow suit! Did you do anything to maximize your growth before you were 19?
I did some stretching like I mentioned but I think it's important to have good nutrition and exercise
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by UMP43)
I am 5ft 8in at 16 years old and I am not happy with my height. I would like to be taller as all of my school friends are much taller and I always feel left out and 'just the short guy'. I HATE it and I am really hoping I can growth a few or lots of inches before 18... Is there anyway I can BOOST my max height potential by myself?

Thanks
you might grow a little more if you're lucky......

5ft 8 isn't terrible though..
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You could grow, but it's not certain. Unless you're currently malnourished, there's nothing you can do to increase your height.
A_J_B
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by UMP43)
Most people on here are wrongly assuming you won't grow because of your numerical age.
It depends on how far into puberty you are (which is impossible for me to tell). The growth spurt in puberty adds about 20-25 cm of height.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
at 16 you are likely to grow another couple of inches but 5 ft 8 isn't massively short.

To be honest if girls are a factor in this then I actually tend to go for relatively shorter guys rather than tall ones (I like athletic looking guys and a lot-not all but a lot- of tall guys I know are very slim) so don't worry!
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
at 16 you are likely to grow another couple of inches but 5 ft 8 isn't massively short.

To be honest if girls are a factor in this then I actually tend to go for relatively shorter guys rather than tall ones (I like athletic looking guys and a lot-not all but a lot- of tall guys I know are very slim) so don't worry!
It wasn't so much the girls lol it was more most of my mates are taller than me
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_J_B)
Most people on here are wrongly assuming you won't grow because of your numerical age.
It depends on how far into puberty you are (which is impossible for me to tell). The growth spurt in puberty adds about 20-25 cm of height.
Yeah hopefully I'll have that growth spurt! Also could you please recommend me healthy meals you seem to know a lot!
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
you might grow a little more if you're lucky......

5ft 8 isn't terrible though..
its not terrible but its not good either lol
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Maybe a couple inches yeah man, when I was 15 turning 16 I was 5'10 / 5'11 ish, now I'm 17 turning 18 later this year and last I checked back before lockdown I was just over 6'1
A_J_B
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by UMP43)
Yeah hopefully I'll have that growth spurt! Also could you please recommend me healthy meals you seem to know a lot!
With regards to healthy meals you should have a balanced diet.
Protein source-eggs (I used to have at least 2 eggs a day), Milk, Meat, lentils (also used to have loadsss of this)
Balance that with enough carbs (rice for example). Fats (cheese/butter) have a bad rep but they are extremely important. Have loads of fruits and veg as well. It is also key to have as much fresh food as possible (minimise preservative-rich foods wherever possible)

For most of my growth phase, my mum used to cook for me so I don't remember the details of each meal-however as long as you are getting the important nutrients you should be fine. You don't need to be an incredible chef to have a healthy diet
Last edited by A_J_B; 2 months ago
UMP43
Rep:
?
(Original post by A_J_B)
With regards to healthy meals you should have a balanced diet.
Protein source-eggs (I used to have at least 2 eggs a day), Milk, Meat, lentils (also used to have loadsss of this)
Balance that with enough carbs (rice for example). Fats (cheese/butter) have a bad rep but they are extremely important. Have loads of fruits and veg as well. It is also key to have as much fresh food as possible (minimise preservative-rich foods wherever possible)

For most of my growth phase, my mum used to cook for me so I don't remember the details of each meal-however as long as you are getting the important nutrients you should be fine. You don't need to be an incredible chef to have a healthy diet
Thank you so much! This is great information!
UMP43
Rep:
?
Just more details and one thing I am curious about... My Mum is 5ft 7in I think and my Dad is 5ft 9in and my Sister who is 19 years old is 5ft 11in! And then there is me at 5ft 8in at 16!? Will I grow to be like my Sisters height? Why is she taller than me? Did she get the tall genes and I didn't? Or I'm I gonna have a late growth spurt?
A_J_B
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by UMP43)
Just more details and one thing I am curious about... My Mum is 5ft 7in I think and my Dad is 5ft 9in and my Sister who is 19 years old is 5ft 11in! And then there is me at 5ft 8in at 16!? Will I grow to be like my Sisters height? Why is she taller than me? Did she get the tall genes and I didn't? Or I'm I gonna have a late growth spurt?
Women/girls usually go through puberty earlier than boys/men do. Her growth spurt has probably happened already.
You may well become taller than her . If you haven't had any spurt yet you will probably be atleast 172+20=192 cm - if your spurt has started (which may be likely) you can hopefully become 180+ cm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (79)
27.53%
England (97)
33.8%
Belgium (24)
8.36%
Germany (36)
12.54%
Spain (5)
1.74%