?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think sooo loo
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am... Sympathetic. This is simultaneously the best and most incompetent government in my lifetime.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
I am... Sympathetic. This is simultaneously the best and most incompetent government in my lifetime.
So......average in other words. lol.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
So......average in other words. lol.
Probably above average, that's how awful new labour, the coalition and May have been! 😂
hotpud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Probably above average, that's how awful new labour, the coalition and May have been! 😂
I think the simple question to ask, is what does Boris actually stand for? (other than himself obviously)
RamseyGOAT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I actually think the coalition did a brilliant job. And while it may be an unpopular opinion among the young, I think it was the correct decision to call for a referendum
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
(Original post by hotpud)
I think the simple question to ask, is what does Boris actually stand for? (other than himself obviously)
He stands for Britain, I will always be thankful for him as he has taken us out of the EU.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hotpud)
Pretty much himself, like you said!

But that's also a better position than what Blairism (and it's Tory equivalent) stands for.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RamseyGOAT)
I actually think the coalition did a brilliant job.

And while it may be an unpopular opinion among the young, I think it was the correct decision to call for a referendum
How? What was so brilliant about it?

I mainly remember failing immigration targets, stupid foreign Intervention, gay marriage and the tuition fees debacle.

I'm a Brexiteer so I agree.
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
How? What was so brilliant about it?

I mainly remember failing immigration targets, stupid foreign Intervention, gay marriage and the tuition fees debacle.

I'm a Brexiteer so I a
Fixed the deficit, did good work on pensions, same sex marriage. Actually lasted as a coaltion
Cheese Bits
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fixed the deficit
The coalition may have brought the deficit down but they absolutely failed to fix it. We were promised a surplus by 2015.

Instead successive governments dominated by The Conservatives have run deficit for eleven years straight and increasing government debt to levels not seen since the early 1960s. It shows a level of fiscal irresponsibility that not even Gordon Brown could achieve.
LordBerkut
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He only (grudgingly) implemented (limited) quarantine measures after a year of death and economic destruction. He locked down too late every single time, and he'll do it again. He gleefully authorised weapon sales to the Saudi's after god knowns how many children were blown to bits because there was 'no clear risk' to civilians. He's used the pandemic to funnel tax payer's money in to the pockets of his incompetent friends.

What is good about him exactly? That he mumbles about Churchill and waves little British flags? If the opposition was doing the exact same things, Boris supporters would be foaming at the mouth about it.
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
(Original post by LordBerkut)
He only (grudgingly) implemented (limited) quarantine measures after a year of death and economic destruction. He locked down too late every single time, and he'll do it again. He gleefully authorised weapon sales to the Saudi's after god knowns how many children were blown to bits because there was 'no clear risk' to civilians. He's used the pandemic to funnel tax payer's money in to the pockets of his incompetent friends.

What is good about him exactly? That he mumbles about Churchill and waves little British flags? If the opposition was doing the exact same things, Boris supporters would be foaming at the mouth about it.
Nothing wrong with good trade, no concrete proof of the accusations. The economy is bouncing back well now. The friends bit is sadly true but every govt is corrupt
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nothing wrong with good trade, no concrete proof of the accusations. The economy is bouncing back well now. The friends bit is sadly true but every govt is corrupt
The economy is bouncing back well now?

Really? Are you sure? I think, even with furlough, employment is down 700,000, when furlough finishes that is going to just be the starting point, small business have taken on massive loans , a lot will see these later kill them, the deficit is through the roof, consumer prices are rising ( our food bills plus our utilities) and it is not inconceivable we will now get fairly strong inflation- a perfect storm.

In my day to day life wWe already have our highest commercial property void rate in five years, I have tenants paying half rent and once the financial support taps get shut more are likely to follow, each tenant handing back the keys has been an employer, these are the jobs just going. My next door neighbour has six shops, he is currently packing Amazon orders and even when business restarts he doubts he will see the tourists his shops need to survive, two Edinburgh Festivals effectively missed , will, say, the Americans even be leaving the USA by 2022 to visit abroad, or will they, like a lot of the UK, curtail foreign travel.

Then we have Brexit, the non tarriff barriers (The Teething issues per our brave government, total *******s,) these are structural issues arising from an agreement they bulldozed through the Commons with virtually no scrutiny and it appears most of them did not read or understand what they had agreed, rule one , read what you sign, understand what you sign. Frankly most of our Cabinet have little real work experience beyond playing politics, it shows, they either convince themselves it says what they want it to or shrug their shoulders because, lets face it, it will be the little people who take the pain from their incompetence, not them; the one guarantee for a failed Minister is post politics someone will offer you a nice little earner.

Still, every cloud, the Conservatives own the lot, nobody else is driving. Tomorrow I am expecting various discussion papers re taxation to get released, doubt any will be good new for anyone.

Now for me, not a problem really, I am of an age (60) where I can live on my savings until I die, worst I am getting is a reduction in my budget for holidays, or restrictions taking holidays for a long time, but if you are younger, just starting out, this looks like the 1980s all over again, graduate from a decent university (in my case Edinburgh in 1983) and then pull pints as there are few graduate employment prospects, if employers can choose between new graduates and those with experience which do they choose?

Still, you evidently voted for the current shower so some of you will get what you deserve and the others will be mere collateral damage.
LordBerkut
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just good trade

How can you be an apologist for our part in this? Oh yes, you've sacrificed your morals upon the altar of the fat fraudster.
Last edited by LordBerkut; 4 weeks ago
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
(Original post by DJKL)
The economy is bouncing back well now?

Really? Are you sure? I think, even with furlough, employment is down 700,000, when furlough finishes that is going to just be the starting point, small business have taken on massive loans , a lot will see these later kill them, the deficit is through the roof, consumer prices are rising ( our food bills plus our utilities) and it is not inconceivable we will now get fairly strong inflation- a perfect storm.

In my day to day life wWe already have our highest commercial property void rate in five years, I have tenants paying half rent and once the financial support taps get shut more are likely to follow, each tenant handing back the keys has been an employer, these are the jobs just going. My next door neighbour has six shops, he is currently packing Amazon orders and even when business restarts he doubts he will see the tourists his shops need to survive, two Edinburgh Festivals effectively missed , will, say, the Americans even be leaving the USA by 2022 to visit abroad, or will they, like a lot of the UK, curtail foreign travel.

Then we have Brexit, the non tarriff barriers (The Teething issues per our brave government, total *******s,) these are structural issues arising from an agreement they bulldozed through the Commons with virtually no scrutiny and it appears most of them did not read or understand what they had agreed, rule one , read what you sign, understand what you sign. Frankly most of our Cabinet have little real work experience beyond playing politics, it shows, they either convince themselves it says what they want it to or shrug their shoulders because, lets face it, it will be the little people who take the pain from their incompetence, not them; the one guarantee for a failed Minister is post politics someone will offer you a nice little earner.

Still, every cloud, the Conservatives own the lot, nobody else is driving. Tomorrow I am expecting various discussion papers re taxation to get released, doubt any will be good new for anyone.

Now for me, not a problem really, I am of an age (60) where I can live on my savings until I die, worst I am getting is a reduction in my budget for holidays, or restrictions taking holidays for a long time, but if you are younger, just starting out, this looks like the 1980s all over again, graduate from a decent university (in my case Edinburgh in 1983) and then pull pints as there are few graduate employment prospects, if employers can choose between new graduates and those with experience which do they choose?

Still, you evidently voted for the current shower so some of you will get what you deserve and the others will be mere collateral damage.
Ok mate calm down, I think my prospects could be good probs going for medicine not even sure about doing it here. Look the economy is doing well in comparison to other major economies and we will be fully open before any other major western powers. Every country has suffered ue will slowly come back to a normal level.
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
(Original post by LordBerkut)
Just good trade

How can you be an apologist for our part in this? Oh yes, you've sacrificed your morals upon the altar of the fat fraudster.
Well u didn’t need to send that before I go to sleep now did u? I think you all need to calm down, the economy has to be financed somehow
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok mate calm down, I think my prospects could be good probs going for medicine not even sure about doing it here. Look the economy is doing well in comparison to other major economies and we will be fully open before any other major western powers. Every country has suffered ue will slowly come back to a normal level.
And your rosy analysis is based upon what precisely, disrupting supply routes to and from the EU? As an example, once we have lambing and they are fattened to be sold into Europe, their main market, how are we getting these into the EU, if not the EU who is buying them, at what price? All animals alive, animal products, face similar issues to seafood exports, what gives you confidence this activity will survive?

Cross border professional services where qualifications no longer recognised in the EU, what about these, say pharma industry consulting, auditing, how is this to work.

Manufacturing with a service element, sell you the kit but the profits are made in the say 5-10 year service contract with the machine, if the UK engineer's qualifications no longer recognised who signs off the servicing reports? I know at least one fellow accountant with a manufacturer who has had to set up a servicing division within the EU to keep selling to them, there are no doubt plenty more, that is jobs into the EU and profits taxable in the EU.

Minford, that eminent economist for Brexit, always said it would kill UK agriculture and manufacturing, how does our economy bounce back with both industries hamstrung and tourism in tatters?

And then we get to financial services and passporting, what is agreed re that, what deal did our Brave Boris make re that? Zip, nada, but yet it will all be fine.

Before Covid we had a fair headwind , after Covid we are in a weaker position with a headwind, what optimism can any of this generate, on what do you base your optimism, blind faith, Boris says it, I love Boris so he must be right, maybe wake up to the fact that Brexit was a lot more complicated than they suggested, a lot more technical, and our team don't do technical, they are blustering , inexperienced, blowhards.
Last edited by DJKL; 4 weeks ago
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Am I the only person who likes this government and backs Boris Johnson
There are some who like this government and Boris but I suspect your a minority.

On the government itself I did not mind it's pre-pandemic plans but there was nothing outstanding. On Boris, I don't mind him but he is not temperamentaly fit to be Prime Minister (likewise I like Patel but her actions in Israel mean she should not be in parliament).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (134)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (402)
14.82%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (302)
11.13%
Lack of purpose or motivation (381)
14.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (123)
4.53%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (164)
6.04%
Loneliness (232)
8.55%
Financial worries (100)
3.69%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (110)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (143)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (238)
8.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (260)
9.58%

Watched Threads