Police warn students to avoid science website

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Call me a conspiracy theorist but i find it more likely that the police are sucking at the teet of 'big academic publishing' (nah doesnt roll off the tongue does it?) as opposed to any real 'concerns'.
Nevermind their scurrilous accusations against libgen, nothing but a rude attempt to continue trying to bankrupt students with outrageous fees
Besides, the site is Kazakh hosted not 'Russian' (unless something has changed since i last checked), it feels like we're back n the cold war where absolutely anything that is even mildly related to Russia must be an evil scary thing :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-56462390
Last edited by Napp; 4 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Now that is a the best kind of free advertising, I wasn't even aware of this site. Really handy resource to have.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The woman behind this site is a respected scientist, she's Kazakh, not Russian and she spends most of her time in the US. The site is well motivated, the charges for online scientific papers to non-university people are outrageous and hold back human progress.

This is 100% a case of the UK police being co-opted into corporate defence work against the real interests of citizens.
Hallouminatus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Now that is a the best kind of free advertising, I wasn't even aware of this site. Really handy resource to have.
Yes! I suspect that students who are persuaded by these warnings to stop using Sci-hub will be outnumbered by the new users the site gains from the free advertising.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Sci-hub got me through final year, literally everything i needed was behind a pay wall which is kind of ridiculous when you consider how much we were all paying to be there
-Imperator-
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Call me a conspiracy theorist but i find it more likely that the police are sucking at the teet of 'big academic publishing' (nah doesnt roll off the tongue does it?) as opposed to any real 'concerns'.
Nevermind their scurrilous accusations against libgen, nothing but a rude attempt to continue trying to bankrupt students with outrageous fees
Besides, the site is Kazakh hosted not 'Russian' (unless something has changed since i last checked), it feels like we're back n the cold war where absolutely anything that is even mildly related to Russia must be an evil scary thing :rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/education-56462390
The funny thing about this is that in my experience, academics themselves aren't particularly stringent about intellectual property standards. So many of my professors over the years have distributed 'dodgy' pdf copies of books and journals from their private stashes, and we even once had a lecturer encourage us to torrent the textbook he wrote. (Obviously when it comes to personal/unpublished research, things are very different.)
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Never heard of it. Bookmarked now for after I finish my studies and still want to find research.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by -Imperator-)
The funny thing about this is that in my experience, academics themselves aren't particularly stringent about intellectual property standards. So many of my professors over the years have distributed 'dodgy' pdf copies of books and journals from their private stashes, and we even once had a lecturer encourage us to torrent the textbook he wrote. (Obviously when it comes to personal/unpublished research, things are very different.)
Oh aye, most of mine took the view that knowledge should be shared and if you email the author of a paper theyl usually send you a copy back because the publishers screw them just as much as they screw students :lol:
I did find the large book of poorly scanned pdfs we were given at undergrad amusing though, if irritating because they were unreadable.. better than the teachers forcing us to buy their books though :lol:
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They tell me to avoid but they just did the exact opposite thing to me, I now WANT to use it lol.
It's outrages how I have to pay 40 or 70 quid or more for a few papers just to find out they were utterly useless for my research. Knowledge should be free
Napp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)
They tell me to avoid but they just did the exact opposite thing to me, I now WANT to use it lol.
It's outrages how I have to pay 40 or 70 quid or more for a few papers just to find out they were utterly useless for my research. Knowledge should be free
Preach. This was the specific reason the site was set up and unlike TPB this and libgen are almost exclusively for academic and technical work. Like the idea of spending $800 for a textbook (which obviously the library doesnt have :lol: ) is morally offensive in the first place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (436)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (333)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (413)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (138)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.07%
Loneliness (255)
8.6%
Financial worries (109)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (160)
5.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.8%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (280)
9.44%

Watched Threads