How to get over driving anxiety?

Watch
Manclass98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Slightly different from previous threads of mine, but something I've been thinking about more recently.

I had huge anxiety when learning to drive, and I've had my license for almost 2 years now. I've noticed when I drive, I sometimes totally disassociate and zone out. I don't do it often, but I've been in some really anxiety-inducing situations.
Today for example, I was driving in an unfamiliar area with really confusing traffic lights for each lane, which already heightened my anxiety. I ended up jumping a red light without realising, tried to stop but it was too late, and needed to keep going before another car coming my way was inches away from smashing into the passenger side of the car.

I feel absolutely awful, and literally don't know what I'd do if I caused an accident, or if the car missed me and ended up going into an innocent driver. It really concerns me because I'm a relatively safe driver 9 times out of 10. Never had points or a fine for anything, but I'm surprised with the very few times this has happened, I haven't received anything for it, and I'm concerned one day it will happen.

Any tips to help driving anxiety and concentration?
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You just need to drive more. More experience will help you feel more confident. Push your boundaries, drive to some new places and put yourself up to new challenges.

The night after my partner passed her test I chucked her on the motorway in the rain, and in the dark. It...wasn't a pleasant experience for her. But she made it through and now while she doesn't particularly like driving on the motorway in the rain or at night, she can do it, and she knows she can.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I believe passing the test demonstrates a reasonable level of competence. To help with concentration tips try reading Roadcraft the police driving manual and when things allow consider getting tuition for the Advanced Driving Test with IAM or RoSPA (it’s cheap as the instructors are volunteers). Driving errors are not uncommon, although of course to be minimised, and increasing experience helps.
Last edited by Zarek; 4 weeks ago
Manclass98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
You just need to drive more. More experience will help you feel more confident. Push your boundaries, drive to some new places and put yourself up to new challenges.

The night after my partner passed her test I chucked her on the motorway in the rain, and in the dark. It...wasn't a pleasant experience for her. But she made it through and now while she doesn't particularly like driving on the motorway in the rain or at night, she can do it, and she knows she can.
I think that’s most of the problem. I don’t own my own car, just using a family members when I can which isn’t very often as I don’t live close to them, so don’t drive a lot. I’ve around 6 full months of experience over the last 19/20 months since passing. I passed first time with only 3/4 minors, and always found learning a really stressful time. I enjoy driving now, but just blips that I want to eradicate as quickly as possible to avoid any accidents. Thank you for this!
goggleyed
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Take a couple of long deep breaths before you start the car then proceed to not overthink everything. Thats what I do. Whats the worse that can happen? If you're careful theres no reason why you should crash into anyone.
JIMIN k
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do not overthink and reduce anxiety
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Manclass98)
I think that’s most of the problem. I don’t own my own car, just using a family members when I can which isn’t very often as I don’t live close to them, so don’t drive a lot. I’ve around 6 full months of experience over the last 19/20 months since passing. I passed first time with only 3/4 minors, and always found learning a really stressful time. I enjoy driving now, but just blips that I want to eradicate as quickly as possible to avoid any accidents. Thank you for this!
Something else you can do is watch some dashcam videos on YouTube. "UK Dash Cameras" is one of the better UK based ones. It may help you being able to see how accidents unfold, which will help you be more prepared when out driving around. It's like your hazard perception test, but they actually end in accidents or near misses.
mak1904
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You just need to get more practice on the road, you could get a driving simulator, that might increase the appeal of actual driving for you.
Elenngilbrt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not the end of the world even you hit your car you will learn from your mistakes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (197)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (564)
14.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (439)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (537)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (193)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (233)
5.98%
Loneliness (329)
8.44%
Financial worries (143)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (153)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (175)
4.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (219)
5.62%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (350)
8.98%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (366)
9.39%

Watched Threads