imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
And your rosy analysis is based upon what precisely, disrupting supply routes to and from the EU? As an example, once we have lambing and they are fattened to be sold into Europe, their main market, how are we getting these into the EU, if not the EU who is buying them, at what price? All animals alive, animal products, face similar issues to seafood exports, what gives you confidence this activity will survive?

Cross border professional services where qualifications no longer recognised in the EU, what about these, say pharma industry consulting, auditing, how is this to work.

Manufacturing with a service element, sell you the kit but the profits are made in the say 5-10 year service contract with the machine, if the UK engineer's qualifications no longer recognised who signs off the servicing reports? I know at least one fellow accountant with a manufacturer who has had to set up a servicing division within the EU to keep selling to them, there are no doubt plenty more, that is jobs into the EU and profits taxable in the EU.

Minford, that eminent economist for Brexit, always said it would kill UK agriculture and manufacturing, how does our economy bounce back with both industries hamstrung and tourism in tatters?

And then we get to financial services and passporting, what is agreed re that, what deal did our Brave Boris make re that? Zip, nada, but yet it will all be fine.

Before Covid we had a fair headwind , after Covid we are in a weaker position with a headwind, what optimism can any of this generate, on what do you base your optimism, blind faith, Boris says it, I love Boris so he must be right, maybe wake up to the fact that Brexit was a lot more complicated than they suggested, a lot more technical, and our team don't do technical, they are blustering , inexperienced, blowhards.
Absolutely looking forward to the posters response to this.
RamseyGOAT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
And your rosy analysis is based upon what precisely, disrupting supply routes to and from the EU? As an example, once we have lambing and they are fattened to be sold into Europe, their main market, how are we getting these into the EU, if not the EU who is buying them, at what price? All animals alive, animal products, face similar issues to seafood exports, what gives you confidence this activity will survive?

Cross border professional services where qualifications no longer recognised in the EU, what about these, say pharma industry consulting, auditing, how is this to work.

Manufacturing with a service element, sell you the kit but the profits are made in the say 5-10 year service contract with the machine, if the UK engineer's qualifications no longer recognised who signs off the servicing reports? I know at least one fellow accountant with a manufacturer who has had to set up a servicing division within the EU to keep selling to them, there are no doubt plenty more, that is jobs into the EU and profits taxable in the EU.

Minford, that eminent economist for Brexit, always said it would kill UK agriculture and manufacturing, how does our economy bounce back with both industries hamstrung and tourism in tatters?

And then we get to financial services and passporting, what is agreed re that, what deal did our Brave Boris make re that? Zip, nada, but yet it will all be fine.

Before Covid we had a fair headwind , after Covid we are in a weaker position with a headwind, what optimism can any of this generate, on what do you base your optimism, blind faith, Boris says it, I love Boris so he must be right, maybe wake up to the fact that Brexit was a lot more complicated than they suggested, a lot more technical, and our team don't do technical, they are blustering , inexperienced, blowhards.
Rosy analysis is based on my parents getting along basically the same as before the pandemic, because while their business’ quite obviously suffered they invested and have done well
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You are certainly not the only one.
I know a few one nation conservatives that are still fans of Boris and his gov.
Mainly due to securing a reasonable conservative majority, keeping Corbyn out of power and getting brexit done.

I voted for leave in 2016 and Boris in Dec 2019.
Although I don't support the withdrawal agreement, eu settlement scheme, massive increase in national debt or lockdown.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RamseyGOAT)
Rosy analysis is based on my parents getting along basically the same as before the pandemic, because while their business’ quite obviously suffered they invested and have done well
What do they export or manufacture for export?
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
What do they export or manufacture for export?
Oh no not that, they run three restaurants but obviously business has gone down during the pandemic for obvious reasons
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh no not that, they run three restaurants but obviously business has gone down during the pandemic for obvious reasons
So, the lull before the storm- expect a surge in demand post lockdown lifting (pent up demand being satisfied) followed by a slow downward drift as there is less money available for discretionary spending as others lose employment and eat out less, couple that with fewer staff coming into city offices as they will now more often work from home . Office take up is already slack, one merely needs to look at the share prices of Land Securities , they are well off their prior highs( my line of work is leasing our offices to others)

It is not difficult to see pressure on the hospitality sector down the track. I know one reasonably well known restaurant operator who have already given up one of their leases and when lockdown eased last year they only reopened three of their remaining four restaurants, there are certainly already more such units currently available for lease or sale if one trawls the websites which market business for sales.

Covid/brexit will be a long slow reduction in UK GDP that will impact all other business entities feeding upon the domestic economy.
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
So, the lull before the storm- expect a surge in demand post lockdown lifting (pent up demand being satisfied) followed by a slow downward drift as there is less money available for discretionary spending as others lose employment and eat out less, couple that with fewer staff coming into city offices as they will now more often work from home . Office take up is already slack, one merely needs to look at the share prices of Land Securities , they are well off their prior highs( my line of work is leasing our offices to others)

It is not difficult to see pressure on the hospitality sector down the track. I know one reasonably well known restaurant operator who have already given up one of their leases and when lockdown eased last year they only reopened three of their remaining four restaurants, there are certainly already more such units currently available for lease or sale if one trawls the websites which market business for sales.

Covid/brexit will be a long slow reduction in UK GDP that will impact all other business entities feeding upon the domestic economy.
I don’t think the restaurants will suffer much once everything re-opens as they are in nice, affluent areas. One of them is the busiest Indian in and around the city. Even so I don’t think it will affect us much as my parents don’t do it for the money, my mother retired at 40 and my father only does it because he hates not working.anyway my point is I like the Tories as nothings awfully affected me
barnet1471
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wish you were the only one who did but I think you are not alone. The lack of a real opposition does help Mr Johnson.
DJKL
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t think the restaurants will suffer much once everything re-opens as they are in nice, affluent areas. One of them is the busiest Indian in and around the city. Even so I don’t think it will affect us much as my parents don’t do it for the money, my mother retired at 40 and my father only does it because he hates not working.anyway my point is I like the Tories as nothings awfully affected me
"I'm all right, Jack"
Contested Claim
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
We've seen creeping overreach of government over the last few years but Johnson has cast off any doubts that statism is at the heart of modern British conservatism.

He has whole-heartedly embraced big government, highly centralised decision making, reckless government spending, and launched an assault on civil liberties.

Then we see that his response to covid saw him repeatedly make bad, indecisive, reactive decisions.

So, no I don't like him. His tenure as PM has pushed Britain in a direction that the minority of us who favour small, limited government do not want to see.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
I am... Sympathetic. This is simultaneously the best and most incompetent government in my lifetime.
How is it the best?

Like on what metric has this government done well...?

Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
my point is I like the Tories as nothings awfully affected me
Just to check, your life hasn't been negatively affected over the last year?

Was your life just a world of nexflix and video games before...?

Or do you mean because neither you nor your family have died this is all OK? You realise as a young person you'll be paying for this for the next 30-40 years right?
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Just to check, your life hasn't been negatively affected over the last year?

Was your life just a world of nexflix and video games before...?

Or do you mean because neither you nor your family have died this is all OK? You realise as a young person you'll be paying for this for the next 30-40 years right?
Nothing the Conservative party have done has affected me that much is what I meant. All the other parties would have put us in lockdown as well. So I’m taking it on that level ofc life was different before Covid. My point is no party would have done better than the Tories and overall myself, family and friends have all come out of this quite well. I don’t know if I’ll be paying for it or not, I’m not sure how you do to. Your not a psychic mate.
Contested Claim
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t know if I’ll be paying for it or not, I’m not sure how you do to. Your not a psychic mate.
Unless you intend to spend your entire adult life claiming benefits and not working, you'll be paying for Conservative borrowing over the last 11 years, in particular this last year, through taxation.

You don't need to be psychic to understand this, you just need a basic level of education.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
How is it the best?

Like on what metric has this government done well...?

Compared to the other governments of the last thirty years (from a socially conservative perspective) .

This is in part due to not doing anything- which is an improvement on doing the wrong thing: no foreign wars or promotion of left wing causes.

Boris has achieved a stable mildly popular government that has done brexit and is even slightly pushing back against left wing cultural dominance. He has also, a personal highlight, purged the party of problematic MPs which very few leaders have the guts to do.

Of course that isn't good enough and he could do much better. I also disagree with his IMO OTT response to Covid. I'd like to see Boris take a tougher position on immigration and take on big tech but I doubt he can be bothered. I doubt he'll take the party/ country more to the right but he's been a half decent catalyst.
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Contested Claim)
Unless you intend to spend your entire adult life claiming benefits and not working, you'll be paying for Conservative borrowing over the last 11 years, in particular this last year, through taxation.

You don't need to be psychic to understand this, you just need a basic level of education.
You realise almost every generation has had to do this it’s nothing new. Every generation goes through tax rises and cuts. And what I meant is I don’t know if I’ll still be in the UK or not. Like I meant it personally for me
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing the Conservative party have done has affected me that much is what I meant. All the other parties would have put us in lockdown as well. So I’m taking it on that level ofc life was different before Covid. My point is no party would have done better than the Tories and overall myself, family and friends have all come out of this quite well. I don’t know if I’ll be paying for it or not, I’m not sure how you do to. Your not a psychic mate.
Quite possibly. One can still think the government did crap even if you think the others wouldn't have done any better though.

I'm not a psychic, but I doubt you're going to leave your parents.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Compared to the other governments of the last thirty years (from a socially conservative perspective) .

This is in part due to not doing anything- which is an improvement on doing the wrong thing: no foreign wars or promotion of left wing causes.

Boris has achieved a stable mildly popular government that has done brexit and is even slightly pushing back against left wing cultural dominance. He has also, a personal highlight, purged the party of problematic MPs which very few leaders have the guts to do.

Of course that isn't good enough and he could do much better. I also disagree with his IMO OTT response to Covid. I'd like to see Boris take a tougher position on immigration and take on big tech but I doubt he can be bothered. I doubt he'll take the party/ country more to the right but he's been a half decent catalyst.
I guess not starting a war neither between Dec '19 to March '20, nor during an epidemic is an achievement.

Don't see how you can say he hasn't promoted left wing causes, he has nationalised the rail industry in all but name and created an entirely new mechanism to deliver welfare benefits.
RamseyGOAT
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quady)
Quite possibly. One can still think the government did crap even if you think the others wouldn't have done any better though.

I'm not a psychic, but I doubt you're going to leave your parents.
I’m not a mind reader but I think ur a bit bitter. And ur original point is correct one can think that, but I don’t think that.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
I guess not starting a war neither between Dec '19 to March '20, nor during an epidemic is an achievement.

Don't see how you can say he hasn't promoted left wing causes*, he has nationalised the rail industry in all but name and created an entirely new mechanism to deliver welfare benefits.
*Left wing social causes*

He's undoubtedly been lucky other than Covid I agree. It is probable that had he been PM in say 2010 he would have done the same as Cameron did. But I can only judge him on his actions when he has been in power. I agree it's not much of an achievement.

Just because somebody served during a difficult time doesn't give them bonus points esp if they made the wrong decisions eg Blair. As I said I think this is the best government not because this government is good but because the others have been far worse. I suppose it would have been more accurate to say this is the least bad government of my lifetime.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.86%
Uncertainty around my education (479)
14.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (367)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (459)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (154)
4.71%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (198)
6.05%
Loneliness (280)
8.56%
Financial worries (114)
3.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.56%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (295)
9.02%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.35%

Watched Threads